Memory advice for Intel975XBX2 Motherboard

buckwild

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2006
hello all, Im new to this form and currently getting parts together for my first computer build, so sorry ahead of time for the newbie questions, but my question is. Im getting the Intel975XBX2 board and would like to get others advice on what memory would work the best for the board, from reading it seems that going the dual route would be best, but fill free to chime in with any ideas, I was looking at this so far http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2478059&CatId=2261 but honestly in search of the fastest while staying close to the 300 and under range.

-Thanks ahead of time for the help-
-shawn

Mondoman

Splendid
You'll need to list ALL the components of your system. Also, are you planning on overclocking? If not, (assuming you are running a Core2Duo) all you really need is PC2-4200 (DDR2-533) speed memory, running in dual channel mode.

buckwild

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2006
well for the cpu im deciding between the Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 1.86GHz / 2MB Cache / 1066MHz FSB and the Intel Pentium D 830 3.0GHz / 2MB Cache / 800 FSB, realizing that ill have to match the memory to the fsb of the cpu, still not sure which would perform better, i am going to intrested in overclocking in the future though.
thanks for the help so far.

buckwild

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2006
cool, thanks for the reply, ill for sure go with the 1.86 instead of the d, the memory you mentioned seems well too, and not too pricey, im gonna be doing alot of the same as you, as far as photoshop cs2, illustrator and dvd stuff. so thanks for the help, anyone else still fill free to jump in with info.
-shawn

Mondoman

Splendid
...realizing that ill have to match the memory to the fsb of the cpu, ...
Remember that when you are running in dual-channel mode, DDR2-533 matches the C2D FSB at standard speed; even overclocked you probably won't need to go past DDR2-800 or DDR2-850.