Domain Roaming Profiles

HI, I am Having problems using Domain Roaming profiles. I have made the
directory in C:\Profiles so when i go into users under computers and users in
Windows server 2003 i double click the username, press profiles and type in
(Server is test) \\Server\Profiles\%username% but the clients (Windows XP)
always say:- cannot update roaming profile....this user may not have
sufficient rights" I have tried everything, even followed Microsofts way of
doing it, i just cant seem to crack it. Any Suggestions, I will be so happy
when i have finally sorted it!

Thanks
3 answers Last reply
More about domain roaming profiles

    Sounds like you have a share or ntfs permission problem.

    Here's the guidelines I use to create the share for profiles...

    1. Create the folder to hold the profiles (C:\PROFILES) on a NTFS volume

    2. Right click on the C:\PROFILES folder and choose "Sharing and
    Security..."

    3. On the sharing Tab, click "Share this folder"
    Best practice is to make this hidden by adding a dollar sign to the end
    of the share name
    Share name: PROFILE$

    4. Click the "Permissions" button (for share permissions)
    ADD - Authenticated Users = Full Control
    DEL - Everyone
    Hit "OK" to accept the permissions

    5. Click the "Security" Tab of "C:\PROFILES" properties
    Set NTFS permissions as follows:
    - Creator/Owner = Full Control (Subfolders and Files)
    - System = Full Control (This folder, Subfolders and Files)
    - User Groups = "List Folder/Read Data" & "Create Folders/Append Data"
    (This Folder Only)
    - Administrators = None
    - Everyone = None

    Now, when you point the users profile to \\server\profile$\%username% is
    should work.

    --
    MikeVa [MSFT]

    Use of any included script samples are subject to the terms specified at
    Please do not send e-mail directly to this alias.
    This alias is for newsgroup purposes only.
    --
    "JWMC" <JWMC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > HI, I am Having problems using Domain Roaming profiles. I have made the
    > directory in C:\Profiles so when i go into users under computers and users
    in
    > Windows server 2003 i double click the username, press profiles and type
    in
    > (Server is test) \\Server\Profiles\%username% but the clients (Windows XP)
    > always say:- cannot update roaming profile....this user may not have
    > sufficient rights" I have tried everything, even followed Microsofts way
    of
    > doing it, i just cant seem to crack it. Any Suggestions, I will be so
    happy
    > when i have finally sorted it!
    >
    > Thanks

    HI, Thanks for your help, it doesnt seem to let me set permissions, when i
    tick all the boxes on system and click apply it unticks the boxes!!!

    Any Ideas?

    Jamie

    "MikeVa [MSFT]" wrote:

    > Sounds like you have a share or ntfs permission problem.
    >
    > Here's the guidelines I use to create the share for profiles...
    >
    > 1. Create the folder to hold the profiles (C:\PROFILES) on a NTFS volume
    >
    > 2. Right click on the C:\PROFILES folder and choose "Sharing and
    > Security..."
    >
    > 3. On the sharing Tab, click "Share this folder"
    > Best practice is to make this hidden by adding a dollar sign to the end
    > of the share name
    > Share name: PROFILE$
    >
    > 4. Click the "Permissions" button (for share permissions)
    > ADD - Authenticated Users = Full Control
    > DEL - Everyone
    > Hit "OK" to accept the permissions
    >
    > 5. Click the "Security" Tab of "C:\PROFILES" properties
    > Set NTFS permissions as follows:
    > - Creator/Owner = Full Control (Subfolders and Files)
    > - System = Full Control (This folder, Subfolders and Files)
    > - User Groups = "List Folder/Read Data" & "Create Folders/Append Data"
    > (This Folder Only)
    > - Administrators = None
    > - Everyone = None
    >
    > Now, when you point the users profile to \\server\profile$\%username% is
    > should work.
    >
    > --
    > MikeVa [MSFT]

    > Use of any included script samples are subject to the terms specified at
    > Please do not send e-mail directly to this alias.
    > This alias is for newsgroup purposes only.
    > --
    > "JWMC" <JWMC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > HI, I am Having problems using Domain Roaming profiles. I have made the
    > > directory in C:\Profiles so when i go into users under computers and users
    > in
    > > Windows server 2003 i double click the username, press profiles and type
    > in
    > > (Server is test) \\Server\Profiles\%username% but the clients (Windows XP)
    > > always say:- cannot update roaming profile....this user may not have
    > > sufficient rights" I have tried everything, even followed Microsofts way
    > of
    > > doing it, i just cant seem to crack it. Any Suggestions, I will be so
    > happy
    > > when i have finally sorted it!
    > >
    > > Thanks

    Hi forgot to say, how do i set a home directory for My Documents for the
    users aswell, soz i am really new to this!! :S

    Jamie

    "MikeVa [MSFT]" wrote:

    > Sounds like you have a share or ntfs permission problem.
    >
    > Here's the guidelines I use to create the share for profiles...
    >
    > 1. Create the folder to hold the profiles (C:\PROFILES) on a NTFS volume
    >
    > 2. Right click on the C:\PROFILES folder and choose "Sharing and
    > Security..."
    >
    > 3. On the sharing Tab, click "Share this folder"
    > Best practice is to make this hidden by adding a dollar sign to the end
    > of the share name
    > Share name: PROFILE$
    >
    > 4. Click the "Permissions" button (for share permissions)
    > ADD - Authenticated Users = Full Control
    > DEL - Everyone
    > Hit "OK" to accept the permissions
    >
    > 5. Click the "Security" Tab of "C:\PROFILES" properties
    > Set NTFS permissions as follows:
    > - Creator/Owner = Full Control (Subfolders and Files)
    > - System = Full Control (This folder, Subfolders and Files)
    > - User Groups = "List Folder/Read Data" & "Create Folders/Append Data"
    > (This Folder Only)
    > - Administrators = None
    > - Everyone = None
    >
    > Now, when you point the users profile to \\server\profile$\%username% is
    > should work.
    >
    > --
    > MikeVa [MSFT]

    > Use of any included script samples are subject to the terms specified at
    > Please do not send e-mail directly to this alias.
    > This alias is for newsgroup purposes only.
    > --
    > "JWMC" <JWMC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > HI, I am Having problems using Domain Roaming profiles. I have made the
    > > directory in C:\Profiles so when i go into users under computers and users
    > in
    > > Windows server 2003 i double click the username, press profiles and type
    > in
    > > (Server is test) \\Server\Profiles\%username% but the clients (Windows XP)
    > > always say:- cannot update roaming profile....this user may not have
    > > sufficient rights" I have tried everything, even followed Microsofts way
    > of
    > > doing it, i just cant seem to crack it. Any Suggestions, I will be so
    > happy
    > > when i have finally sorted it!
    > >
    > > Thanks

Windows Server 2003 Domain Roaming Profiles Windows