WINS error prompted before windows 2k server rolling to lo..

Every time when I restart my win 2000 server and before the windows screen
succesfull rolling to windows log-on screen, a WINS error message will
poping-up and the error message as follow:

"WINS could not start due to a missing or corrupt database.
Restore the database using WINS Manager (or winscl.exe found in the Windows
2000 Resource Kit) and restart WINS. If WINS still does not start, begin with
a fresh copy of the database.

To do tgis:

1) Delete all the files in the %SystemRoot%\system32\WINS directory.
NOTE: If the WINS database file (typically names wins.mdb) is not in
the above directory, check the registry for the full filepath.
NOTE: If jet*.log are not in the above directory, check the registry
for the directory path. Delete all log files.

2) Restart WINS."

Where can I get the WINS Manager or Windows 2000 Resource Kit? Please help
b'cos it keep frustrating me. Thanks.
2 answers Last reply
More about wins error prompted windows server rolling

    The windows 2000 resource kit is in the Windows 2000 Server CD.

    Marcelo

    "Hau" <Hau@discussions.microsoft.com> escribió en el mensaje
    > Every time when I restart my win 2000 server and before the windows
    screen
    > succesfull rolling to windows log-on screen, a WINS error message will
    > poping-up and the error message as follow:
    >
    > "WINS could not start due to a missing or corrupt database.
    > Restore the database using WINS Manager (or winscl.exe found in the
    Windows
    > 2000 Resource Kit) and restart WINS. If WINS still does not start, begin
    with
    > a fresh copy of the database.
    >
    > To do tgis:
    >
    > 1) Delete all the files in the %SystemRoot%\system32\WINS directory.
    > NOTE: If the WINS database file (typically names wins.mdb) is not in
    > the above directory, check the registry for the full filepath.
    > NOTE: If jet*.log are not in the above directory, check the registry
    > for the directory path. Delete all log files.
    >
    > 2) Restart WINS."
    >
    > Where can I get the WINS Manager or Windows 2000 Resource Kit? Please help
    > b'cos it keep frustrating me. Thanks.

    Can you guide me the instruction that how to restore back the WINS?

    "Marcelo" wrote:

    > The windows 2000 resource kit is in the Windows 2000 Server CD.
    >
    > Marcelo
    >
    > "Hau" <Hau@discussions.microsoft.com> escribió en el mensaje
    > > Every time when I restart my win 2000 server and before the windows
    > screen
    > > succesfull rolling to windows log-on screen, a WINS error message will
    > > poping-up and the error message as follow:
    > >
    > > "WINS could not start due to a missing or corrupt database.
    > > Restore the database using WINS Manager (or winscl.exe found in the
    > Windows
    > > 2000 Resource Kit) and restart WINS. If WINS still does not start, begin
    > with
    > > a fresh copy of the database.
    > >
    > > To do tgis:
    > >
    > > 1) Delete all the files in the %SystemRoot%\system32\WINS directory.
    > > NOTE: If the WINS database file (typically names wins.mdb) is not in
    > > the above directory, check the registry for the full filepath.
    > > NOTE: If jet*.log are not in the above directory, check the registry
    > > for the directory path. Delete all log files.
    > >
    > > 2) Restart WINS."
    > >
    > > Where can I get the WINS Manager or Windows 2000 Resource Kit? Please help
    > > b'cos it keep frustrating me. Thanks.

Database Error Message Servers Windows