I am having trouble installing any new piece of software. Using add/remove
new programmes. A windows message tells me C:\ProgramFiles\Common
Files\install shield\engine\6\Intel 32\ctor.dll is being used by another
programme or user

Can anybody advise as to how I over come this so that i can install new
programmes

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

CTOR.DLL is called InstallShield DLL. It might be corrupted. Try renaming it
and then try the install.

"Zebedeee" <Zebedeee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am having trouble installing any new piece of software. Using add/remove
> new programmes. A windows message tells me C:\ProgramFiles\Common
> Files\install shield\engine\6\Intel 32\ctor.dll is being used by another
> programme or user
>
> Can anybody advise as to how I over come this so that i can install new
> programmes

Jerry,
Unfortunately I had already tried that and another window telling me this
action could not be done as it was being used by another user or program. It
tells me to close the program. However I have no programmes up an running!!!!

"Jerry" wrote:

> CTOR.DLL is called InstallShield DLL. It might be corrupted. Try renaming it
> and then try the install.
>
> "Zebedeee" <Zebedeee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am having trouble installing any new piece of software. Using add/remove
> > new programmes. A windows message tells me C:\ProgramFiles\Common
> > Files\install shield\engine\6\Intel 32\ctor.dll is being used by another
> > programme or user
> >
> > Can anybody advise as to how I over come this so that i can install new
> > programmes

Fido

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005

You probably do and just dont know it. Right click the clock, select task
manager, Processes tab. Sort by username. IGNORE system , Local Service,
Network Service. You should be left with one username left (most times your
name). The only two you want left are taskmgr.exe and explorer.exe. All the
rest of them End task on them. Yes you must do them one at a time. When all
are gone, close task manager and try installing again.

> Jerry,
> Unfortunately I had already tried that and another window telling me this
> action could not be done as it was being used by another user or program.
> It
> tells me to close the program. However I have no programmes up an
> running!!!!
>
> "Jerry" wrote:
>
>> CTOR.DLL is called InstallShield DLL. It might be corrupted. Try renaming
>> it
>> and then try the install.
>>
>> "Zebedeee" <Zebedeee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I am having trouble installing any new piece of software. Using
>> >add/remove
>> > new programmes. A windows message tells me C:\ProgramFiles\Common
>> > Files\install shield\engine\6\Intel 32\ctor.dll is being used by
>> > another
>> > programme or user
>> >
>> > Can anybody advise as to how I over come this so that i can install new
>> > programmes

Dear Fido,
I just tried that and it did not work either. Any other suggestions?
Zebedee