Last Known Good Configuration in W2K

My computer during the last boot reported some missing or overwritten system
files and asked for the W2K installation CD. This happened after I downloaded
some critical updates from MS Windows Update site. I cancelled the boot and
rebooted with Last Known Good Cofiguration option without problems. The
question I have: Do I delete the critical updates now? Can I go business as
usual or do I need to make some changes to my system to keep this Last Good
Known Configuration?
--
Hope that someone more knowledgeable than I am can answer this for me.
Thanks.

"Primero" wrote:
> My computer during the last boot reported some missing or
> overwritten system
> files and asked for the W2K installation CD. This happened
> after I downloaded
> some critical updates from MS Windows Update site. I cancelled
> the boot and
> rebooted with Last Known Good Cofiguration option without
> problems. The
> question I have: Do I delete the critical updates now? Can I
> go business as
> usual or do I need to make some changes to my system to keep
> this Last Good
> Known Configuration?
> --
> Hope that someone more knowledgeable than I am can answer this
> for me.
> Thanks.
> Primero

Using the Last Known Good config essentially dumps all registry info
made between now and when the LKG registry was saved, and loads that
old(er) registry, which is current as of the last time you
successfully rebooted. Meaning, you’ve left yourself in a bit of an
odd spot. The new files from the MS updates are still the production
files, but the registry does not reflect these updates.

My suggestion would be to rerun the updates, but make sure you have at
least the i386 directory from the XP install disk somewhere handy.

If you don’t want to do that or don’t have the install disk around,
you could just leave things as they are, but you may run into some
funky stuff. Any reg entries referencing new files or functions will
be missing...so its pretty hard to say how the updated files will
work.

The only other option is to restore back to a restore point prior to
making the updates, if you happen to have made one.

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-Good-Configuration-W2K-ftopict348415.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1096021

This is Windows 2000 and half of what you say doesn't apply to Windows 2000 ie; no such thing as a restore point. But yes the user is in a 1/2 way state that may or may not matter. Why did the op quit the install...???

--
George Hester
_________________________________
"ehrenf" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message news:3_1096021_47ce17faf78e518ef58f0ade25cc3db6@windowsforumz.com...
> "Primero" wrote:
> > My computer during the last boot reported some missing or
> > overwritten system
> > files and asked for the W2K installation CD. This happened
> > after I downloaded
> > some critical updates from MS Windows Update site. I cancelled
> > the boot and
> > rebooted with Last Known Good Cofiguration option without
> > problems. The
> > question I have: Do I delete the critical updates now? Can I
> > go business as
> > usual or do I need to make some changes to my system to keep
> > this Last Good
> > Known Configuration?
> > --
> > Hope that someone more knowledgeable than I am can answer this
> > for me.
> > Thanks.
> > Primero
>
> Using the Last Known Good config essentially dumps all registry info
> made between now and when the LKG registry was saved, and loads that
> old(er) registry, which is current as of the last time you
> successfully rebooted. Meaning, you've left yourself in a bit of an
> odd spot. The new files from the MS updates are still the production
> files, but the registry does not reflect these updates.
>
> My suggestion would be to rerun the updates, but make sure you have at
> least the i386 directory from the XP install disk somewhere handy.
>
> If you don't want to do that or don't have the install disk around,
> you could just leave things as they are, but you may run into some
> funky stuff. Any reg entries referencing new files or functions will
> be missing...so its pretty hard to say how the updated files will
> work.
>
> The only other option is to restore back to a restore point prior to
> making the updates, if you happen to have made one.

> Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-Good-Configuration-W2K-ftopict348415.html
> Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1096021

Thank you both. I could not re-run the updates because they were still listed
in Add or Remove Programs in the Control Panel. I tried to delete them first
but the one I picked did not delete (KB885492). I allowed 4 hours for the
computer to finish the task. Every time I checked the task manager it
reported the Add/Remove Program to be still running. Finally I ran out of
patience and terminated the program in Task Manager. So far I am having no
problems with the computer and I am keeping my fingers crossed.
Primero

"George Hester" wrote:
>This is Windows 2000 and half of what you say doesn’t apply to
>Windows 2000 ie; no such thing as a restore point. But yes the user
>is in a 1/2 way state that may or may not matter. Why did the op
quit
>the install...???

Ah, true. My mistake. Scratch the restore point reference, replace
"XP" with "w2k" and everything still applies, though.

If everything is working, then you may very well be ok. Keep an eye
on things, but if its working......