How to create a startup disk BUT not on A drive ?

Is there a way to create a startup disk that are not floppies?

for example instead of:
d:\bootdisk\makeboot a:

I would like to send the startup disk to a usb drive, e:
d:\bootdisk\makeboot e:

any way to do this?
thanks.
4 answers Last reply
More about create startup disk drive

    "=?Utf-8?B?UGF1bA==?=" <Paul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

    > Is there a way to create a startup disk that are not floppies?
    >
    > for example instead of:
    > d:\bootdisk\makeboot a:
    >
    > I would like to send the startup disk to a usb drive, e:
    > d:\bootdisk\makeboot e:
    >
    > any way to do this?

    The best I've found is to make a bootable CD here:
    <http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/>

    -- John

    Does your BIOS look to the USB before the hardrive floppy or CD-ROM at boot? If not it won't work. Actaully all you need to do is copy a few files to the media and rename one. But if the BIOS doesn't look there at boot it won't work.

    --
    George Hester
    _________________________________
    "Paul" <Paul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:824C2C20-17F0-4387-93D7-E813103D52E9@microsoft.com...
    > Is there a way to create a startup disk that are not floppies?
    >
    > for example instead of:
    > d:\bootdisk\makeboot a:
    >
    > I would like to send the startup disk to a usb drive, e:
    > d:\bootdisk\makeboot e:
    >
    > any way to do this?
    > thanks.

    Just for clarification: You cannot create the BartPE disc with a Windows 2000
    CD. Here's an excerpt from the web page:

    Requirements to build:
    1.. The files from your Windows Installation CD-Rom.
    Supported Windows versions are:

    a.. Windows XP Home Edition (must be slip streamed with Service Pack 1 or
    higher)
    b.. Windows XP Professional (must be slip streamed with Service Pack 1 or
    higher)
    c.. Windows Server 2003, Web Edition
    d.. Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition
    e.. Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition
    2.. PE Builder runs on Windows 2000/XP/2003/BartPE systems.
    3.. CD/DVD writer if you want to creat a bootable CD/DVD.

    "wayfarrer" <dontbother@att.net> wrote in

    > Just for clarification: You cannot create the BartPE disc with a
    > Windows 2000 CD. Here's an excerpt from the web page:

    This is true. But XP disks aren't that hard to borrow (registration
    code not needed).

    If you can't get the XP disk, then a Knoppix (Linux) boot disk will
    work to read and back up the hard drive....
    <http://www.knoppix.org>

    HTH,
    John

Microsoft Bootdisk Windows