system freezes after loggin in

After entering user name and password, the computer freezes but ctrl-alt-del
does active the task manager. Users with admin rights can log in fine.
I've tried copying a working profile to the default user but it didn't work.
Also provided appropriate rights to winnt dir. Any thoughts? I had this
problem many years ago but cannot remember how to remedy beyond reinstalling
the OS.

TIA
9 answers Last reply
More about system freezes loggin

    Check that explorer.exe is the default shell to start. Look at the Reg_Sz
    string value of;
    "Shell"="Explorer.exe"
    found at
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

    The profile may also be corrupt or these may help you.

    No Desktop or Blank Desktop After Logging On to Windows 2000 (Q256194)
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q256194

    How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade of Windows 2000
    http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q292/1/75.ASP

    What an In-Place Windows 2000 Upgrade Changes and What It Does Not Change
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q306952

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "todd" wrote:
    | After entering user name and password, the computer freezes but
    ctrl-alt-del
    | does active the task manager. Users with admin rights can log in fine.
    | I've tried copying a working profile to the default user but it didn't
    work.
    | Also provided appropriate rights to winnt dir. Any thoughts? I had this
    | problem many years ago but cannot remember how to remedy beyond
    reinstalling
    | the OS.
    |
    | TIA

    Thanks Dave for your suggestions. Looks like an in-place upgrade is required.

    "Dave Patrick" wrote:

    > Check that explorer.exe is the default shell to start. Look at the Reg_Sz
    > string value of;
    > "Shell"="Explorer.exe"
    > found at
    > HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
    >
    > The profile may also be corrupt or these may help you.
    >

    > No Desktop or Blank Desktop After Logging On to Windows 2000 (Q256194)
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q256194
    >
    > How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade of Windows 2000
    > http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q292/1/75.ASP
    >
    > What an In-Place Windows 2000 Upgrade Changes and What It Does Not Change
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q306952
    >
    > --
    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    > "todd" wrote:
    > | After entering user name and password, the computer freezes but
    > ctrl-alt-del
    > | does active the task manager. Users with admin rights can log in fine.
    > | I've tried copying a working profile to the default user but it didn't
    > work.
    > | Also provided appropriate rights to winnt dir. Any thoughts? I had this
    > | problem many years ago but cannot remember how to remedy beyond
    > reinstalling
    > | the OS.
    > |
    > | TIA

    You're welcome.

    --

    "todd" wrote:
    | Thanks Dave for your suggestions. Looks like an in-place upgrade is
    required.

    Well, the in-place upgrade didn't work. Since users with admin rights can
    logon fine... it must be something with the rights. I may end up having to do
    a fresh install - yuck!

    "Dave Patrick" wrote:

    > You're welcome.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    > "todd" wrote:
    > | Thanks Dave for your suggestions. Looks like an in-place upgrade is
    > required.

    What happens if you logon as a new user? (create a new account in 'Users and
    Passwords').

    --

    "todd" wrote:
    | Well, the in-place upgrade didn't work. Since users with admin rights can
    | logon fine... it must be something with the rights. I may end up having to
    do
    | a fresh install - yuck!

    Dave - whether new user or current user gets the blank screen after logon.
    Again, users w/ admin rights works fine.

    "Dave Patrick" wrote:

    > What happens if you logon as a new user? (create a new account in 'Users and
    > Passwords').
    >
    > --
    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    > "todd" wrote:
    > | Well, the in-place upgrade didn't work. Since users with admin rights can
    > | logon fine... it must be something with the rights. I may end up having to
    > do
    > | a fresh install - yuck!

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    This article may help. The permissions are probably incorrect on \Documents
    and Settings and sub folders.

    How to Restore the Default NTFS Permissions for Windows 2000
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=266118

    --

    "todd" wrote:
    | Dave - whether new user or current user gets the blank screen after logon.
    | Again, users w/ admin rights works fine.
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    Dave-That worked! Much appreciated!
    I was wondering how to restore rights without re-installing. I believe my
    problem was within the registry. Anyway, assuming I'll remember - restoring
    default rights is a quicker method.

    "Dave Patrick" wrote:

    > This article may help. The permissions are probably incorrect on \Documents
    > and Settings and sub folders.
    >
    > How to Restore the Default NTFS Permissions for Windows 2000
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?id=266118
    >
    > --
    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    > "todd" wrote:
    > | Dave - whether new user or current user gets the blank screen after logon.
    > | Again, users w/ admin rights works fine.

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    Glad to hear it worked. You're welcome.

    --

    "todd" wrote:
    | Dave-That worked! Much appreciated!
    | I was wondering how to restore rights without re-installing. I believe my
    | problem was within the registry. Anyway, assuming I'll remember -
    restoring
    | default rights is a quicker method.

Windows