  • Internet Service Providers
Last response: in Network Providers
Share
December 4, 2004 1:08:27 PM

I have paired my BT modem to two devices PDA and BT Dongle on laptop ... but
neither can make a successful connection although the phone displays that it
is dialing. When trying to make a simple HyperTerminal call ... no error
is received but you hear the 3 beeps to what I've heard before voice message
"if you would like to make a call ... " when making a landline call.

TIA for any tips / tricks in getting this to work.

_________
Ann
Motorola V551
iPAQ 4355

More about : bluetooth connection modem

Anonymous
December 4, 2004 7:25:50 PM

In <41b1d359$0$36214$39cecf19@news.twtelecom.net> on Sat, 4 Dec 2004 10:08:27
-0500, "Ann" <nospam@netzero.com> wrote:

>I have paired my BT modem to two devices PDA and BT Dongle on laptop ... but
>neither can make a successful connection although the phone displays that it
>is dialing. When trying to make a simple HyperTerminal call ... no error
>is received but you hear the 3 beeps to what I've heard before voice message
>"if you would like to make a call ... " when making a landline call.
>
>TIA for any tips / tricks in getting this to work.

Sounds like your account isn't provisioned for CSD. Call Customer Care.

December 4, 2004 7:25:51 PM

What does CSD stand for ...

Is this a paid service?

> In <41b1d359$0$36214$39cecf19@news.twtelecom.net> on Sat, 4 Dec 2004
> 10:08:27
> -0500, "Ann" <nospam@netzero.com> wrote:
>
>>I have paired my BT modem to two devices PDA and BT Dongle on laptop ...
>>but
>>neither can make a successful connection although the phone displays that
>>it
>>is dialing. When trying to make a simple HyperTerminal call ... no error
>>is received but you hear the 3 beeps to what I've heard before voice
>>message
>>"if you would like to make a call ... " when making a landline call.
>>
>>TIA for any tips / tricks in getting this to work.
>
> Sounds like your account isn't provisioned for CSD. Call Customer Care.

> John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular&gt;
December 4, 2004 8:12:32 PM

CSD = Circuit Switched Data (effectively dial-up)

There is no charge -- it just has to be provisioned.

p.s. No matter what your personal preference, please don't switch between top
and bottom posting in a given thread -- it's confusing.

In <41b1e93c$0$74187$39cecf19@news.twtelecom.net> on Sat, 4 Dec 2004 11:41:46
-0500, "Ann" <nospam@netzero.com> wrote:

>What does CSD stand for ...
>
>Is this a paid service?

>> In <41b1d359$0$36214$39cecf19@news.twtelecom.net> on Sat, 4 Dec 2004
>> 10:08:27
>> -0500, "Ann" <nospam@netzero.com> wrote:
>>
>>>I have paired my BT modem to two devices PDA and BT Dongle on laptop ...
>>>but
>>>neither can make a successful connection although the phone displays that
>>>it
>>>is dialing. When trying to make a simple HyperTerminal call ... no error
>>>is received but you hear the 3 beeps to what I've heard before voice
>>>message
>>>"if you would like to make a call ... " when making a landline call.
>>>
>>>TIA for any tips / tricks in getting this to work.
>>
>> Sounds like your account isn't provisioned for CSD. Call Customer Care.

December 4, 2004 8:12:33 PM

John ... thanks for your help. I called Cingular customer service and was
told there would be a $3.99 / month charge for CSD which is not what I
expected.

With regards to top or bottom posting ... that is a personal preference and
I prefer to top post as it is a waste of my time to scroll down to read
through the garbage to find the current post.

Again ... not trying to start a flame war but it is a personal preference
and not a standard.

> CSD = Circuit Switched Data (effectively dial-up)
>
> There is no charge -- it just has to be provisioned.
>
> p.s. No matter what your personal preference, please don't switch between
> top
> and bottom posting in a given thread -- it's confusing.
>
> In <41b1e93c$0$74187$39cecf19@news.twtelecom.net> on Sat, 4 Dec 2004
> 11:41:46
> -0500, "Ann" <nospam@netzero.com> wrote:
>
>>What does CSD stand for ...
>>
>>Is this a paid service?
>>
>>"John Navas" <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> In <41b1d359$0$36214$39cecf19@news.twtelecom.net> on Sat, 4 Dec 2004
>>> 10:08:27

>>> Sounds like your account isn't provisioned for CSD. Call Customer Care.

> John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular&gt;
Anonymous
December 4, 2004 8:45:09 PM

On Sat, 4 Dec 2004 10:08:27 -0500, "Ann" <nospam@netzero.com> wrote:

>I have paired my BT modem to two devices PDA and BT Dongle on laptop ... but
>neither can make a successful connection although the phone displays that it
>is dialing. When trying to make a simple HyperTerminal call ... no error
>is received but you hear the 3 beeps to what I've heard before voice message
>"if you would like to make a call ... " when making a landline call.
>
>TIA for any tips / tricks in getting this to work.
>
>_________
>Ann
>Motorola V551
>iPAQ 4355

Ann,
I saw J. Navas' response---you were asking about CSD. That's Circuit
Switched Data which is really slow, like 9600 baud.

You should use Windows DUN, Dial Up Networking and GPRS [or the faster
EDGE--not avail in all areas] on your V551. I'm surprised that J.
Navas didn't suggest that as a solution, since he recently posted some
results about V551 BT speeds in this group

I have a V600 with Bluetooth (BT) and have tried it, but ran into
problems getting it running with my laptop. In my case, my account has
the 20mb data option, so you'd want to make certain that your account
is provisioned for that.

As to the laptop, (mine is running XP) and you can go into control
panel and add it as a modem--modem settings. For GPRS, you'd need to
put the dial code of *99***1#. That should be Cingular's Express
setting (which goes over GPRS). There are a few more settings on the
handset, i.e., you need to either save a new setting or modify
express, change the APN from WAP@CINGULAR to ISP@CINGULAR and then
you'll need to modify the User id or name--again, from WAP to ISP but
note that the user name has an additional character string at end
indicating GPRS and dot com. it should then be ISP@CINGULARGPRS.COM

I don't know what all the settings should be when it comes to
authentication with the Radius server and stuff.

John can you help us with those settings since you already ran the 551
with BT?

Can some other folks out there tell us how you're able to connect
using a laptop [or desktop] for that matter with BT and any BT cell
phone?

Zeng
December 4, 2004 8:45:10 PM

Thanks for your reply.

I have DSL service at home but was wanting to use my mobile phone while
traveling for ISP connection and also as my fax modem while at home. In
addition I have no desire to pay Cingular the additional fee they mentioned
when I called earlier today so I suppose I will forgo funtionality for now
.... since I have other means to accomplish my goal.

"Zeng" <nospam@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> On Sat, 4 Dec 2004 10:08:27 -0500, "Ann" <nospam@netzero.com> wrote:
>
>>I have paired my BT modem to two devices PDA and BT Dongle on laptop ...
>>but
>>neither can make a successful connection although the phone displays that
>>it
>>is dialing. When trying to make a simple HyperTerminal call ... no error
>>is received but you hear the 3 beeps to what I've heard before voice
>>message
>>"if you would like to make a call ... " when making a landline call.
>>
>>TIA for any tips / tricks in getting this to work.
>>
>>_________
>>Ann
>>Motorola V551
>>iPAQ 4355
>>
> Ann,
> I saw J. Navas' response---you were asking about CSD. That's Circuit
> Switched Data which is really slow, like 9600 baud.
>
> You should use Windows DUN, Dial Up Networking and GPRS [or the faster
> EDGE--not avail in all areas] on your V551. I'm surprised that J.
> Navas didn't suggest that as a solution, since he recently posted some
> results about V551 BT speeds in this group
>
> I have a V600 with Bluetooth (BT) and have tried it, but ran into
> problems getting it running with my laptop. In my case, my account has
> the 20mb data option, so you'd want to make certain that your account
> is provisioned for that.
>
> As to the laptop, (mine is running XP) and you can go into control
> panel and add it as a modem--modem settings. For GPRS, you'd need to
> put the dial code of *99***1#. That should be Cingular's Express
> setting (which goes over GPRS). There are a few more settings on the
> handset, i.e., you need to either save a new setting or modify
> express, change the APN from WAP@CINGULAR to ISP@CINGULAR and then
> you'll need to modify the User id or name--again, from WAP to ISP but
> note that the user name has an additional character string at end
> indicating GPRS and dot com. it should then be ISP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
>
> I don't know what all the settings should be when it comes to
> authentication with the Radius server and stuff.
>
> John can you help us with those settings since you already ran the 551
> with BT?
>
> Can some other folks out there tell us how you're able to connect
> using a laptop [or desktop] for that matter with BT and any BT cell
> phone?
>
> Zeng
Anonymous
December 4, 2004 9:09:27 PM

In <8581r0t43cr0ba3tuqq71jcr1hgefobdl7@4ax.com> on Sat, 04 Dec 2004 17:45:09
GMT, Zeng <nospam@nowhere.com> wrote:

>Ann,
>I saw J. Navas' response---you were asking about CSD. That's Circuit
>Switched Data which is really slow, like 9600 baud.
>
>You should use Windows DUN, Dial Up Networking and GPRS [or the faster
>EDGE--not avail in all areas] on your V551. I'm surprised that J.
>Navas didn't suggest that as a solution, since he recently posted some
>results about V551 BT speeds in this group

Some people prefer to use CSD and thus minutes, instead of paying for
GPRS/EDGE, particularly on Nights & Weekends, when CSD data can essentially be
free.

>John can you help us with those settings since you already ran the 551
>with BT?

See my webpages below.

>Can some other folks out there tell us how you're able to connect
>using a laptop [or desktop] for that matter with BT and any BT cell
>phone?

Just pair the phone with Bluetooth, and use the virtual serial port for the
connection.

December 4, 2004 10:38:53 PM

In <41b206de$0$74189$39cecf19@news.twtelecom.net> on Sat, 4 Dec 2004 13:48:17
-0500, "Ann" <nospam@netzero.com> wrote:

>John ... thanks for your help. I called Cingular customer service and was
>told there would be a $3.99 / month charge for CSD which is not what I
>expected.

CSD is included with a data plan, any data plan. $3.99 is simply the cheapest
data plan.

>With regards to top or bottom posting ... that is a personal preference and
>I prefer to top post as it is a waste of my time to scroll down to read
>through the garbage to find the current post.

Be that as it may, it's confusing (some would say rude) to switch posting
styles in mid-thread.

>Again ... not trying to start a flame war but it is a personal preference
>and not a standard.

See Q7 of "Quoting Style in Newsgroup Postings"
<http://web.presby.edu/~nnqadmin/nnq/nquote.html&gt; (published by the
news.newusers.questions Moderation Board).

>> CSD = Circuit Switched Data (effectively dial-up)
>>
>> There is no charge -- it just has to be provisioned.
>>
>> p.s. No matter what your personal preference, please don't switch between
>> top
>> and bottom posting in a given thread -- it's confusing.
>>
>> In <41b1e93c$0$74187$39cecf19@news.twtelecom.net> on Sat, 4 Dec 2004
>> 11:41:46
>> -0500, "Ann" <nospam@netzero.com> wrote:
>>
>>>What does CSD stand for ...
>>>
>>>Is this a paid service?
>>>
>>>"John Navas" <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote in message

>> --
>> Best regards, HELP FOR CINGULAR GSM & SONY ERICSSON PHONES:
>> John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular&gt;

December 4, 2004 10:39:44 PM

In <41b207cc$0$74187$39cecf19@news.twtelecom.net> on Sat, 4 Dec 2004 13:52:14
-0500, "Ann" <nospam@netzero.com> wrote:

>I have DSL service at home but was wanting to use my mobile phone while
>traveling for ISP connection and also as my fax modem while at home. ...

FYI, you can fax easily and cheaply over the Internet.

December 5, 2004 12:12:36 AM

On Sat, 4 Dec 2004 11:41:46 -0500, "Ann" <nospam@netzero.com> wrote:

>What does CSD stand for ...
>
>Is this a paid service?

Circuit Switched Data. It uses your plan voice minutes. It's the
cellular equivalent to dialup and usually only provides 9600 bps. OK
for mail, but not much more than that.

December 5, 2004 1:21:35 AM

Ann wrote:

> With regards to top or bottom posting ... that is a personal preference and
> I prefer to top post as it is a waste of my time to scroll down to read
> through the garbage to find the current post.
>
> Again ... not trying to start a flame war but it is a personal preference
> and not a standard.

Yes and no...

http://ietf.org/rfc/rfc1855.txt?number=1855

Not that folks follow this much any more.
December 6, 2004 12:33:12 AM

Tops up
Ann
Motorola V551