Domain Roaming Profiles

HI, I am Having problems using Domain Roaming profiles. I have made the
directory in C:\Profiles so when i go into users under computers and users in
Windows server 2003 i double click the username, press profiles and type in
(Server is test) \\Server\Profiles\%username% but the clients (Windows XP)
always say:- cannot update roaming profile....this user may not have
sufficient rights" I have tried everything, even followed Microsofts way of
doing it, i just cant seem to crack it. Any Suggestions, I will be so happy
when i have finally sorted it!

Thanks

Sounds like you have a share or ntfs permission problem.

Here's the guidelines I use to create the share for profiles...

1. Create the folder to hold the profiles (C:\PROFILES) on a NTFS volume

2. Right click on the C:\PROFILES folder and choose "Sharing and
Security..."

3. On the sharing Tab, click "Share this folder"
Best practice is to make this hidden by adding a dollar sign to the end
of the share name
Share name: PROFILE$

4. Click the "Permissions" button (for share permissions)
ADD - Authenticated Users = Full Control
DEL - Everyone
Hit "OK" to accept the permissions

5. Click the "Security" Tab of "C:\PROFILES" properties
Set NTFS permissions as follows:
- Creator/Owner = Full Control (Subfolders and Files)
- System = Full Control (This folder, Subfolders and Files)
- User Groups = "List Folder/Read Data" & "Create Folders/Append Data"
(This Folder Only)
- Administrators = None
- Everyone = None

Now, when you point the users profile to \\server\profile$\%username% is
should work.

--
MikeVa [MSFT]

Use of any included script samples are subject to the terms specified at
Please do not send e-mail directly to this alias.
This alias is for newsgroup purposes only.
--
"JWMC" <JWMC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> HI, I am Having problems using Domain Roaming profiles. I have made the
> directory in C:\Profiles so when i go into users under computers and users
in
> Windows server 2003 i double click the username, press profiles and type
in
> (Server is test) \\Server\Profiles\%username% but the clients (Windows XP)
> always say:- cannot update roaming profile....this user may not have
> sufficient rights" I have tried everything, even followed Microsofts way
of
> doing it, i just cant seem to crack it. Any Suggestions, I will be so
happy
> when i have finally sorted it!
>
> Thanks

HI, Thanks for your help, it doesnt seem to let me set permissions, when i
tick all the boxes on system and click apply it unticks the boxes!!!

Any Ideas?

Jamie

"MikeVa [MSFT]" wrote:

> Sounds like you have a share or ntfs permission problem.
>
> Here's the guidelines I use to create the share for profiles...
>
> 1. Create the folder to hold the profiles (C:\PROFILES) on a NTFS volume
>
> 2. Right click on the C:\PROFILES folder and choose "Sharing and
> Security..."
>
> 3. On the sharing Tab, click "Share this folder"
> Best practice is to make this hidden by adding a dollar sign to the end
> of the share name
> Share name: PROFILE$
>
> 4. Click the "Permissions" button (for share permissions)
> ADD - Authenticated Users = Full Control
> DEL - Everyone
> Hit "OK" to accept the permissions
>
> 5. Click the "Security" Tab of "C:\PROFILES" properties
> Set NTFS permissions as follows:
> - Creator/Owner = Full Control (Subfolders and Files)
> - System = Full Control (This folder, Subfolders and Files)
> - User Groups = "List Folder/Read Data" & "Create Folders/Append Data"
> (This Folder Only)
> - Administrators = None
> - Everyone = None
>
> Now, when you point the users profile to \\server\profile$\%username% is
> should work.
>
> --
> MikeVa [MSFT]

> Use of any included script samples are subject to the terms specified at
> Please do not send e-mail directly to this alias.
> This alias is for newsgroup purposes only.
> --
> "JWMC" <JWMC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > HI, I am Having problems using Domain Roaming profiles. I have made the
> > directory in C:\Profiles so when i go into users under computers and users
> in
> > Windows server 2003 i double click the username, press profiles and type
> in
> > (Server is test) \\Server\Profiles\%username% but the clients (Windows XP)
> > always say:- cannot update roaming profile....this user may not have
> > sufficient rights" I have tried everything, even followed Microsofts way
> of
> > doing it, i just cant seem to crack it. Any Suggestions, I will be so
> happy
> > when i have finally sorted it!
> >
> > Thanks

Hi forgot to say, how do i set a home directory for My Documents for the
users aswell, soz i am really new to this!! :S

Jamie