Upgrade to 2003, now no time sync

tonyb

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2004

We had a very reliable time synced network using Win2k, but since we
upgraded all the DC's to 2003, it's all gone to pot. We use a Unix box
as the reliable NTP time server, which syncs externally to a stratum 1
time source, so internally is stratum 2. The DC upgrades went smoothly,
but our root Win2k3 DC's will no longer sync to the Unix NTP server.
W32time event log errors 29, 38 and 47 are repeated, essentially saying
that there is no response from the NTP time source, and the host is not
accessible. Currently no Windows clients can sync to the 2003 DC's either.

I have done some investigation, and followed the MS article KB875424 as
this sounded like the exact solution, but no joy. It appears that time
syncing in Win2k3 has been changed, and by default doesn't trust a non
Windows timesource by default, and that article was meant to have the
solution! I've tried the following on the root PDC.

w32tm /config /manualpeerlist:<unix ntp server> /syncfromflags:MANUAL
/reliable:YES
Command is accepted ok

ntop stop/start w32time
Ok

w32tm /resync
The computer did not resync because no time data was available.

If I run w32tm /stripchart against the other root DC, I get the following;

<time> error: 0x800705B4
repeat....

I eventually thought I would unregister and re-register the w32tm
process, and got this message when trying to un-register;

Access is denied: (0x80070005)

I was logged on as administrator when trying this.

So, I have no time syncing at all at the moment!

Tony,
We are having the exact same problem that you experienced. Have you found
a solution to this problem? If so, could you email me please?

gabriels@lowen.com

Gabriel Simmons

"TonyB" wrote:

> We had a very reliable time synced network using Win2k, but since we
> upgraded all the DC's to 2003, it's all gone to pot. We use a Unix box
> as the reliable NTP time server, which syncs externally to a stratum 1
> time source, so internally is stratum 2. The DC upgrades went smoothly,
> but our root Win2k3 DC's will no longer sync to the Unix NTP server.
> W32time event log errors 29, 38 and 47 are repeated, essentially saying
> that there is no response from the NTP time source, and the host is not
> accessible. Currently no Windows clients can sync to the 2003 DC's either.
>
> I have done some investigation, and followed the MS article KB875424 as
> this sounded like the exact solution, but no joy. It appears that time
> syncing in Win2k3 has been changed, and by default doesn't trust a non
> Windows timesource by default, and that article was meant to have the
> solution! I've tried the following on the root PDC.
>
> w32tm /config /manualpeerlist:<unix ntp server> /syncfromflags:MANUAL
> /reliable:YES
> Command is accepted ok
>
> ntop stop/start w32time
> Ok
>
> w32tm /resync
> The computer did not resync because no time data was available.
>
> If I run w32tm /stripchart against the other root DC, I get the following;
>
> <time> error: 0x800705B4
> repeat....
>
> I eventually thought I would unregister and re-register the w32tm
> process, and got this message when trying to un-register;
>
> Access is denied: (0x80070005)
>
> I was logged on as administrator when trying this.
>
> So, I have no time syncing at all at the moment!

Can a normal use access the calander when doubleclicking on the clock? If
not, there is a local policy overriding the domain stuff...

"Gabriel Simmons" <GabrielSimmons@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:FBB8B499-E151-4BD5-A1C8-672767D65FC1@microsoft.com...