Need help from MSI P965 Platinum owners

Cloudrest

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
Hello everyone,

I've just purchased a MSI 965 Platinum mobo for my new rig. Now I'm having a hard time picking a 2x1GB DDR2 memory kit for this mobo. I'm afraid of incompatibility issues.
Please if you have the same mobo (or know somebody who has it) tell me what brand/type/model of memory you use.
I'd also appreciate those who encountered any kind of memory related problems with MSI Platinum to tell me what brand/type/model to avoid.

Thanks a lot!

EricT

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
I just put together a system with this mobo on Friday.

I am using a Corsair 2GB pair DDR2-800 with the 4-4-4-12 timing.

The only problem I had was due to the MSI manual. It seemed to indicate that with 2 memory modules that you should put them in slots 1/3 or slots 2/4. After some fiddling around I realized this was not correct. I put them in 1/2 and it booted right up.

Also, I read in some of the reviews for the Corsair that it requires a higher than default voltage (2.1v). So far I've been running it at the default 1.9v. World of Warcraft crashed on me once, but I'm not sure if that's related or not. I would have increased the voltage according to the review, but I haven't figured out how to do that yet :?

Cloudrest

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
Hello EricT,
Is the Corsair kit you use a "value select" kit? Is it with or without heatsinks?
I'm aware of the stupid MSI idea to use the same color for slot 1/2 and 3/4. So did you put the modules in the green or orange slots?
I think the WoW crash must be memory related.

EricT

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
I got the XMS2 modules (TWIN2X2048-6400C4). The next model up is the one with the heatsinks. I can't recall exactly which color slots I used, but I know they were the ones labeled 1 and 2. If you look hard, you can see the numbers printed on the board.

I'm having another issue with the memory/mobo. The mobo is defaulting to 5-5-5-18 timing and 1.9v. My expensive memory is spec'd at 4-4-4-12 at 2.1v. Unfortunately, the BIOS won't let me change the memory voltage for some reason. I tried changing the timing to 4-4-4-12 and leaving it at 1.9v, but it wouldn't boot. I'm going to make a post about this.