Abundant Intel overheating posts....

mad-dog

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
what's the deal with everyone having overheating problems with their C2D, is this mostly operator error or a serious issue with the processor itself..

sandmanwn

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2006
the push pin system sucks. they dont want to lock to the motherboard. it is highly recommended to skip the bundled cooler for a screw/backplate design.

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
what's the deal with everyone having overheating problems with their C2D, is this mostly operator error or a serious issue with the processor itself..

More an issue with the stock HSF that comes with the C2D.

They have these ridiculously "hard to ensure they are in correctly" pin setup, that makes it sound like you broke the motherboard installing it. With 3rd party HSFs, there aren't as many problems, other than the forgetting to put thermal paste, or ensuring a proper seating of the HSF to CPU.

I know I had problems installing the stock HSF on my HTPC system. I hope Intel will rethink their HSF install setup soon.

Bache

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
Mostly HSF issues.

What you must do if you own the standard HSF is to occationaly remove the back side panel of the tower (if you have a tower with both side panels removable :) ), and inspect 8O the HSF locking pins for correct position.

mad-dog

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
Ok, gotcha, so i guess a aftermarket CPU cooler is SOP for the C2D.
Now i know why a lot of users recommend the Zalman and others for a C2D build..