Making new Image Bootable After Cloning

Mike

Splendid

Need help! I can clone my HD to a USB HD no problem. But when I try to boot
from this drive I get the ARC and HAL file problem and nothing happens.
Acronis tech support said that I needed to run Sysprep for XP SP2 to make the
image boot. Can someone please provide a detail procedure for using XP SP2
sysprep. This USB is my backup in case the primary drive dies. I backup my
file separately on CD.

Thanks
Mike

Hi Mike,

If you are trying to boot to the external USB drive, it will not work.
WindowsXP was not designed to do this.

You may find this article on the subject interesting.
Recommendations for Booting Windows from USB Storage Devices
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/storage/usb-boot.mspx#EGAA

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]

Mike wrote:
> Need help! I can clone my HD to a USB HD no problem.
> But when I try to boot from this drive I get the ARC and
> HAL file problem and nothing happens. Acronis tech
> support said that I needed to run Sysprep for XP SP2 to
> make the image boot. Can someone please provide a detail
> procedure for using XP SP2 sysprep. This USB is my
> backup in case the primary drive dies. I backup my file
> separately on CD.
>
> Thanks
> Mike

Richard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

> Need help! I can clone my HD to a USB HD no problem. But when I try to
> boot
> from this drive I get the ARC and HAL file problem and nothing happens.
> Acronis tech support said that I needed to run Sysprep for XP SP2 to make
> the
> image boot. Can someone please provide a detail procedure for using XP
> SP2
> sysprep. This USB is my backup in case the primary drive dies. I backup
> my
> file separately on CD.
>
> Thanks
> Mike

Another approach is to image your HD to the USB HD on a regular schedule.
Now if you have a HD failure, remove the broken HD and put in a new HD . Now
follow the Acronis bare metal restore procedure and you are back in
business. You could test the backup by restoring to the existing HD while
everything is still working.

An even better strategy is to buy a spare HD now. Then pretend that your
existing HD has failed. take out the old, put in the new and do a bare metal
restore from your USB HD Image. This is a risk free method of testing out
your backup system as your good old HD is available if a mistake is made.

This is the method I used when testing out my old Ghost backup and I have
followed it again with the spare drive when I recently gave up Ghost and
switched to Acronis.

A good back up means a good night's sleep :))

Richard.

Mike

Splendid

Richard
I really appreciate the help. I have the original HD cloned to the USB HD
when I have tried to clone it with Acronis to a new IDE HD it still gets the
ARC and HAL errors. How do I make this new HD bootable again? Do I have to
reinstall XP on this drive?

Thanks
Mike

> Richard
> I really appreciate the help. I have the original HD cloned to the USB HD
> when I have tried to clone it with Acronis to a new IDE HD it still gets
> the
> ARC and HAL errors. How do I make this new HD bootable again? Do I have
> reinstall XP on this drive?
>
> Thanks
> Mike
>
> "Richard" wrote:
>

>> "Mike" <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Need help! I can clone my HD to a USB HD no problem. But when I try
>> > boot
>> > from this drive I get the ARC and HAL file problem and nothing happens.
>> > Acronis tech support said that I needed to run Sysprep for XP SP2 to
>> > make
>> > the
>> > image boot. Can someone please provide a detail procedure for using XP
>> > SP2
>> > sysprep. This USB is my backup in case the primary drive dies. I
>> > backup
>> > my
>> > file separately on CD.
>> >
>> > Thanks
snip

If I understand you correctly you are trying to make a USB drive bootable
with WINXP.

If my understanding is correct, then you can't do this, WINXP will not boot
from an exernal drive.

TRENDING THREADS