kugi

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
OK, i cannot get the keyboard to working during boot up to enter the BIOS. In windows, when i hook up my phone to the keyboard via USB. Says not enough power.

SO is the G15 eating up too much power??

If so, is there a 2 to 1 usb cable. hooking up 2 USBs to the keyboard to get more power??

mobo msi 975x

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
not... enough... information.

The G15 does use more power than any other keyboard I know but as to whether your system can handle it or not... list all the rest of the computer components that draw power.. and especially the psu.

kugi

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
not... enough... information.

The G15 does use more power than any other keyboard I know but as to whether your system can handle it or not... list all the rest of the computer components that draw power.. and especially the psu.

cpu: intel c2d e6600
mobo: msi 975x
ram: 4 gigs (4x1)
sound card: yes
video card: ati radeon x1950xtx
PSU: 550 watts sli/crossfire ready
HDD: 2
dvd burner: yes

The G15 does work with my other two computers. Old keyboard broken, so i have no ps2 keyboard for this computer, one computer i am about to sell but no keyboard for it, and the 3rd computer is a Dell, which is kinda hard to get to.

eric54

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
Enable usb ports in your BIOS. Enable keyboard use over USB in the BIOS. Make sure you are using the powered usb ports on the back of you case. If you have the motherboard manual you can see if there are any specific port they recommend. If the peripheral you are connecting requries additional power it likely will not work. The ports in a external usb hub, like that in the G-15 as you describe, are very likely not powered. You will have to connect whatever it is you are connecting to the computer directly. If you are using the usb port on the keyboard to charge the phone than you will run into your problem. And lastly, there a jumper setting to power the USB ports from your mobo and you may have to set the jumper to provide power to the ports. Thats all I can think of in a nutshell. Please let me know if this has helped.

kugi

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
Enable usb ports in your BIOS. Enable keyboard use over USB in the BIOS. Make sure you are using the powered usb ports on the back of you case. If you have the motherboard manual you can see if there are any specific port they recommend. If the peripheral you are connecting requries additional power it likely will not work. The ports in a external usb hub, like that in the G-15 as you describe, are very likely not powered. You will have to connect whatever it is you are connecting to the computer directly. If you are using the usb port on the keyboard to charge the phone than you will run into your problem. And lastly, there a jumper setting to power the USB ports from your mobo and you may have to set the jumper to provide power to the ports. Thats all I can think of in a nutshell. Please let me know if this has helped.

pins dont exist on this mobo 8O

tyr86

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2005
I have a G15 and had the same problem when I initially got it. Like the above poster said, turn on your USB keyboard/devices in BIOS. Use your old PS/2 keyboard, which I assume you didn't toss, yet :roll: then you should be good to go on that end. When WinXP tells you you don't have enough power for the keyboard, it's because you're trying to daisy chain too much crap off of the USB port from your G15. Only plug in simple things like your mouse or usb memory key, etc. They should have put more power into the damn thing or something, and made the USB 1.1, but that's besides the point.

This should get you all set. Also, make sure you download the latest and greatest drivers for it.

kugi

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
I have a G15 and had the same problem when I initially got it. Like the above poster said, turn on your USB keyboard/devices in BIOS. Use your old PS/2 keyboard, which I assume you didn't toss, yet :roll: then you should be good to go on that end. When WinXP tells you you don't have enough power for the keyboard, it's because you're trying to daisy chain too much crap off of the USB port from your G15. Only plug in simple things like your mouse or usb memory key, etc. They should have put more power into the damn thing or something, and made the USB 1.1, but that's besides the point.

This should get you all set. Also, make sure you download the latest and greatest drivers for it.

I dont have problems in Windows, its the BIOS. there is no legacy support option.

http://www.msi.com.tw/program/support/manual/mnu/spt_mnu_detail.php?UID=746&kind=1

the pdf of the manual.

TkdRO

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
I am about to pickup one of these keyboards. Is it any good? Does it worth the hefty price tag?

Its alright, I like how it shows your cpu/ram usage. But when I play W.O.W I say's profile activated, however doesn't show anything to do with warcraft when playing the game.
I thought its suppposed to have native support for it.

Kind of useless to me now, except for the cpu/ram usage. I learned I need more RAM..LOL

Stewartwi

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2006
Its alright, I like how it shows your cpu/ram usage. But when I play W.O.W I say's profile activated, however doesn't show anything to do with warcraft when playing the game.
I thought its suppposed to have native support for it.

Try pressing your cycle through button till you get to the actual WoW option. I know on my G15 keyboard it shows my stats and crit chance and all kinds of neat stuff.

Also Battlefield 2142 added some features for the G15 not sure about BF2 though will have to check that out.

bruce555

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2006
Also running fraps is good with it. I actually really like mine and thought it was worth it. I don't know what I would do if I had to go back to a normal keyboard without the back lit keys. I play in the dark way too much.

krisz

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
Also running fraps is good with it. I actually really like mine and thought it was worth it. I don't know what I would do if I had to go back to a normal keyboard without the back lit keys. I play in the dark way too much.

I play in the dark al the time as well. Thats the only time of the day when i have time to play. :)

Weirdo0815

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2006
I've owned a G15 for about 10 months now and it has never had many problems. I've only once used the USB's on the keyboard though. I originally had problems getting BIOS to allow me to use the board during boot up but a quick change to PS/2 (or is it P/S2? I cant remember) keyboard and changing the setting to allow Legacy USB Keyboard/Mouse use solved that. If your BIOS doesnt support it, maybe look around for a different BIOS version that might have it.

My friends and family laughed when I told them I bought a mouse (G7) and a keyboard for $150 (that was combined, $75 a piece), I got them off newegg, but after my friends and family used it, they all wanted one. Sure, spending that much on a keyboard is hard to justify but I've never looked back after I got mine working.

I find the keys are a bit on the loud side for a keyboard but they are smooth and solid feeling. The back-lit function is also extremely nice for those who play in dark rooms (like me); they are lit enough to be visible but not so bright that it distracts.

The LCD display does work with multiple games but has recently stopped working with WoW; I think a patch broke it.

To a note to the person who said that it reads the World of Warcraft Profile Active but still does not show the Game stats like Blizzard says it should, that message on the LCD doesn't have anything to do with receiving data from the game it's self. The profile-er program for the G15 detects which executable is in the foreground and then brings up that profile. I'll have to check with my two friends who have the G15 and play WoW to see if their's are working.

There is a very nice little program that allows you to program what you see on the LCD called LCD Studio. You can download it at www.lcdstudio.com. You can then program multiple pages of info from various things. If you have an ATI video card, you can even watch the temps, clock speeds and so on of the card. It also reads track/artist/album info from things like Windows Media Player, iTunes and WinAmp. If you have fraps installed too, it will display the FPS.

One thing I'd like to mention about it is the G-Keys. These things save my life on WoW and others. Instead of hitting two or even three key's at once to launch a specific move, or moving the mouse there on screen, I just tap one button and it does it all for me. They are completely programmable for any executable on a computer. I even have a profile setup for when I use Photoshop and Word. You can also program them on the fly, in the middle of a game, but I've never really liked doing that, I try to run all my games in Borderless Windowed mode so I can Alt-Tab out to adjust things and that. Either way, the G-Keys are one of my favorite parts of the keyboard.

And finally, the lay-out of the board... Before I got the G15 and G7, I was using a Logitech MX500 (or something like that) wireless Keyboard/Mouse combo. There was always one thing that bugged me to death with that keyboard, and still bothers me with other new keyboards. They re-arrange the Insert, Delete, Home, End, Page Up, and Page Down keys to be instead of 2 rows and 3 colomns to 3 rows and 2 columns. The delete button was stretched vertically to take up two button spots. By doing that, they removed one of the 6 keys and moved it to another spot on the board (I cant remember what key now though). That layout is just different enough to bug me when I went from a full sized, REAL keyboard at work to that at home. The G15 does not have that stupid layout, it has the REAL 2x3 button setup, not the 3x2; It has the layout that has been the QWERTY layout since the beginning of keyboards! Or atleast since I started using keyboards.

One of these days, Logitech is going to release their G11 Keyboard. That is the G15 but without the LCD screen. It should be about $20 or so cheaper so you could just wait for that if you dont want to spend THAT much on a G15.

In one short phrase to sum it up, I think the G15 is worth every penny ;)

hball

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2006
I feel the G15 keyboard is worth the money. I use the LCD to display Ventrilo so I can see who is speaking. My clan is so large that I cannot always tell who is talking just by their voice and the LCD display helps out a lot.

hball

U238

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2006
That was a ton of great info... I'd been on the fence about getting that keyboard but it sounds like something I'd really like to have. Thanks for taking the time to write that up.

krisz

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
That was a ton of great info... I'd been on the fence about getting that keyboard but it sounds like something I'd really like to have. Thanks for taking the time to write that up.

Thats is why these forums are much better than reviews in the magazines because you never know how much the company paid to the magazine to give a good review about a product that actually sux. On the forum real people give real reviews about products and you know what you get when you dish out the cash for something like this keyboard.

Thank you guys again. This is awesome.

krisz

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
I am having some problems with lcdstudio on the G15 keyboard.
After i start LCD Studio it shows me the splash screen but after that nothing else. If i start winamp it does not show me the screens what on the website. I only get the logitech stuff to run on the LCD.

Does anyone know what i have to do to enable the lcdstudion on the G15 keyboard?
If i go into the settings of the keyboard in windows it says lcdstudio is running on the keyboard

krisz

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
Also i was wondering if theres a better application to run on my G15 than lcdstudio. I also noticed a major slowdown in running Winamp and some other online applications.

cdonato

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
I've had similar issues with flash drives & the like on the G15. Its mostly because I've got all the ports used on the mobo so the extra power to the keyboard it doesn't like all that much.

If your mobo doesn't have support for native usb keyboards you'll have trouble, especially since you wont be able to get int othe bios to make changes.

I just wish more games were making updates to include support for the LCD.