Happy

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2004

Does anyone have any suggestions regarding power management? Right now, my
monitor, HD and standby are set to "never", and hibernate is not enabled. I
don't know the advantages / disadvantages of alternatives.

Hi,

The main advantage of managing power is to conserve energy and
conserving battery live in portable computers. The next would be to
hopefully prolong the life of the hardware, particularly the monitor.
More so for portable computers screens which are very expensive to
replace. Now these suggestions are guidelines and should be adjusted
to fit your needs. I would suggest having the screen saver activate
(to a blank screen) in 15 minutes when the system is unattended and go
into stand by in 30 minutes. I don't think turning the hard drive off
saves much power, It's better to let just go into stand by IMO. I have
found that hibernate works best on portable systems but I don't use it
much. If hibernate is used make sure not to add or remove any
peripherals while it is in that state. I had my notebook in hibernate
one day and removed the wireless adaptor and transported it to work
where I plugged in to the network and brought it out of hibernate, not
good. I ended up having to use system restore to get the system
working. So now I simply turn it off and bring it to work, of if the
system is going to be unused for an extended period of time. <g>

These are my options and I am sure there will be many more as this a
contravirual subject.

Hope this helps.
--
Regards,