Ideal Gigabit setup? - Thoughts please

telim

Distinguished
May 30, 2006
After doing a lot of research, I came up with a finalized plan for a gigabit network I'm planning out for a client. I'd like some input.

The crux of the network will be a Linksys (a.k.a. Cisco) SRW2024 switch:
http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Product_C2&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid=1115416901465&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper

Which is a layer3 web-managable switch that supports 802.3ad (Trunking/port aggregation). I found it from a wholesaler for $491 CAD, which seems like a STEAL.

The server which has some free PCI slots will get some single or dual Intel Pro MT 1000 NICs which support 802.3ad (NIC TEAMING). This will allow me to connect the server to the switch with multiple NICs working in tandem. Probably 2-4 connections to the switch.

The NICs are $130 CAD for a 5-pack of single-porters.

Cabelling will be handmade Cat6 cabling and cat6 certified ends.

When more ports are needed another 24 port switch (or a 48porter) can be added to the rack and trunked into the main-switch with 8 ports aggregated together to make a 8gbps interconnect.

My main concern is that the "server" comp only has normal PCI 2.2 slots, which I understand have a maximum bandwidth of ~1 gbps. Is that 1 gbps PER SLOT or 1gbps for the entire BUS? (IE if I have 4 NICs in 4 Slots will I get the full 4gbps advantage?)

Thanks,
-Alex

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
PCI 2.2 actually has a cap at approx 533Mbps and I'm pretty sure that is for the entire bus not each slot. That is at 66mhz as well, 33mhz would probably lower the speed more.
PCI X at 133mhz will do 1066Mbps.

How many users are going to be accessing that server and what sort of resources are they getting from it?
If there are 20+ people moving around huge video files all the time I could see the need for multiple gigabit network cards (along with a huge/fast storage array). If this is just going to hold documents and other small files for a dozen or so people a single gigabit nic would be just fine.

If your bandwidth requirements are going to fully utilize 4 gigabit network cards you will need a hell of a lot more than that lowly Linksys switch :) I'd be looking more towards an HP Procurve 3400cl (24 or 48 port).

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
Linksys may be a sub company of cisco but I still think they arn't really the ideal pieces of equipment for larger enterprise use. I have not doubt they would do quite well in the home/small buisness sector but for large buisness/corprate infrastructure I would go HP/cisco without question. Especially for a core switch.

Busto963

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2006
Linksys may be a sub company of cisco

You do not get what Telim is telling you - the Linksys SWR2024 and SWR2024P are Cisco switchs that have been re-labeled as Linksys. Low end Cisco yes, but still Cisco.