Sign in with
Your question

Critique my build everyone please?

Last response: in Systems
December 19, 2006 12:11:27 AM
December 19, 2006 12:15:04 AM

Oh yeah I want this build to last me AT LEAST 2 years...what do you guys think?
December 19, 2006 12:44:01 AM

It will. 4Gb is a little excessive now IMO. I'd go for 2 now, and get a nice case and cooling with those $.
Related resources
December 19, 2006 1:01:11 AM

Keep the 4 gigs if you can afford it. Then you can do away with the swap file. Looks good.
December 19, 2006 1:17:49 AM

As far as I know, you can't never eliminate the swap file. There are programs and processes that use it, no matter how much RAM you have. So, you should end with a slower PC after all.
December 19, 2006 1:59:40 AM

First off - if you need that much power (dual 8800 GTX's) then you are hard core gaming at LAN paries or something professioinal and nothing will last you 4 years. You'll be out gunned in a year.

If you just want a good gaming system save the money and buy one 8800GTX and wait for the next generation of Graphics card to role in. If you need the extra power then, go for it. Either way, you'll last just as long.

If you are a hard core gamer, expect on changing out those Graphics card well before 4 years. Forget the time frame and start saving up for your next upgrades.

Definitely add RAID 0 or a WD Raptor/ or 2 WD's RAIDed together :) 
HD speed is very important.
December 19, 2006 2:42:36 PM

So you guys think I should go with the Asus Striker Extreme board for NF680i or wait for the DFI one to come out? Also, what about ATI's dx10 card think I should wait for that to come out to see how it compares, before jumping on the 8800gtx ship? As for ram would it be better to get 4x1024 sticks or 2x2048 sticks? Thanks for all the help guys... Oh yeah 2 more things lol... The Intel Quad core...how does it stack up against the core2duos on games and OC'ing... And as far as a case goes, do you guys suggest the Antec p180, p160, or the nine hundred? I'm trying to balance aesthetics and qaulity for the case... noise level doesn't matter much, but cool and air flow are bigger concerns for me along with aesthetics. What do you guys think? 8O
December 19, 2006 2:53:40 PM

Alright, if memory serves... I think you'll be just dandy with 2g of RAM. If you REALLY want 4g I think you'd be better off with 2x2g sticks, I believe it reduces the chance of bottlenecking the memory controller, but I could be completely wrong, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, go for a single GPU unless you're using a 30" widescreen or something with ridiculous resolution. It's better to buy the happy medium and not waste the cash and just upgrade later, you get a longer performance life out of your PC that way. I'm still using a 7800GT overclocked cause I use a Dell 1905 at 1280x1024. I don't need anything higher, and I won't upgrade until I need to. Saves me cash.

The e6600 is a beast CPU, enjoy it.

Why not look into a PC Power and Cooling PSU instead of an Enermax? Their PSUs make me drool.

Board should be fine.

:) 
December 19, 2006 2:53:42 PM

if you have 4 1 gig sticks of ram, do the 2 pairs run in dual channel? or do you sacrifice any speed by having 4 instead of just 2 sticks
December 19, 2006 3:05:42 PM

Critique your Build? Ok - you could stand to loose a bit of weight, and your upper body could be more tone.

Jokeing asside - 2 Gig of memory is pleanty - 4 is a bit of overkill unless you choose XP64 or Vista. If you go ahead and get the 4 - you might not see it all - but you will see as much as you can see (take this with a grain of salt.)

The E6600 is nice - and doesn't require overclocking but will OC well even with the stock HSF. I chose the AC Freezer Pro 7 - a very nice aftermarket product which has very good cooling for a low price.

I don't like the Antec 900 - I don't like windows - but it's a matter of taste. I have the P180B - both models come with 3 120mm fans - so your selection will be very cool to say the least.

I think I read something in the forum that said the GTX shines on very large displays - if you do not have or plan to have a 22" or larger display you may not need all that power. Additionally - the 8800's in SLI mode seems a bit buggy from other posts - so you may want to reconsider. I would suggest that you get a lesser card in the 7900 or 7600 series and wait for the DX10 cards to mature.

The PS seems to be nice - I would think this is one of their flagship products so it should be built to a very high standard. Verify that the PS is what you really need - especially the amperage on the rails. I say this as I havn't really looked at the specs on this model.

Good luck with the build and have fun.

Cheers.
December 19, 2006 3:26:58 PM

Stay with the 4gigs if your going to upgrade to Vista.If your staying with XP go with 3 gigs. I own a X6800 as well as a E6700. Around April or May.Intel is cutting their prices,as well as adding a E6600 Quad core for $530. On both of my machines I'm running eVGA's new 122_CK-NF68 boards.They have amazing overclocking abilties and run very stable. I'd go with the X6800, Intel left it unlocked,so its easy to OC.I've had mine running at 3.4Ghz for 1 1/2 months and with the Zalman 9700 my temops stay at 38-40c under full load. My E6700 is running at 2.93 I used the stock fan & heat sink from the X6800 and my temps stay at 41c under full load. AS far as case's go,UIts up to you as far as what you like.My main machine is in a Thermaltake Mozart TX. There's so much room in this case,and no heatimng probs at all.My 2nd machine is in a Cooler Master CM Stacker 830 with the Nvidia Black & green paint job.You can find this case at Nvidia's Market Place for $299. The Mozart TX is $229.99
December 19, 2006 3:57:25 PM

Well, I'm surprised nobody commented on this before, but you won't be able to run those 8800 gtx in sli on a ATi chipset board, so I guess that mobo (the dfi) is not an option. You should go with a 680i mobo (and don't go with asus, their products aren't reliable and their support is terrible)
December 20, 2006 5:13:23 AM

Quote:
Stay with the 4gigs if your going to upgrade to Vista. If your staying with XP go with 3 gigs.

Please explain your logic and your plan for effectively implementing 3 gigs of memory.

And.. I've never had a problem, nor do I know anyone who's had a problem with Asus Support or Products.
December 20, 2006 9:53:12 AM

Quote:

And.. I've never had a problem, nor do I know anyone who's had a problem with Asus Support or Products.

Well, that's good, but unfortunately I didn't have that luck. I had a lot of problems with some asus mobo a few years ago and support was really lacking. Then I started using DFI products.

Then I upgraded this year to C2D and the only available board were asus, and, well, my on-board audio went dead and support has just ignored my request to have it fixed (yeah, it's been more than a month now, and they didn't even returned the mail), so I'll never buy anything from Asus again, and will always suggest that noone does.
December 20, 2006 8:07:52 PM

I enjoy DFI products as well.
December 20, 2006 8:36:50 PM

I think that 2 8800GTXs is overkill. One is more than enough then you could upgrade later. If you really want sli though you might wanna go with the evga board which is decent.
December 20, 2006 9:03:55 PM

Hey itpromike,

It’s hard to critique a build unless we know what you need and what budget your trying to maintain. Having said that, it doesn’t really look like your working with any sort of budget seeing that you’re going with dual 8800 GTX cards.

First off I have the Antec 900 case, and I could honestly say that I never thought I would own it from what I saw of it on the internet. I happened to be in CompUSA last month and they were on sale and rebates for $89.00. It is sturdy and has lots of fans, so I said what the h*ll and bought it. I bought my other components a month later, but I have to say I love this case. There are 3 120mm and 1 200mm fans that have adjustable speed switches. I set them all to low, and every time I turn the thing on I find myself look to see if they are even spinning because they are quiet.

I have the E6600 with a Thermaltake Big Typhoon cooler and my system idles at 31C and I’ve never seen it go past 38C. I have an ASUS P5B-Deluxe WiFi, 320GB Seagate, 2G of the Corsair 6400C4PRO, x1950PRO graphics card, and a Power PC & Cooling PSU. I’m completely happy with all the components I have.

My question to you is do you really need the dual 8800 card? Why not just one and get the E6700 processor?
December 25, 2006 10:04:15 PM

Hmmm.... so heres the question now. Do I go with the Asus Striker mboard, the new nf680i board from abit or wait for the DFI 680i board? I'm getting darned antsy and I want to buy something like now LOL...I want to be playing on this thing this week. And one last question is...do you guys think I should get a 8800gt/gtx or go with a 1950xtx and wait for the rd600 before going with dx10? I know these are alot of personal preferences but what would you guys do?
December 25, 2006 10:33:14 PM

Also if I plan on just running singl cards... until the r600 comes out for ATI if I go with the ATI DFI board for now...then I can still run the nvidia 8800gt for now in single card config with no probs right?
December 26, 2006 9:28:16 AM

Quote:
Hmmm.... so heres the question now. Do I go with the Asus Striker mboard, the new nf680i board from abit or wait for the DFI 680i board? I'm getting darned antsy and I want to buy something like now LOL...I want to be playing on this thing this week. And one last question is...do you guys think I should get a 8800gt/gtx or go with a 1950xtx and wait for the rd600 before going with dx10? I know these are alot of personal preferences but what would you guys do?

Well, you shouldn't go with the 1950 xtx at this moment if you plan on getting a r600 or 8800gtx (whichever is the better one) in february. You should go with a cheaper card that will hold you until beginning of february.

On the mobo, I think you'll be fine with either one of them, altough I don't recommend Asus boards, this one seems to be a good board (overpriced, but a good board nonetheless).

Quote:
Also if I plan on just running singl cards... until the r600 comes out for ATI if I go with the ATI DFI board for now...then I can still run the nvidia 8800gt for now in single card config with no probs right?

Yes. You'll be able to run a 8800 gtx, but won't be able to go SLI.
December 26, 2006 4:07:28 PM

I would reconsider on 4 gigs of RAM with that MB, I have the cfx 3200 for AMD and it does not take 4 gigs of ram. Yes it is supposed to run with 4 gigs but it has loads of probelms with it. As for 4 gigs you would want the 2 2gb pieces and not 4 1 gig. I assume you have used DFI boards before and are aware of DFI-street.com if not I would check it out for great info on DFI boards. And what is about to come out for DFI. The AMD version supports Crossfire at both running x16 instead of x8. Only real differnce i saw in board specs.
December 26, 2006 4:13:50 PM

Ok so far I've ordered an e660 core2duo, an Antec p180 case, OCZ Platinum 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000) Dual Channel Kit, the Asus Striker Extreme mboard... Now I'm having buyers remorse for the case... I hear the Antec900 isn't all it's cracked up to be and the p180 is just a plain ol' steel case...nothing great about it or the air cooling. I do hear that the CM stacker 830 is a great deal or the PC-V2000plusII from Lian-Li. So now I'm left with these options... get the Lian-Li case or the 830 stacker(I like side windows but the lian-li does look nice). And also I'm thinking about getting the Tuniq Tower 120 for my cpu so I won't have to rely on stock cooling... I know I"m asking a lot of quesitons but I wan the best I can possibly get...ONE MORE THING the PSU I'm stuck between the Enermax Galaxy 1000watt and the Silverstone Olympia(I believe) 1000watt Out what do you guys think?
December 26, 2006 4:38:40 PM

I read a few people having issues with the enermax galaxy blowing their motherboard...I really don't want to have to go through all the rma crap so I'm not sure if this is a wide issue or just a few isolated ones. Also I took a look at the zippy options for psu and the 850 seems to be great as well... If I'm going to do dual 8800gtx or just one r600 and three sata drives will 850 be ok or will I REALLY need a 1k watt to be safe? Also I took a look at the Silverstone TJ09B for the case... it didn't look to shabby either. I want to finish buying today so I really need help deciding on Case, CPU cooler, and power supply... I know all these questions get a bit annoying plus a lot has to do with personal preference, but any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the responses so far guys! :D 
December 26, 2006 5:25:46 PM

Don't get the Antec 900 case!

Get a Gigabyte Aurora 370
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

My buddy and I both just completed new system builds.
He with the 900 mine with the 370

Installing drives with the 900 was like going back in time with cages, screws and frustration.

The 370 is a tool-less case. took me 30 minuites to install a floppy, two DVD burnes and 3 Sata drives. Just remove the facia, slide the drives in and slide the lock!!
December 26, 2006 7:16:01 PM

Quote:
Stay with the 4gigs if your going to upgrade to Vista. If your staying with XP go with 3 gigs.

Please explain your logic and your plan for effectively implementing 3 gigs of memory.

Well... XP is only 32bit... which means a little over 3GB can be addressed. Anything more than that is a waste. To implement 3 gb? 2 x 1gb + 2 x 512mb. Not that hard... Lots of mainboards now support asymmetric dual channel...
December 27, 2006 1:22:53 AM

1000 is way overkill all of that stuff will run on 700. I would get the 1000 just for future upgrades though .
!