Security Descriptors?

Could someone please explain in simple terms what these are and how
important they are? Reason I ask is that Norton Disk Doctor found errors
here and fixed them after a re-boot.
Have Googled the term but didn't really understand the things I was reading.

--

Kenny
2 answers Last reply

    Hi Kenny,

    <Snip from the article below>

    Phase 3: Checking security descriptors
    During its third pass, CHKDSK displays a message that tells you that
    CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors and, for the third time,
    displays "percent completed," counting from 0 to 100 percent. During
    this phase, CHKDSK examines each security descriptor that is
    associated with files or directories that are on the volume.

    Security descriptors contain information about ownership of a file or
    directory, about NTFS permissions for the file or directory, and about
    auditing for the file or directory. The "percent completed" that
    CHKDSK displays during this phase is the percentage of the volume's
    files and directories that have been checked. CHKDSK verifies that
    each security descriptor structure is well formed and is internally
    consistent. CHKDSK does not verify the actual existence of the users
    or groups that are listed or the appropriateness of the permissions
    that are granted.

    An explanation of the new /C and /I Switches that are available to use
    with Chkdsk.exe
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314835

    You can also search for more information here:
    Symantec Search
    http://www.symantec.com/search/

    --
    Regards,
    Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]

    Kenny wrote:
    > Could someone please explain in simple terms what these
    > are and how important they are? Reason I ask is that
    > Norton Disk Doctor found errors here and fixed them after
    > a re-boot.
    > Have Googled the term but didn't really understand the
    > things I was reading.

    Thanks Bert for the reply.

    --

    Kenny

    "Bert Kinney" <bert@NSmvps.org> wrote in message
    > Hi Kenny,
    >
    > <Snip from the article below>
    >
    > Phase 3: Checking security descriptors
    > During its third pass, CHKDSK displays a message that tells you that
    > CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors and, for the third time,
    > displays "percent completed," counting from 0 to 100 percent. During
    > this phase, CHKDSK examines each security descriptor that is
    > associated with files or directories that are on the volume.
    >
    > Security descriptors contain information about ownership of a file or
    > directory, about NTFS permissions for the file or directory, and about
    > auditing for the file or directory. The "percent completed" that
    > CHKDSK displays during this phase is the percentage of the volume's
    > files and directories that have been checked. CHKDSK verifies that
    > each security descriptor structure is well formed and is internally
    > consistent. CHKDSK does not verify the actual existence of the users
    > or groups that are listed or the appropriateness of the permissions
    > that are granted.
    >
    > An explanation of the new /C and /I Switches that are available to use
    > with Chkdsk.exe
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314835
    >
    > You can also search for more information here:
    > Symantec Search
    > http://www.symantec.com/search/
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    > Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]
    > http://dts-l.org/
    >

    > Kenny wrote:
    > > Could someone please explain in simple terms what these
    > > are and how important they are? Reason I ask is that
    > > Norton Disk Doctor found errors here and fixed them after
    > > a re-boot.
    > > Have Googled the term but didn't really understand the
    > > things I was reading.

Security Microsoft Windows XP