Weekend Strategies at e-tailers (Mainly Zip Zoom Fly)

krazynutz

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
This will only ever help for a few bucks, but hey, savings are savings.

This probably won't work during the week, but if you order from an e-tailer on the weekend (excluding NewEgg since they seem to work 24/7)....read on...

If you have a small order (5 or fewer parts) ORDER THEM SEPARATELY if it doesn't ultimately add to shipping costs- even if it's from the same site. With prices changing daily/weekly, you'll thank me for this advice. Here's why:

Say you order a CPU, Mobo, PSU, and RAM all on the same order on saturday, only to find out that the prices went down on the mobo and ram but went up on the CPU and PSU on monday morning. Well, if you can still cancel your order, you have to cancel all four items at once and reorder - saving on the mobo and ram but losing on the CPU and PSU. BUT, if you keep them in separate orders, you can cancel the ones that went down in price and reorder at the lower prices while staying with your original orders on the items that go up so, ultimately, you can save $$.

Hope this helps this holiday season and for many weekend orders to come!

I'm sure this might be old news to most, but some newbies might find it useful. Happy Holidays!

rwaritsdario

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
I think you would be spending more on separate shipping costs, unless you get lucky and theres a rebate within 3 days of your order, in such case you would be only getting back what you spent on shipping...

krazynutz

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
Like I said, it's only a good idea if it doesn't raise the total shipping costs. ZipZoomFly offers a flat 2-day shipping cost of $4 (for the TOTAL order) on most parts and free ground shipping. In that case, four orders or one order would be the same on shipping.

DrBlofeld

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2006
This will only ever help for a few bucks, but hey, savings are savings.

This probably won't work during the week, but if you order from an e-tailer on the weekend (excluding NewEgg since they seem to work 24/7)....read on...

If you have a small order (5 or fewer parts) ORDER THEM SEPARATELY if it doesn't ultimately add to shipping costs- even if it's from the same site. With prices changing daily/weekly, you'll thank me for this advice. Here's why:

Say you order a CPU, Mobo, PSU, and RAM all on the same order on saturday, only to find out that the prices went down on the mobo and ram but went up on the CPU and PSU on monday morning. Well, if you can still cancel your order, you have to cancel all four items at once and reorder - saving on the mobo and ram but losing on the CPU and PSU. BUT, if you keep them in separate orders, you can cancel the ones that went down in price and reorder at the lower prices while staying with your original orders on the items that go up so, ultimately, you can save $$.

Hope this helps this holiday season and for many weekend orders to come!

I'm sure this might be old news to most, but some newbies might find it useful. Happy Holidays!

BAD IDEA

Like the previosu posters said. This doesn't apply to most any store. On top of that prices are unlikely to change in 2 days. It's not worth the effort. Let me guess, you're in highschool?

krazynutz

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
BAD IDEA

Like the previosu posters said. This doesn't apply to most any store. On top of that prices are unlikely to change in 2 days. It's not worth the effort. Let me guess, you're in highschool?

Where the hell do you get off making such an asinine accusation? Lemme guess, you speak/type before you think? FYI, I'm well out of high school with two degrees. The reason I even posted my suggestion is because I recently checked on a pending order of mine to see prices fluctuate + $5 or more on monday and it's not the first time I've seen prices jump in ONE DAY. So, again, to REITERATE my initial suggestion: IF IT DOESN'T DRIVE UP THE TOTAL COST OF SHIPPING, order the items seperately in case prices fluctuate before you reach the point of no return. It's friendly help for the situations where it's useful. Your flame is immature and uneducated. Just like your grammer. Did you even graduate high school?

mapex

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2005
it's a decent idea, but like other poster's have said, shipping costs would go up, and honestly, when I order stuff, it goes out too quickly for me to cancel the order. If I order something from newegg, just with regular ground shipping, after hours, it's in my town the next day and delivered the day after that. Might be good on something that is backordered or with a company that doesn't work as fast but if it's just a couple bucks difference I wouldn't worry too much about it, but then again I'm pretty impatient so I wouldn't want to wait another day for them to process my order and ship. :D

krazynutz

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
well, it's good to see some reasonable responses. Yeah, I know the strategy is a limited one, but I was just out here giving a head's up to those people where it might work out for them. For instance, it would have worked out for me this past weekend. Hence the reason for my post. Newegg is just rediculously fast on their processing (even on the weekends) and that's why I discluded them from the get-go. Well, good luck to anyone who this will work out for and keep in mind that it's really a WEEKEND strategy. It's the only time orders will take a little longer to process than normal and let the opportunity arise - especially that I've seen prices jump the most on mondays. A lot of people order from ZZF so even if it only works there, I'm sure it can affect a decent amount of orders. Anyway, Happy shopping and Happy Holidays everyone!

krazynutz

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
That can be $5 PER ITEM so if everything drops, it could be $20+. That's like saying taking a few minutes to shop around to save $$ isn't worth it. Dude, what's your deal? You just float around on here flaming people? I'm simply trying to help. Why you feel so high and mighty and the need to be a blatent naysayer is beyond me. Were you neglected as a child? Go waste yours and everyone else's time somewhere else.

Anyway, the head's up is there for whoever wants to use the strategy and save $$ doing it. I'm done with this thread.

TRENDING THREADS