Cannot log on

I have lost the password to my home computer Win 2k pro (administrator). Can
I reinstall the operating system and then assign a new password to the admin?
and will this delete all of my personal files?

Marcelo

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2004

You must do a parallel instalation (i.e. using other name for the windows
directory), then you must install all your software again, and you may
access your files....

Another option is using a cracking software, to crack your password.

Marcelo

"tmcostanal" <tmcostanal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have lost the password to my home computer Win 2k pro (administrator).
Can
> I reinstall the operating system and then assign a new password to the
admin?
> and will this delete all of my personal files?

This is equivalent to you replacing your car because you have lost
your keys. The usual method is to plan ahead and make a second
set of keys, or, in your case, to create a second admin account
whose password you lock away.

The analogy does not stop here. To reset the admin password,
get a locksmith in the form of this boot disk. It's scary stuff but
it works:

http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/bootdisk.html