Can I get a better heatsink in my laptop?

miecz

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
I have a Dell 5100 with a Pentuim 4 2.4Ghz, and the computer gets really hot. Can I buy a better heatsink? If you know of a good site to look for a good heatsink, please let me know.

My laptop has been shutting off automatically recently, because it has been getting too hot.

No there are no aftermarket upgrades for that Dell system. What you can do is buy a laptop cooler (~$20) which as fans to pull heat away from the bottom of the laptop. They have been shown to work, and its recomended you get one for your system.

miecz

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
No there are no aftermarket upgrades for that Dell system. What you can do is buy a laptop cooler (~$20) which as fans to pull heat away from the bottom of the laptop. They have been shown to work, and its recomended you get one for your system.

I have the Titan Serina for that. I want another heatsink. Anyone know if there is any other option? I checked on some sites, and they were offereding ones for like $70. Way too much.

Beastyben1

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2006
Get compress air and blow the dust out. Its probably caked on the heatsink so you might want to take it apart.

Stay on top of this class action: http://www.lieffcabraser.com/dell-inspiron-3.htm

I had (brother has it now) a 5150 and got another 1yr warranty for free b/c of the settlement. Plus getting $200 back for mobo repair.

Other than the blowing out the dust and or cleaning the heatsink, you'd have to get it replace.

-Ben

MisfitSELF

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
I agree with Beasty. You may even need to take apart your laptop to get good access to the heat sink.

I have a different brand laptop, but the dust was so caked in the heat sink that it would overheat when the CPU was running at 100%. My clue should have been the lack of airflow despite the fan running. I had to remove a lot of components to get to the heat sink, remove the heat sink, the blow it out with compressed air. That seemed to make a huge difference. Don't forgot to reapply thermal grease when reinstalling.

Saravian

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
You may have already done this, but overheating problems on this laptop are often fixed by blowing compressed air into the rear vents [http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=insp_general&message.id=139712]. I had a friend with a similar problem on the same laptop and $4 of compressed air later, the thing worked fine w/o any overheating problems. Good luck! :)

EDIT

Wow! The TH crew is speedy fast as usual...two posts w/ the compressed air answer in under 2 minutes...

TH rocks!

Since the OP was wanting to take appart the laptop to remove the heatsink, I assumed he would have thought about blowing the dust out of the computer.

But yes that would be a good way to reduce heat if you hadnt thought of it.

Beastyben1

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2006
Miecz,

Awesome. Have your brother log-in to Dell Support and create a user name etc. Then have him enter in his 5150 system tag and go to the warranty part. I should say he has another year as of September ish. His problem is definately covered as by brother just sent his in for free replacement/replace (prolly just put in a refurb that will crap out in a year or so). Dell sent him a box for free shipping and all that good stuff.

If your brother paid for previous repairs on these issues, the law firm just told me the refunds will be out in late February. There is a deadline in the spring to submit these claims though. Goodluck...

PLUS online you can upgrade the warranty for $150 for Complete Care etc. which is a good deal b/c the laptop will probably die within that time in which you may be able to get a new laptop....so you get a year free plus 1yr-2yr on new warranty for 150. 3 years is a long time in which your brother will probably encounter many problems.

Ben

I have a Dell 5100 with a Pentuim 4 2.4Ghz, and the computer gets really hot. Can I buy a better heatsink? If you know of a good site to look for a good heatsink, please let me know.

My laptop has been shutting off automatically recently, because it has been getting too hot.

Sorry guy... I jumped the gun when I replied there is no available HS upgrade for your laptop, as I have never seen one for sale, or available online. (I have checked a few times when I am repairing laptops at work...)

Anyway, Just correcting my statement as I cant say (and you cant really say this for any tech these days) there is NO HS, I just havent seen one.