How to create a startup disk BUT not on A drive ?

Paul

Splendid

Is there a way to create a startup disk that are not floppies?

for example instead of:
d:\bootdisk\makeboot a:

I would like to send the startup disk to a usb drive, e:
d:\bootdisk\makeboot e:

any way to do this?
thanks.

"=?Utf-8?B?UGF1bA==?=" <Paul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

> Is there a way to create a startup disk that are not floppies?
>
> for example instead of:
> d:\bootdisk\makeboot a:
>
> I would like to send the startup disk to a usb drive, e:
> d:\bootdisk\makeboot e:
>
> any way to do this?

The best I've found is to make a bootable CD here:
<http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/>

-- John

Does your BIOS look to the USB before the hardrive floppy or CD-ROM at boot? If not it won't work. Actaully all you need to do is copy a few files to the media and rename one. But if the BIOS doesn't look there at boot it won't work.

--
George Hester
_________________________________
"Paul" <Paul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:824C2C20-17F0-4387-93D7-E813103D52E9@microsoft.com...
> Is there a way to create a startup disk that are not floppies?
>
> for example instead of:
> d:\bootdisk\makeboot a:
>
> I would like to send the startup disk to a usb drive, e:
> d:\bootdisk\makeboot e:
>
> any way to do this?
> thanks.

Just for clarification: You cannot create the BartPE disc with a Windows 2000
CD. Here's an excerpt from the web page:

Requirements to build:
1.. The files from your Windows Installation CD-Rom.
Supported Windows versions are:

a.. Windows XP Home Edition (must be slip streamed with Service Pack 1 or
higher)
b.. Windows XP Professional (must be slip streamed with Service Pack 1 or
higher)
c.. Windows Server 2003, Web Edition
d.. Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition
e.. Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition
2.. PE Builder runs on Windows 2000/XP/2003/BartPE systems.
3.. CD/DVD writer if you want to creat a bootable CD/DVD.

"wayfarrer" <dontbother@att.net> wrote in

> Just for clarification: You cannot create the BartPE disc with a
> Windows 2000 CD. Here's an excerpt from the web page:

This is true. But XP disks aren't that hard to borrow (registration
code not needed).

If you can't get the XP disk, then a Knoppix (Linux) boot disk will
work to read and back up the hard drive....
<http://www.knoppix.org>

HTH,
John