My (dynamic IP) server doesn't receive mails. Pop3 issue?

pellel

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2005
I am trying to get my e-mail service to work but it doesn't. When sending mail I use my ISP's server (since port 25 is blocked) so that works fine. My problem is receiving mails.

I use DNSer to update my dynamic ip-adress when it changes and I also send "mail.mydomain.com" to my DNS-operator.

1. Should mail.mydomain.com be the name of the pop3 server that I enter in Outlook Express when adding more mail accounts. I want to be able to receive mails with "user@mydomain.com" not "user@mail.mydomain.com".

When opening the pop3 snap in module my computer name (myserver) is visible in the upper left corner. The name (myserver) is also the server I have entered in Outlook Express as the pop3-server to receive incoming e-mails. The smtp-server for outgoing e-mails is of course my ISP's.

2. Should the server name that receives incoming mails be "myserver" (my computer's name) och something else? If yes, what should it be in my situation?

In the pop3 snap in module I have created a domain called "mydomain.com" under the computer name ("myserver"). In mydomain.com I have created some different mailboxes that I use to send e-mails (and try to receive e-mails).

Hope someone can help me here so I can get the mail system to work both ways...

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
Clients can connect to either mail.mydomain.com or the internal name/ip of the server for recieving mail.

What mail server are you using? Exchange? Postfix?
Do you have a firewall on your network? are the apropriate ports forwarded? you will need SMTP (port 25) forwarded to the mail server.
Is your MX record pointed to mail.mydomain.com?
How recently did you setup your domain/MX record? New domain names can take up to a week to fully propagate throughout the internet.