Terminal Server Printing and HP JetDirect

Have a problem where we use Windows 2000 Terminal Server and the local client
is not auto-creating a printer for the session because the printer is using a
HP JetDirect 170x. Where this gets interesting is that whewn I share that
printer locally and get another Terminal Server Client to use it, it creates
and printer session for them and works fine.

Does anybody know a solution that does not use third party software?

"Robert Pyne" <robert_pyne@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Have a problem where we use Windows 2000 Terminal Server and the local
client
> is not auto-creating a printer for the session because the printer is
using a
> HP JetDirect 170x. Where this gets interesting is that whewn I share that
> printer locally and get another Terminal Server Client to use it, it
creates
> and printer session for them and works fine.
>
> Does anybody know a solution that does not use third party software?

I suggest you start the discussion by stating clearly whether
the printer is physically connected to the terminal server or
to the client.

Furthermore, if it works on another client then the most
obvious solution would be to ensure that the two clients
are configured in exactly the same way.

Pegasus I clearly stated that the printer is connected to a HP JetDirect and
that it is shared on a client. All other clients can use this printer except
for the client that is hosting the share.

"Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:

> "Robert Pyne" <robert_pyne@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Have a problem where we use Windows 2000 Terminal Server and the local
> client
> > is not auto-creating a printer for the session because the printer is
> using a
> > HP JetDirect 170x. Where this gets interesting is that whewn I share that
> > printer locally and get another Terminal Server Client to use it, it
> creates
> > and printer session for them and works fine.
> >
> > Does anybody know a solution that does not use third party software?
>
> I suggest you start the discussion by stating clearly whether
> the printer is physically connected to the terminal server or
> to the client.
>
> Furthermore, if it works on another client then the most
> obvious solution would be to ensure that the two clients
> are configured in exactly the same way.

Maybe I'm missing something here but can't you use a "dummy client" to
provide the share.

Robert Pyne wrote:

> Pegasus I clearly stated that the printer is connected to a HP JetDirect and
> that it is shared on a client. All other clients can use this printer except
> for the client that is hosting the share.
>
> "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:
>

>>"Robert Pyne" <robert_pyne@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>Have a problem where we use Windows 2000 Terminal Server and the local
>>
>>client
>>
>>>is not auto-creating a printer for the session because the printer is
>>
>>using a
>>
>>>HP JetDirect 170x. Where this gets interesting is that whewn I share that
>>>printer locally and get another Terminal Server Client to use it, it
>>
>>creates
>>
>>>and printer session for them and works fine.
>>>
>>>Does anybody know a solution that does not use third party software?
>>
>>I suggest you start the discussion by stating clearly whether
>>the printer is physically connected to the terminal server or
>>to the client.
>>
>>Furthermore, if it works on another client then the most
>>obvious solution would be to ensure that the two clients
>>are configured in exactly the same way.

If you want the "local client" to be able to print to the "shared
printer" simple set it up the same way as the other clients, after the
initial share. In other words Access it as the SHARED printer, not try
it directly.

Robert Pyne wrote:

> Pegasus I clearly stated that the printer is connected to a HP JetDirect and
> that it is shared on a client. All other clients can use this printer except
> for the client that is hosting the share.
>
> "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:
>

>>"Robert Pyne" <robert_pyne@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>Have a problem where we use Windows 2000 Terminal Server and the local
>>
>>client
>>
>>>is not auto-creating a printer for the session because the printer is
>>
>>using a
>>
>>>HP JetDirect 170x. Where this gets interesting is that whewn I share that
>>>printer locally and get another Terminal Server Client to use it, it
>>
>>creates
>>
>>>and printer session for them and works fine.
>>>
>>>Does anybody know a solution that does not use third party software?
>>
>>I suggest you start the discussion by stating clearly whether
>>the printer is physically connected to the terminal server or
>>to the client.
>>
>>Furthermore, if it works on another client then the most
>>obvious solution would be to ensure that the two clients
>>are configured in exactly the same way.

Bob what do you mean by dummy client? In relation to sharing the printer that
is shared, how can you share your own printer? I tried and in just reverts
to the local printer.

"Bob I" wrote:

> Maybe I'm missing something here but can't you use a "dummy client" to
> provide the share.
>
> Robert Pyne wrote:
>
> > Pegasus I clearly stated that the printer is connected to a HP JetDirect and
> > that it is shared on a client. All other clients can use this printer except
> > for the client that is hosting the share.
> >
> > "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:
> >

> >>"Robert Pyne" <robert_pyne@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> >>client

> >>using a

> >>creates

> >>I suggest you start the discussion by stating clearly whether
> >>the printer is physically connected to the terminal server or
> >>to the client.
> >>
> >>Furthermore, if it works on another client then the most
> >>obvious solution would be to ensure that the two clients
> >>are configured in exactly the same way.

Dummy client -> Create a "client" who will provide the share. That is
the clients only purpose.

To share your own printer
After sharing the printer. Do a local map of that printer-> go to the
command line and then

NET USE LPT1 \\computername\sharenameofprinter

Robert Pyne wrote:

> Bob what do you mean by dummy client? In relation to sharing the printer that
> is shared, how can you share your own printer? I tried and in just reverts
> to the local printer.
>
> "Bob I" wrote:
>

>>Maybe I'm missing something here but can't you use a "dummy client" to
>>provide the share.
>>
>>Robert Pyne wrote:
>>

>>>Pegasus I clearly stated that the printer is connected to a HP JetDirect and
>>>that it is shared on a client. All other clients can use this printer except
>>>for the client that is hosting the share.

Thanks Bob, I have tried that and the Terminal Server still does not create a
printer for my Terminal Server session.

"Bob I" wrote:

> Dummy client -> Create a "client" who will provide the share. That is
> the clients only purpose.
>
> To share your own printer
> After sharing the printer. Do a local map of that printer-> go to the
> command line and then
>
> NET USE LPT1 \\computername\sharenameofprinter
>

> Robert Pyne wrote:
>
> > Bob what do you mean by dummy client? In relation to sharing the printer that
> > is shared, how can you share your own printer? I tried and in just reverts
> > to the local printer.
> >
> > "Bob I" wrote:
> >

> >>Maybe I'm missing something here but can't you use a "dummy client" to
> >>provide the share.

As I am not familiar with Terminal server ins and outs, I am only
offering alternatives. You are saying that neither method works?

Robert Pyne wrote:

> Thanks Bob, I have tried that and the Terminal Server still does not create a
> printer for my Terminal Server session.
>
> "Bob I" wrote:
>

>>Dummy client -> Create a "client" who will provide the share. That is
>>the clients only purpose.
>>
>>To share your own printer
>>After sharing the printer. Do a local map of that printer-> go to the
>>command line and then
>>
>>NET USE LPT1 \\computername\sharenameofprinter
>>

>>Robert Pyne wrote:
>>

>>>Bob what do you mean by dummy client? In relation to sharing the printer that
>>>is shared, how can you share your own printer? I tried and in just reverts
>>>to the local printer.

The drive mapping defintely does not work and I am unsure of what you mean by
creating a dummy client. How do you do that?

"Bob I" wrote:

> As I am not familiar with Terminal server ins and outs, I am only
> offering alternatives. You are saying that neither method works?
>
> Robert Pyne wrote:
>
> > Thanks Bob, I have tried that and the Terminal Server still does not create a
> > printer for my Terminal Server session.
> >
> > "Bob I" wrote:
> >

> >>Dummy client -> Create a "client" who will provide the share. That is
> >>the clients only purpose.
> >>
> >>To share your own printer
> >>After sharing the printer. Do a local map of that printer-> go to the
> >>command line and then
> >>
> >>NET USE LPT1 \\computername\sharenameofprinter

Ok, you say that the client that is hosting the share cannot use it
correct? That is the "dummy client".