How to clean fingerprints in the copper base?

plguzman

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
Hello. Just got a Zalman 7700Cu to put into my new E6600, and I noticed that the base is full of fingerprints (mine unfortunately). I have tried to clean with alcohol, but the fingerprints still there. How could I clean it?

ouch1

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
I would reccomend Brasso or Neverdull. But as this is the bottom of your heatsink I am not sure if it would do more damage than help. Or you could lap the bottom the HSF and that would definately get rid of them Lets see if anyone else has other ideas.

-ouch1

function9

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2002
Dunno. I can say I've gotten fingerprints on the bottom of some heatsinks before. Even if it effected the performance at all, it certainly wasn't by any noticeable amount. If you cleaned it with alcohol you're fine.

plguzman

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
Thanks for all the responses. I, as other have said, wasn't too worried about it. I guess the thermal paste will take care of that situation pretty well. I will apply AS5, so my believe is that the performance won't be noticeably affected since the CPU has also a "not-so-shiny" surface. I guess I was right, but just wanted to be sure.

DrBlofeld

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2006
Hello. Just got a Zalman 7700Cu to put into my new E6600, and I noticed that the base is full of fingerprints (mine unfortunately). I have tried to clean with alcohol, but the fingerprints still there. How could I clean it?

First of all, DO NOT USE BRASSO. This would be the most stupid thing you can do. It is a chemical that adds shine and polish to metals by leaving a residue. It would reduce performance more than anything.

Just use cotton swabs and 97% pure rubbing alcohol to clean it.

function9

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2002
Quick question, to clean thermal paste off of my cpu would rubbing alcohol and coffee filters work?
Rubbing alcohol and paper towel work excellent in my experience. I think some people take all the "lint free this", "anti-static that", "99.9999% the other" a bit overboard.

p8ntslinger676

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
Quick question, to clean thermal paste off of my cpu would rubbing alcohol and coffee filters work?
Rubbing alcohol and paper towel work excellent in my experience. I think some people take all the "lint free this", "anti-static that", "99.9999% the other" a bit overboard.

lol i use rubbing alcohol and toilet paper :p

WizardOZ

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2006
A previous poster said to use methylated spirits and toilet paper. The first part is correct, the second part is somewhat risky.

Methylated spirits are also known as "Mineral Spirits" or by the brand name "Varsol".

Mineral spirits will easily remove fingerprints from most non-porous surfaces. They do this by dissolving the residual oils left from your fingers. You should wear latex gloves while doing the work, as the solvent will defat your skin, and can damage it. Be cautious with plastics - some plastics are dissolved by mineral spirits. Test first.

The optimum material to use to rub the fingerprints off the block is an old piece of T-shirt - MUST be 100 % dotton - that has been washed and dried several times. This material will not scratch the base of your heat sink, and won't leave any lint behind. The old T-shirt trick is something that is widely used to clean photographic lenses in a pinch, as it won't scratch the glass or leave residue behind. HS blocks are most effective when smooth and polished - scratching with toilet paper or paper towels is a good possibility.

Mineral spirits are quite volatile (evaporate quickly) and flammable. Use in a well ventilated area and no smoking while using them.

Hope this helps

rwaritsdario

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006

First of all, DO NOT USE BRASSO. This would be the most stupid thing you can do. It is a chemical that adds shine and polish to metals by leaving a residue. It would reduce performance more than anything.

Just use cotton swabs and 97% pure rubbing alcohol to clean it.
Thats why we clean it up with rubbing alcohol after using it. And the cotton swabs could leave lints that would really reduce performance as they would mix with the thermal paste :wink:

TRENDING THREADS