Making new Image Bootable After Cloning

Need help! I can clone my HD to a USB HD no problem. But when I try to boot
from this drive I get the ARC and HAL file problem and nothing happens.
Acronis tech support said that I needed to run Sysprep for XP SP2 to make the
image boot. Can someone please provide a detail procedure for using XP SP2
sysprep. This USB is my backup in case the primary drive dies. I backup my
file separately on CD.

Thanks
Mike
4 answers Last reply
More about making image bootable cloning

    Hi Mike,

    If you are trying to boot to the external USB drive, it will not work.
    WindowsXP was not designed to do this.

    You may find this article on the subject interesting.
    Recommendations for Booting Windows from USB Storage Devices
    http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/storage/usb-boot.mspx#EGAA

    --
    Regards,
    Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]

    > Need help! I can clone my HD to a USB HD no problem. But when I try to
    > boot
    > from this drive I get the ARC and HAL file problem and nothing happens.
    > Acronis tech support said that I needed to run Sysprep for XP SP2 to make
    > the
    > image boot. Can someone please provide a detail procedure for using XP
    > SP2
    > sysprep. This USB is my backup in case the primary drive dies. I backup
    > my
    > file separately on CD.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Mike

    Another approach is to image your HD to the USB HD on a regular schedule.
    Now if you have a HD failure, remove the broken HD and put in a new HD . Now
    follow the Acronis bare metal restore procedure and you are back in
    business. You could test the backup by restoring to the existing HD while
    everything is still working.

    An even better strategy is to buy a spare HD now. Then pretend that your
    existing HD has failed. take out the old, put in the new and do a bare metal
    restore from your USB HD Image. This is a risk free method of testing out
    your backup system as your good old HD is available if a mistake is made.

    This is the method I used when testing out my old Ghost backup and I have
    followed it again with the spare drive when I recently gave up Ghost and
    switched to Acronis.

    A good back up means a good night's sleep :-))

    Richard.

    Richard
    I really appreciate the help. I have the original HD cloned to the USB HD
    when I have tried to clone it with Acronis to a new IDE HD it still gets the
    ARC and HAL errors. How do I make this new HD bootable again? Do I have to
    reinstall XP on this drive?

    Thanks
    Mike

    > Richard
    > I really appreciate the help. I have the original HD cloned to the USB HD
    > when I have tried to clone it with Acronis to a new IDE HD it still gets
    > the
    > ARC and HAL errors. How do I make this new HD bootable again? Do I have
    > reinstall XP on this drive?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Mike
    >
    > "Richard" wrote:
    >

    >> "Mike" <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Need help! I can clone my HD to a USB HD no problem. But when I try
    >> > boot
    >> > from this drive I get the ARC and HAL file problem and nothing happens.
    >> > Acronis tech support said that I needed to run Sysprep for XP SP2 to
    >> > make
    >> > the
    >> > image boot. Can someone please provide a detail procedure for using XP
    >> > SP2
    >> > sysprep. This USB is my backup in case the primary drive dies. I
    >> > backup
    >> > my
    >> > file separately on CD.
    >> >
    >> > Thanks
    snip

    If I understand you correctly you are trying to make a USB drive bootable
    with WINXP.

    If my understanding is correct, then you can't do this, WINXP will not boot
    from an exernal drive.

Windows XP