Outdoor webcam to monitor a house build...

Hi,

I'm looking for a good outdoor webcam (or two) to monitor a house build. If
it was self-contained and could FTP to our web server, so much the better.
This is for a UK climate for the next 10 months.

Wireless is good as the whole site is covered by Netgear WG602 WAPs.

Cost should be reasonable, as in the low 100s of USD (or less than 150 each
if poss.)

A remote (non-mains powered) option would also be cool.

So, I would be grateful for any recommendations. Movement triggers, low
light sensitivity, ability to monitor the length of a tea break etc. would
be useful extras ;-)

Thanks

Mike

"Mike Deblis" <mdeblis@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> ability to monitor the length of a tea break etc. would
> be useful extras ;-)

If you're the boss and want to monitor your staff, make sure they are aware
about the webcam.

--

- Tony Sutton
- http://www.hyperboard.co.uk - The Biggest Message Board!

"Tony Sutton" <Tony@hypertony.co.ukNOSPAM> wrote in message
> "Mike Deblis" <mdeblis@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > ability to monitor the length of a tea break etc. would
> > be useful extras ;-)
> >

> If you're the boss and want to monitor your staff, make sure they are
aware
> about the webcam.

You may have missed the smiley at the end of that part of my message that
you quoted ;-)

Mike

Mike Deblis wrote:

> "Tony Sutton" <Tony@hypertony.co.ukNOSPAM> wrote in message
>> "Mike Deblis" <mdeblis@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> >
>> > ability to monitor the length of a tea break etc. would
>> > be useful extras ;-)
>> >

>> If you're the boss and want to monitor your staff, make sure they are
> aware
>> about the webcam.
>
> You may have missed the smiley at the end of that part of my message that
> you quoted ;-)

Doesn't alter the fact. Talk to a laywer about the legalities of what
you're doing--even if it's just to have a record of the house going up to
show your grandkids you don't want to get in trouble over it. And by
Murphy's law, sure as you don't get the legalities taken care of
something's going to go wrong and you're going to need that recording as
evidence.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

i purchased a used 3com homeconnect webcam off ebay. its the best night/dark
lighting webcam i've ever seen.

check out my streaming webcam
http://home.rochester.rr.com/ducksauce/web/tv.html

"dotkid" <jim03spam@spamdotjim.net> wrote in message
> Thanks for sharing. You are very generous.
>
> I'm a little slow, so could you send the complete html for the whole
> page?
>
> Thanks
>
> dk
>

> (remove spam)

Hmmm why not have a look at a page that is streaming with the windows media
encode?

Anyway.. here is all the needed code.

Make sure you change the webcam_IP_stream:port (2 times). Without it, it
will not work

"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
<head>
<TITLE>Video Stream.</TITLE>
<h1>Make sure you change the webcam_IP_stream:port info (2 times)</ h1)
<object id="NSPlay"
width="336"
height="280"
classid="CLSID:22D6F312-B0F6-11D0-94AB-0080C74C7E95"
codebase="http://activex.microsoft.com/activex/controls/mplayer/en/nsmp2inf.cab#Version=5,1,52,701"
standby="Loading Microsoft Windows Media Player components..."
type="application/x-oleobject">
<param name="FileName" value="mms://webcam_IP_stream:port">
<param name="ShowControls" value="0">
<param name="ShowDisplay" value="0">
<param name="ShowStatusBar" value="1">
<param name="AutoSize" value="0">
<embed width = "336" height = "280"
type="application/x-mplayer2"
pluginspage="http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/Downloads/Contents/Products/MediaPlayer/"
filename="mms://webcam_IP_stream:port"
showcontrols="0"
showdisplay="0"
showstatusbar="1"
autosize="0">
</embed>
</object>

Noël

--
http://webcam.kijk.info
http://www.resize2mail.com

"dotkid" <jim03spam@spamdotjim.net> wrote in message
> Thanks for sharing. You are very generous.
>
> I'm a little slow, so could you send the complete html for the whole
> page?
>
> Thanks
>
> dk
>

> (remove spam)

Err..

There was a small error in the last message. This one is ok.

"Noël®" <n03l@h-o-t-m-a-i-l.com> wrote in message

> http://webcam.kijk.info
> http://www.resize2mail.com

If I click the top link above, it opens a new window in IE then it locks up
IE completely, it just freezes, I've noticed this with other multimedia
content but only certain ones, don't suppose you've any ideas have you? OS
is XP SP2 and all updates are installed as is the latest Sun Java. Any help
or advice appreciated. for reference, another one that causes the lockups is
this http://www.compfused.com/directlink/642/ In fact any of the videos on
compfused.com causes the freeze. This one is driving me mad.

TIA

Dion L Heap
www.thetophouse.com

"Dion L Heap" <NoSpam@ThankYou.Com> wrote in message

> "Noël®" <n03l@h-o-t-m-a-i-l.com> wrote in message
>>
>> http://webcam.kijk.info
>> http://www.resize2mail.com
>

> If I click the top link above, it opens a new window in IE then it locks
> up IE completely, it just freezes, I've noticed this with other multimedia
> content but only certain ones, don't suppose you've any ideas have you?
> OS is XP SP2 and all updates are installed as is the latest Sun Java. Any
> help or advice appreciated. for reference, another one that causes the
> lockups is this http://www.compfused.com/directlink/642/ In fact any of
> the videos on compfused.com causes the freeze. This one is driving me mad.
>
> TIA
>
> Dion L Heap
> www.thetophouse.com

Dion,

I'm not sure why your IE locks up. All I can say is that I am still stream
with the "old" WM7 codec's.

To see if it's IE, or your Windows Media Player you can try the following.

Open Windows Media Player. Select "File" > "Open URL..." and enter
mms://webcam.kijk.info/webcam
If your Media Player does not crash than I guess that it's okay, and that
the problem is within IE itself.

When you say "it locks up" does it actually close IE, or do you need to
shutdown IE the hard way?
What version of the Windows Media Player are you using?

My webcam is only online from 9AM to 9PM (Amsterdam time). If you access it
when it's down it will only stream a small pre-recorded message.

Noël

--

> I'm not sure why your IE locks up. All I can say is that I am still stream
> with the "old" WM7 codec's.
>
> To see if it's IE, or your Windows Media Player you can try the following.
>
> Open Windows Media Player. Select "File" > "Open URL..." and enter
> mms://webcam.kijk.info/webcam
> If your Media Player does not crash than I guess that it's okay, and that
> the problem is within IE itself.

Yep, plays fine that way.

> When you say "it locks up" does it actually close IE, or do you need to
> shutdown IE the hard way?
> What version of the Windows Media Player are you using?

It completely locks IE, the only way to close it is ctrl alt del and end
task, if I click the link, the window opens then thats it, it sits there
with a white screen, it wont close, minimise none of the menus work, the
window wont move, it's a solid lock. I'm using media player 10. But the test
above worked fine. It only does it with some media content, not all, am
thinking now maybe its a file asociation gone awry somewhere. My own webcam
on my site works fine with it, but thats using java, a wmv streaming virtual
tour on my site also works fine. Just cant figure it.

> My webcam is only online from 9AM to 9PM (Amsterdam time). If you access
> it when it's down it will only stream a small pre-recorded message.

My fav city in the world, I'll be over there again in April for a week,
taking my wife this time. Usually stay at the Krasnapolsky on Dam Square but
this time we're in the Amsterdam de roode leuw.

regards,

Dion L Heap
www.thetophouse.com

In article <cvihjr$loc$1@news.cistron.nl>, n03l@h-o-t-m-a-i-l.com
says...

> "dotkid" <jim03spam@spamdotjim.net> wrote in message
> > Thanks for sharing. You are very generous.
> >
> > I'm a little slow, so could you send the complete html for the whole
> > page?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > dk
> >

> > (remove spam)
> >

> Err..
>
> There was a small error in the last message. This one is ok.

Hi mate,

Thanks heaps for sharing the info with us.

Cheers :)

--

Looking for a dream wedding?
http://www.palmcoveweddings.com/

Do you guys notice that MediaEncoder 9 only supports window media player 9
and up.
End-users with older version of MediaPlayer will not play my stream.

"Gerhard Beulke" <palmcove35°@email.com> wrote in message
> In article <cvihjr$loc$1@news.cistron.nl>, n03l@h-o-t-m-a-i-l.com
> says...
>>
>> "dotkid" <jim03spam@spamdotjim.net> wrote in message
>> > Thanks for sharing. You are very generous.
>> >
>> > I'm a little slow, so could you send the complete html for the whole
>> > page?
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> >
>> > dk
>> >

>> > (remove spam)
>> >

>> Err..
>>
>> There was a small error in the last message. This one is ok.
>
> Hi mate,
>
> Thanks heaps for sharing the info with us.
>
> Cheers :)
>

> --
>
> Looking for a dream wedding?
> http://www.palmcoveweddings.com/

"Dion L Heap" <NoSpam@ThankYou.Com> wrote in message

> "Noël®" <n03l@h-o-t-m-a-i-l.com> wrote in message
>>
>> http://webcam.kijk.info
>> http://www.resize2mail.com
>

> If I click the top link above, it opens a new window in IE then it locks
> up IE completely, it just freezes, I've noticed this with other multimedia
> content but only certain ones, don't suppose you've any ideas have you?
> OS is XP SP2 and all updates are installed as is the latest Sun Java. Any
> help or advice appreciated. for reference, another one that causes the
> lockups is this http://www.compfused.com/directlink/642/ In fact any of
> the videos on compfused.com causes the freeze. This one is driving me mad.

Well, a reinstall of XP fixed it, was some sort of corruption somewhere.

regards,

Dion L Heap
www.thetophouse.com