Missing utility partition - Server won't boot

I have an Exchange Server that has the OS mirrored on two SCSI drives. One
of the drives went down about a week ago and I replaced it. I went to reboot
it today and it would not start back up. I happened to remember that the
utility partition on the drive was never mirrored, only the OS partition. I
tried to go through the emergency repair process but whenever I put my ERD
disk in i get a blue screen. I tried to let it do it with the ERD and it
finds the load of Windows but never repairs it enough to boot. How can i get
that OS mirror to boot now that it is missing all of the startup files?
6 answers Last reply
More about missing utility partition server boot

    "Marty S" <MartyS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have an Exchange Server that has the OS mirrored on two SCSI drives.
    One
    > of the drives went down about a week ago and I replaced it. I went to
    reboot
    > it today and it would not start back up. I happened to remember that the
    > utility partition on the drive was never mirrored, only the OS partition.
    > tried to go through the emergency repair process but whenever I put my ERD
    > disk in i get a blue screen. I tried to let it do it with the ERD and it
    > finds the load of Windows but never repairs it enough to boot. How can i
    get
    > that OS mirror to boot now that it is missing all of the startup files?

    As a first step I would try to boot the machine from a Win2000
    boot disk, in order to confirm the integrity of the OS. Format a
    floppy disk on any Win2000/XP PC, then copy these two files
    from your server CD to the floppy disk:
    - ntldr
    - ntdetect.com

    Now use the ERD process to copy c:\boot.ini to the floppy disk,
    then boot the server with this disk.

    By the way, a mirrored disk is of limited use if you do not test
    its operation while things are going well. You would sleep much
    better if you set up the mirror, then removed one disk and checked
    if the machine is still bootable. This applies to all other backup
    processes too.

    If I am able to get the machine to boot with this disk after editing the
    boot.ini, which files do i need to copy over to the hard drive to get it to
    boot on its own? Just the ntldr, ntdetect.com and the boot.ini?

    "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:

    > "Marty S" <MartyS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I have an Exchange Server that has the OS mirrored on two SCSI drives.
    > One
    > > of the drives went down about a week ago and I replaced it. I went to
    > reboot
    > > it today and it would not start back up. I happened to remember that the
    > > utility partition on the drive was never mirrored, only the OS partition.
    > > tried to go through the emergency repair process but whenever I put my ERD
    > > disk in i get a blue screen. I tried to let it do it with the ERD and it
    > > finds the load of Windows but never repairs it enough to boot. How can i
    > get
    > > that OS mirror to boot now that it is missing all of the startup files?
    >
    > As a first step I would try to boot the machine from a Win2000
    > boot disk, in order to confirm the integrity of the OS. Format a
    > floppy disk on any Win2000/XP PC, then copy these two files
    > from your server CD to the floppy disk:
    > - ntldr
    > - ntdetect.com
    >
    > Now use the ERD process to copy c:\boot.ini to the floppy disk,
    > then boot the server with this disk.
    >
    > By the way, a mirrored disk is of limited use if you do not test
    > its operation while things are going well. You would sleep much
    > better if you set up the mirror, then removed one disk and checked
    > if the machine is still bootable. This applies to all other backup
    > processes too.

    Yes. You also need to make the boot disk active.
    Furthermore, you must ensure that you have a Windows
    MBR and a Windows boot sector. They can be set from
    the Recovery Console with the command fixmbr and fixboot.

    > If I am able to get the machine to boot with this disk after editing the
    > boot.ini, which files do i need to copy over to the hard drive to get it
    > boot on its own? Just the ntldr, ntdetect.com and the boot.ini?
    >
    > "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:
    >

    > > "Marty S" <MartyS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > I have an Exchange Server that has the OS mirrored on two SCSI drives.
    > > One
    > > > of the drives went down about a week ago and I replaced it. I went to
    > > reboot
    > > > it today and it would not start back up. I happened to remember that
    the
    > > > utility partition on the drive was never mirrored, only the OS
    partition.
    > > > tried to go through the emergency repair process but whenever I put my
    ERD
    > > > disk in i get a blue screen. I tried to let it do it with the ERD and
    it
    > > > finds the load of Windows but never repairs it enough to boot. How
    can i
    > > get
    > > > that OS mirror to boot now that it is missing all of the startup
    files?

    > > As a first step I would try to boot the machine from a Win2000
    > > boot disk, in order to confirm the integrity of the OS. Format a
    > > floppy disk on any Win2000/XP PC, then copy these two files
    > > from your server CD to the floppy disk:
    > > - ntldr
    > > - ntdetect.com
    > >
    > > Now use the ERD process to copy c:\boot.ini to the floppy disk,
    > > then boot the server with this disk.
    > >
    > > By the way, a mirrored disk is of limited use if you do not test
    > > its operation while things are going well. You would sleep much
    > > better if you set up the mirror, then removed one disk and checked
    > > if the machine is still bootable. This applies to all other backup
    > > processes too.

    I would make the disk active within disk management in the OS correct? Also,
    the password to access the console should be the cuurent administrator
    password right, or am i missing something? I tried logging in to the console
    and it would not accept the password.

    "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:

    > Yes. You also need to make the boot disk active.
    > Furthermore, you must ensure that you have a Windows
    > MBR and a Windows boot sector. They can be set from
    > the Recovery Console with the command fixmbr and fixboot.
    >

    > "Marty S" <MartyS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > If I am able to get the machine to boot with this disk after editing the
    > > boot.ini, which files do i need to copy over to the hard drive to get it
    > > boot on its own? Just the ntldr, ntdetect.com and the boot.ini?
    > >
    > > "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:
    > >

    > > > "Marty S" <MartyS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > One
    > > > reboot
    > the
    > partition.
    > ERD
    > it
    > can i
    > > > get
    > files?
    > > >
    > > > As a first step I would try to boot the machine from a Win2000
    > > > boot disk, in order to confirm the integrity of the OS. Format a
    > > > floppy disk on any Win2000/XP PC, then copy these two files
    > > > from your server CD to the floppy disk:
    > > > - ntldr
    > > > - ntdetect.com
    > > >
    > > > Now use the ERD process to copy c:\boot.ini to the floppy disk,
    > > > then boot the server with this disk.
    > > >
    > > > By the way, a mirrored disk is of limited use if you do not test
    > > > its operation while things are going well. You would sleep much
    > > > better if you set up the mirror, then removed one disk and checked
    > > > if the machine is still bootable. This applies to all other backup
    > > > processes too.

    You can use any old tool to make the partitition active,
    even a Win98 boot disk (www.bootdisk.com).

    The password you need is the password for the
    account named "administrator".

    > I would make the disk active within disk management in the OS correct?
    Also,
    > the password to access the console should be the cuurent administrator
    > password right, or am i missing something? I tried logging in to the
    console
    > and it would not accept the password.
    >
    > "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:
    >
    > > Yes. You also need to make the boot disk active.
    > > Furthermore, you must ensure that you have a Windows
    > > MBR and a Windows boot sector. They can be set from
    > > the Recovery Console with the command fixmbr and fixboot.
    > >

    > > "Marty S" <MartyS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > If I am able to get the machine to boot with this disk after editing
    the
    > > > boot.ini, which files do i need to copy over to the hard drive to get
    it
    > > > boot on its own? Just the ntldr, ntdetect.com and the boot.ini?

    > > the
    > > partition.
    > > ERD
    > > it
    How
    > > can i
    > > files?

    This partition is on a disk that is part of a mirror controlled by the Server
    OS disk management. I tried to mark active but it will not, i guess since it
    is not labeled as the primary partition. Now what?

Partition Windows