Riden12

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006
Hi,

I've just built my new system with a Bad Axe 2 mobo and an E6700 and am a little concerned about the temps so far. I had some issues getting the arctic freezer 7 pro installed and had to mount the clip on fan one fin higher on the heatsink.

Right now I'm noticing when I first start the system up I'm idling around 39/41 C using Core Temp and about 42/44 using TAT. After 2+ hours of having the system turned on the temp's maintained at the above temps but as soon as I started doing something on the system they jumped to 51/52 in TAT and 49/50 in Core Temp. That's even once I begin idling again and closed everything down. That's the first problem I'm concerned about. I am also noticing that with having my mobo control the artic freezer 7 pro fan it's only running at 850 rpm's until it reaches ~54 C then it jumps to 1500 RPM's. Is the that normal? I've tried to run SpeedFan but for some reason it won't run with the bad axe 2 motherboard or at least my setup. Just sits there and won't show any fan speeds etc and sometimes won't even open.

The second question I have is that when I run ORTHOS to peak both cores my load temp is 55/56 C on both cores. Is that too high? I'm assuming it may go a little higher once my 8800 GTX warms up and is in use as well just because the overall case temp may rise.

I'm using a Lian Li 7 case and have 3x 120mm S-FLEX Scythe fans. 1 for intake in the front, 1 for exhaust in the back, and 1 on the side for intake over the video card. I'm also running a Scythe Minbea 80mm fan in the top for exhaust. Overall, I can't see my ventilation being an issue because of all the fans but let me know if something looks wrong.

I can set my CPU fan to not be handled by the motherboard and it will always run at ~2500 RPM's and its not that loud so I wouldn't have a problem with it. When I try that it seems that the temp's always stay around 34/37 idle and only 49/50 load. Would there be any problems with having that fan always run at 2500 RPM's?

Any comments or ideas would be greatly appricated!

Thanks!

Your temperatures are fine, no need to worry about them. My E6600 is OCed to 3.0GHz, the idle temp is about 39C and load temps maxes out at 55C. The max temp has recently dropped to about 52C. I'm guessing that's from the Artic Silver 5 finally curing after a few months and not due to the cooler weather since my apartment becomes a bit warm with heat from the radiator.

Last time I've checked SpeedFan does not work with Core 2 Duo CPUs. I haven't checked recently though. If the fan noise doesn't bother you then simply have the fan spin at 100%. You really do not need to worry too much about CPU temps, my E6600 was running at 70C at first since the HSF wasn't properly seated. The CPU didn't even throttle down and there was no damage whatsoever.

Riden12

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006
Actually, I think I found part of the problem. For some strange reason, when I open NVIEW Monitor to check the temp of my GPU on my 8800 GTX my temp's rise about 5-6 degrees on the CPU. Even after I close the app the CPU temp's stay up. It happens everytime I reboot, and no mater the time delays I wait in opening it it always up's the CPU temp.

Does this make sense at all? Anyone else heard of this before?

Thanks!