Out express & windows updates

I'm setting up a image for W2K

I don't want my users to have Outlook express
at all - where can i remove it from?
also we will push the updates for them -
we don't want windows update to tell them there are new updates to install
how can i get rid of both those things?

thanks in advance

Antz wrote:
> I'm setting up a image for W2K
>
> I don't want my users to have Outlook express
> at all - where can i remove it from?
> also we will push the updates for them -
> we don't want windows update to tell them there are new updates to install
> how can i get rid of both those things?
>
> thanks in advance

The Control Panel's Add/Remove Programs applet.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

You cannot remove OE from ADD/REMOVE programs without removing IE.

With OE, you could disable adding accounts for all users, therefore the
users wouldn't be able to use it. Maybe that will be ok for you. Here's how
to disable account changes:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Outlook Express.

Create a new DWORD value (No Modify Accts) & set the value to '1' (one)

You could set IE security setting not to run ActivX controls. Therefore, if
a user goes to the Windows Update site they won't be able to run ActivX
controls & it won't search for updates.

In AUTOMATIC UPDATES in CONTROL PANEL uncheck the check that says 'keep my
computer up-to-date', click APPLY & then click OK

You can do the auto update step this way too:

Click START, RUN, type 'regedit' (without quots) & press ENTER

Navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU

Create a new DWORD (NoAutoUpdate) or change its value to '1' (one)

Close the registry editor & reboot.

You can also remove the Automatic Update control panel applet from the
control panel by doing this:

Open registry editor like I wrote above.

Navigate to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\don't load

Create a new string value (wuaucpl.cpl (with extension)) & set its value to
'No'

Close registry editor & reboot

If you want to hide any othe control panel applets then search
WINNT\System32 for CPL files & add those names with a '.cpl' extension to
the above registry key for the ones you want to hide.