No Sound

I have seen several posts regarding this problem but havent found a solution
mentioned anywhere.
Since changing from windows-xp to win-2000 (prof) audio device stopped
functioning. The properties page for Sounds and Audio shows 'No audio
device'. The device manager for PCI audio and multimedia says 'The drivers
for this device are not installed. (Code 28)'. When I try to reinstall or
upgrade drives, windows does not find a suitable driver.
I have the same problem with another computer upgraded to win-2003 server.

If anyone knows the solution, please help.

--
kr
NR

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:3433812B-0D5D-4EE1-9DF9-6F25882DC50B@microsoft.com,
NR500 <NR500@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> I have seen several posts regarding this problem but havent found a
> solution mentioned anywhere.
> Since changing from windows-xp to win-2000 (prof) audio device stopped
> functioning. The properties page for Sounds and Audio shows 'No audio
> device'. The device manager for PCI audio and multimedia says 'The
> drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)'. When I try to
> reinstall or upgrade drives, windows does not find a suitable driver.
> I have the same problem with another computer upgraded to win-2003
> server.
>
> If anyone knows the solution, please help.

Do you have the correct drivers? Win2k (nor XP) doesn't have all drivers
ever made and you may very well require drivers from the manufacturer. One
of the reasons I prefer XP over 2k is the ease of installation where drivers
are concerned. 2k3 might not have the drivers either and the same question
applies. What were the drivers in XP? Did you go the manufacturer's site and
get OS specific drivers for the device?

Galen

Thanks Galen,
I will search for proper driver in XP and Creative sites. I thought it may
be due to clash of IRQ or some setup problem.
NR

"Galen" wrote:

> In news:3433812B-0D5D-4EE1-9DF9-6F25882DC50B@microsoft.com,
> NR500 <NR500@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> > I have seen several posts regarding this problem but havent found a
> > solution mentioned anywhere.
> > Since changing from windows-xp to win-2000 (prof) audio device stopped
> > functioning. The properties page for Sounds and Audio shows 'No audio
> > device'. The device manager for PCI audio and multimedia says 'The
> > drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)'. When I try to
> > reinstall or upgrade drives, windows does not find a suitable driver.
> > I have the same problem with another computer upgraded to win-2003
> > server.
> >
> > If anyone knows the solution, please help.
>
> Do you have the correct drivers? Win2k (nor XP) doesn't have all drivers
> ever made and you may very well require drivers from the manufacturer. One
> of the reasons I prefer XP over 2k is the ease of installation where drivers
> are concerned. 2k3 might not have the drivers either and the same question
> applies. What were the drivers in XP? Did you go the manufacturer's site and
> get OS specific drivers for the device?
>
> Galen
> --
> Signature changed for a moment of silence.
> Rest well Alex and we'll see you on the other side.

dl

You should use drivers from manu site only, avoid winupdate drivers - can be
problomatic

"NR500" <NR500@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks Galen,
> I will search for proper driver in XP and Creative sites. I thought it may
> be due to clash of IRQ or some setup problem.
> NR
>
> "Galen" wrote:
>
> > In news:3433812B-0D5D-4EE1-9DF9-6F25882DC50B@microsoft.com,
> > NR500 <NR500@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:
> >
> > My reply is at the bottom of your sent message:
> >
> > > I have seen several posts regarding this problem but havent found a
> > > solution mentioned anywhere.
> > > Since changing from windows-xp to win-2000 (prof) audio device stopped
> > > functioning. The properties page for Sounds and Audio shows 'No audio
> > > device'. The device manager for PCI audio and multimedia says 'The
> > > drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)'. When I try to
> > > reinstall or upgrade drives, windows does not find a suitable driver.
> > > I have the same problem with another computer upgraded to win-2003
> > > server.
> > >
> > > If anyone knows the solution, please help.
> >
> > Do you have the correct drivers? Win2k (nor XP) doesn't have all drivers
> > ever made and you may very well require drivers from the manufacturer.
One
> > of the reasons I prefer XP over 2k is the ease of installation where
drivers
> > are concerned. 2k3 might not have the drivers either and the same
question
> > applies. What were the drivers in XP? Did you go the manufacturer's site
and
> > get OS specific drivers for the device?
> >
> > Galen
> > --
> > Signature changed for a moment of silence.
> > Rest well Alex and we'll see you on the other side.

nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007