Ipaq 4700 won't boot-locked up after installing keyboard d..

March 20, 2005 3:22:27 PM

I bought the Thinkoutside Bluetooth Keyboard. I am using it with a
Ipaq 4700. First, I installed the driver on the SD Card. When
booting it said it didn't find 'keyboard'. I believe the driver
didn't install correctly and it was looking for part of the driver.
Then I uninstalled it thinking maybe it has to be in the main memory.
I reinstalled it then installing the driver to main memory. Now when
I boot my ipaq it gets stuck on the HP Ipaq Pocket PC screen where it
has the bar going across as the software is loading and it does
nothing. I don't want to have to do a hard reset since I would then
have to reinstall all programs. I have tried several soft resets as
well as removing the battery for around 5 minutes with no luck so I'm
completely lokced out. I don't understand how the driver could do
this. I thought maybe it's a space issue. It just doens't seem that
HP would make something like this where if you fill memory up you're
locked out with no warning or way to fix it. As well, I had around 12
megs free if I remember right and I don't think the driver would fill
this up. Any ideas of what I can do to fix this?
Anonymous
March 20, 2005 11:30:49 PM

"Mark W" <markwco(removenospam)@comcast.net> wrote in message
| I bought the Thinkoutside Bluetooth Keyboard. I am using it with a
| Ipaq 4700. First, I installed the driver on the SD Card. When
| booting it said it didn't find 'keyboard'. I believe the driver
| didn't install correctly and it was looking for part of the driver.
| Then I uninstalled it thinking maybe it has to be in the main memory.
| I reinstalled it then installing the driver to main memory. Now when
| I boot my ipaq it gets stuck on the HP Ipaq Pocket PC screen where it
| has the bar going across as the software is loading and it does
| nothing. I don't want to have to do a hard reset since I would then
| have to reinstall all programs. I have tried several soft resets as
| well as removing the battery for around 5 minutes with no luck so I'm
| completely lokced out. I don't understand how the driver could do
| this. I thought maybe it's a space issue. It just doens't seem that
| HP would make something like this where if you fill memory up you're
| locked out with no warning or way to fix it. As well, I had around
12
| megs free if I remember right and I don't think the driver would fill
| this up. Any ideas of what I can do to fix this?

You can hard reset your machine, install it to verify it works then
restore from your backup. You'll be back where you are now with the
knowledge of whether the k/b works with your machine.
If it doesn't work then you know you are currently are wasting a lot of
time and effort but are back to where you are now. Maybe the keyboard
is faulty.
If it does work you know at least 2 things- that the keyboard works,
and that if you really want the keyboard you have at least one route to
get it working.
It doesn't mean you have to hard reset, it means you have an option
(even if you don't take it) and the knowledge that the keyboard can
function with your machine.
March 21, 2005 12:36:35 AM

I have the Outside keyboard & mouse (And hx4700). The keyboard works great,
but it does need to be installed in the main memory (Even though it needs to
be set to US, to print all characters correctly). The mouse is a little bit
more random in its function, but when working is brilliant (It needs latest
driver from website, as one on CD will not work). I think you are stuffed
if your PPC will not boot, and a hard reset is the only option.

John

"Mark W" <markwco(removenospam)@comcast.net> wrote in message
>I bought the Thinkoutside Bluetooth Keyboard. I am using it with a
> Ipaq 4700. First, I installed the driver on the SD Card. When
> booting it said it didn't find 'keyboard'. I believe the driver
> didn't install correctly and it was looking for part of the driver.
> Then I uninstalled it thinking maybe it has to be in the main memory.
> I reinstalled it then installing the driver to main memory. Now when
> I boot my ipaq it gets stuck on the HP Ipaq Pocket PC screen where it
> has the bar going across as the software is loading and it does
> nothing. I don't want to have to do a hard reset since I would then
> have to reinstall all programs. I have tried several soft resets as
> well as removing the battery for around 5 minutes with no luck so I'm
> completely lokced out. I don't understand how the driver could do
> this. I thought maybe it's a space issue. It just doens't seem that
> HP would make something like this where if you fill memory up you're
> locked out with no warning or way to fix it. As well, I had around 12
> megs free if I remember right and I don't think the driver would fill
> this up. Any ideas of what I can do to fix this?
Anonymous
March 21, 2005 1:09:40 PM

Do you by any chance have HP ProtectTools enabled? I might have some info
that could help if you do.

--
David Hettel
Microsoft MVP Mobile Devices

This posting is provided "as is" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
You assume all risks for your use.

!