60 Gig HD Won't Work In A Gateway

waldo1967

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2006
I wanted to put a 60 Gig HD in a Gateway system with an Intel 82810E small form ATX board.
For some reason it would not accept it. The bios didn't even recognize it.
I know the HD works because I use it as a backup in a custom built with an identical Intel board.
I was told MAYBE the system (main board or bios) had a limit on the size of HD.
Never heard of that before, but to get it going, I reinstalled the origional 20 Gig that came with it.
Now it seems to be going out. I have rebooted on a couple of occasions and it stalls.
Is there a way to upgrade to a larger HD on a Gateway?
THANKS!

edit---- I was looking at other post and I can see that I am not the only one that has problems with gateways and replacement HD.
I read where someone mentioned about differences between SATA HD and IDE HD. My computer is about 5 years old and my HD is newer. Is there a way to make it compatible or am I stuck in the mud with this one?

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
Is that 60g a SATA drive?

How did you connect it?

Can you boot the 20g in Safe mode?

60g should not have been a problem.

If it's a connection issue, SATA's can be converted to IDE cable connections with an adapter.

elpresidente2075

Distinguished
May 29, 2006
It could be something in the bios that limits the hardware that can be installed on the system to only things that gateway puts out. I've seen stranger things before...

You may want to look into replacing the board with some equivalent aftermarket board. One that fits 5 year old parts shouldn't be very much more than 30 bucks or so, so that would totally circumvent the problem.

Course, it could be that the disk isn't getting enough juice. The connector that you are connecting to it from the power supply may have failed, or that whole line may have failed. Make sure you have plugged it in in the first place, I've made that mistake a couple times :oops: .

You may also want to carefully examine the board for any jumpers that may be related to this cause. Find a manual, be it online or with the stuff that came with it, that shows you the jumper diagrams and completely rule that out. If that's not the case, I don't know what the problem is with it.

If you have any questions about the differences between PATA (what you called IDE) and SATA, I can get links/pics, but it will be painfully obvious what the differences are. Do a google image search for both PATA and SATA. Your old hard disk is most likely PATA. Only you know what the new one has.

TRENDING THREADS