What's up next for me?

elpresidente2075

Distinguished
May 29, 2006
I'm having trouble deciding what I want to get for my computer, so I thought I might put it out there for you guys to help me decide. A couple things to keep in mind is that I am fine with my computer as it is, although I could stand to have it move a bit faster when I have it loading and switching between programs. It moves just as fast as I want it to in games, as I don't play very much, and when I do, its generally single player. Last, I don't have a lot of money, so big huge upgrades are pretty much out of the question.

Ok my current specs are in my sig, along with 1 gig of mismatched 512 sticks of ram, an off-brand 17 inch LCD, along with a brand-new, fine for me case.

The upgrades I was thinking of getting were:

Another gigabyte of ram, bringing the total to 2.
A new processor
options:
Opty144, 939
any Athlon 64X2, AM2
A new monitor, possibly 19" or above.

My motherboard's a bit of an oddity, being able to support 939 and AM2 processors with a daughtercard that I can get. If I went with an AM2 setup, I'd have to buy 2 gigs of all-new ram for it as well, as it would need DDR2, and all I have is DDR. If I went with the Opteron, I would overclock the heck out of it (hey, its only 77 bucks!), and probably get another gig of ram and a kick butt screw-on cooler so I can attach my TEC to the setup (I would need advice on which one in this case, I'm just lost in that arena). If I got an LCD for the system, I'd run dual monitors, as I had the setup before I got the LCD, and would love to have it back.

So you can see, these options that I have here are all relatively similar in price, and all are within the realm of possibility. Also, all are of equal value to me, so I wonder what others would do, if they were in my shoes.

What do you all think? If you think of a specific item, links would be particularly helpful. Thanks for all of your opinions!

js2k6

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
If you're thinking of upgrading the CPU i'd suggest waiting till you can afford a core 2, ddr2 memory and a motherboard to support them. That would cost around $470 though so it might be a bit too much but no doubt it would run anything ALOT better than your current setup.

elpresidente2075

Distinguished
May 29, 2006
Like I implied, I'm only looking to spend around 200 bucks at the most. Getting a core 2 would be like swatting a fly with a cannon, as the Chinese parables go. I don't have any serious performance issues with anything my system runs, and even when I do, I just increase my overclock on the CPU (which is 25% on stock air, btw). Of course, benchmarks would see a very large improvement, but I don't care for that. I run 64 bit Linux usually, and there just so happens to be very good support for all the hardware that I have and am looking at, so I'm looking to stay on the same upgrade path. I'm just looking to make my computer a bit more future proof without having to get a whole new compy.

If I would get a new CPU, I'd get something from the bottom of the line, one that could get me decent performance for a very low price. Getting a low-end X2 and a gig of ram would cost me just about exactly 200 bucks, plus 40 for the add-in card.

Also, by the time I had 500 bucks to spend, K8L would have been out for some time, and the next revision of Core2 would have been out I'm sure, so unfortunately, that makes a serious upgrade impossible.

Please don't take this as me shooting your idea down out of the sky, I'm just trying to give a better feel for my situation to everyone. Sorry my situation is so bleak...

dokk

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2006
I think that your first thought was right on just upgrade as needed say ,do the video card,OR, do the ram thingy,there's nothing wrong with a good 939 mobo,just ask me,:)..
And like you say when it'$ time do the cpu as well......:))

elpresidente2075

Distinguished
May 29, 2006
I was thinking that too, but what do you think of the upcoming scarcity of good 939 procs? I know that I've missed the boat with some technologies before, and I don't want to miss out on getting a better CPU as well.