Editing Right Click Menu

I tried looking up but couldn't find specifically what I was looking for...
but, I'm trying to figure out how to edit the menu that appears while in
Explorer [not internet explorer], and I right click a file or folder, etc.

I'm wondering if there's a way to:
-- remove some of the commands there
-- add commands
-- rename commands.

I've seen some stuff pointing me to some reg settings, such as:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers
but I'm not entirely keen on what to do from there.

Although I want to keep it, as an example, under this path is WinZip, so:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\WinZip

but the only thing in that folder is a Default named key with a type of
REG_SZ [not sure what that is], and a data string.

So, if this is the way to go, I'm not sure where I could find what that data
string means; nor how to add something or rename it.

Any help would be great.

If you'd want to email me, please do so at [leave out the x's in the
center... I put them in for spam searches]:

stephanieXXXXXtechs@yahoo.com

thanks!

Well first let me say you can remove the WinZIP entry in the context menus from WinZIP. You would disable the shell settings in Options this is enabled by default.

As for doing something similar to do for all circumstances isn't really as easy as it may seem to be. First you should always check the applications Tools | Options to see if you can do it from there. After that you can check the registry. In this case you could try to search on the phrase you see in the context menu. Avoid the accelerator key part of the phrase. Once found you can save then remove the item in the registry. Check how to back up a registry entry.

If you cannot find it then it is seen from a dll that is registered for that application and in that case I would no longer use the application if the context menu entries are bothersome.

--
George Hester