Sign in with
Your question

Someone Please Help

Last response: in Systems
December 18, 2006 11:11:40 PM

When I switched on my computer for the first time the fans spun for literally half a second then nothing....no beeps, spinning, lights, anything...
This is happening everytime I switch it on.

Does anyone know what could be wrong?

More about : question

December 18, 2006 11:47:03 PM

Is this a custom build, did you buy it from a friend, a store? The more info the better :wink:
December 19, 2006 1:09:30 AM

I am building it (my first).

I reconnected a lot of the cords and know the fans spin normal except for the CPU fan. It also sounds like the hard drive is running, but I could be hearing the PSU...not sure which.

Here are the specs:
TT Armor Case
GIGABYTE 965P-DS3
E6400
1 GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800
OCZ 700W PSU
Seagate 320GB SATA HDD
7600GT GPU

I can't figure out how to get the CPU fan running. It sometimes spins a couple seconds when I first power on, but then it stops. Its locked into position and plugged into the proper slot on the mobo...
Related resources
December 19, 2006 1:45:21 AM

This is not an easy one to work out,as you have not even had it get to the boot menu.It could be any number of things, but it sounds like a MB problem too me. Without it not being able post a screen, it's hard to tell.
December 19, 2006 1:55:43 AM

Quote:
I am building it (my first).

I reconnected a lot of the cords and know the fans spin normal except for the CPU fan. It also sounds like the hard drive is running, but I could be hearing the PSU...not sure which.

Here are the specs:
TT Armor Case
GIGABYTE 965P-DS3
E6400
1 GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800
OCZ 700W PSU
Seagate 320GB SATA HDD
7600GT GPU

I can't figure out how to get the CPU fan running. It sometimes spins a couple seconds when I first power on, but then it stops. Its locked into position and plugged into the proper slot on the mobo...

double check everything. connections,components, everything.
December 19, 2006 2:21:09 AM

Re-seat the CPU and make sure the heatsink is installed properly. Remove all other non essential hardware keeping only the cpu\memory\and Vid card. If it still doesn't power on, try one stick of ram (assuming that you are using 2x512)Try different slots. Make sure the the 24 and 4 pin power connectors are firmly in place and you feel the "click" locking them in.
December 19, 2006 2:23:55 AM

Yeah, it could be a lot of things, but for my 2 cents...
When I built my first conroe (6400) I had almost the exact same problem, power on for about 1 second with fans, then it'd stop (then it would pause for like 5 seconds, then try again)...
I found out that it was the RAM - nothing faulty with the RAM itself, but just compatability issues with the mobo. Guys at the tech store knew what it was right away cos he'd had a few same issues.
I had the Gigabytes DQ6 (which is why I thought you might have the same prob), forgot what brand RAM originally but the replacement Kingston worked fine. The DQ6 subsequently had a few BIOS updates fixing the problem - check it out for your mobo...

E6600
Gigabyte DQ6
2x1024 Kingston (5-5-5-15)
7900GT (oc)
4x320 Seagate SATA2
Custom H20 cooling (too many pipes, not enough case!!)
December 19, 2006 2:50:15 AM

Thanks for the advice everyone. I will try everything suggested.
!