rabidbunny

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
Hey, my parents have been experiencing problems with our older Dell 4550 (yeah i know it's a dell). When the pc starts up, sometimes it gives them an error saying that the graphics card doesn't have the power cable connected to it when it really is.

So, while it was occuring, I went into the room and opened up the case with the power off of course. I unplugged and re-plugged in the molex connector giving it power and it seemed to solve the problem. today, my parents told me that it has happened more frequently today. Sometimes the pc will boot up and sometimes it won't. They ahve to turn the system on and off again sometimes disconnecting the whole system just to get it to work...
This ONLY seems to happen at startup. My dad said something about "the system continuously running" which he did not explain.

My big question is, what could be the problem?
I think it either is the psu going or the molex cable isn't together right. I will check the latter soon after posting this.

Here's the system's specs (if you want to know)
-p4B 2.4ghz
-1280 mb ram
-intel 845PE motherboard
-Ati X800gto AGP card
-60 gb hard drive.

Also, I may swap out the Ati (new) card for my old mx 420 just to get the system to work without issues until I can get a new psu if it's dying...

I know this was long, but I wanted to make sure that I got enough info for everone.

Thank you soooo much for any help/suggestions.

mpjesse

Splendid
I'm going to take a gander at this. According to Dell's website the PSU in that computer is only rated at 250W. That probably not enough for that x800 GTO card. A system will always consume it's maximum power upon boot, so that could be why the problem shows up only on boot. Once in windows power saving drivers are loaded and the system (generally) consumes less than when in POST.

My suggestion: get a 300-350W PSU for the computer. They run about $50 in CompUSA. Don't blow a ton on a super nice PSU, you'll be wasting your money. Just need a basic ATX power supply.

ravizz

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2006
Not that I am an expert at this, but I do have an geforce FX5900 that does this from time to time. This happens only when i move the computer.

The only solution that I have found that works properly, is to take the card out of the machine, i.e. unplug all, remove the card, clean the contacts and the card with a blower, clean out the inside of the machine, reassemble the machine with the card, and try out.

works for me.

rabidbunny

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
Right. I hooked up the graphics card's power to another connector and I will see when I get home if my mom had problems with it....

Otherwise, I will have to install the old mx420 for now so the psu doesn't blow because i think it's the psu.

Next week I will probably order a new psu for it. I will have to cut some of the case out in order for the new psu to fit in because I am not paying $100 + for one of those Dell made psus. Something with at least 350watts will suffice off of newegg. If anyone can find a decent one for my system that would be awsome ;)

I currently have an Antec in my homebuilt rig and I like it. So Antec, Enermax, etc are fine with me though..

And about two weeks or so ago I sprayed out all the dust and dog hair from the inside of the dell so it should be fine for now as far as dust goes...

Thanks to all of you who responded.