Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

PCIe x1: Whats the point?

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
December 19, 2006 6:18:49 AM

Ive been looking over the new motherboards looking for a new computer setup and ive come across an issue I still dont understand.

If you dont know what a PCIe x1 slot is, its the little short slots that always seem out of place on motherboards.

Ive dug around and the only thing that I can find that you can buy for those are network cards, which is pointless cause the motherboards come with dual network built in.

Is this just something that is left over from the old days of computers or does it have application in todays day in age?


With newer computers having 3 PCIe x16 slots for video cards (2 for video and 1 for physics), I dont see many people going for this solution since Nvidia/ATI's version of physics is nothing like Ageias' solution.

With motherboards now, you cant go dual video, wireless NIC, sound card, and physic card.

I can understand if they needed it for older computer systems, but with newer "gaming" system, its kinda pointless IMO.

More about : pcie whats point

December 19, 2006 7:13:34 AM

yeah theyre pretty worthless. the whole expansion slots on boards is pretty outdated now that motherboards have so much integrated onto them. so that leaves not much left for a PCI-e x1 and x4. true, there is still need for sound cards, but i dont think anyone has made a sound card for PCI-e yet. ive seen controller cards for PCIe slots.
December 19, 2006 7:29:46 AM

I agree, useless as of now, probably for quite some time.

Funny thing I see very often is reviews saying "Oh no, SLI/CF will not allow you to use the middle PCI-e x1 slot." As if you were going to :p 
Related resources
December 19, 2006 7:37:52 AM

yeah. what sucks is a lot of newer motherboards have all the regular PCI slots in the middle of two PCI x16 slots, which wouldnt let you use any PCI cards if you go SLI. oh well.

tool- i have the same case as you, the super lanboy. do you have your 2 case fans hooked up to fan only connectors on your power supply? if so, do you notice them throttling higher speeds to lower speeds constantly? maybe its just me
December 19, 2006 8:23:33 AM

Quote:
Eventually more items will be made to use PCI-e 1x and 4x slots. The BUS is still new and has primaraly replaced AGP. Eventually as more items like sound cards, Network, Video capture cards, and so on become more availible for these slot they will replace the PCI slots. It may be a couple of years before we see this happen though.


Those slots don´t make much sense for Soundcards. Creative said so when asked about the x1 slots. It seems the bus system of PCI suits them better than the serial interface.
I suppose the x1 and x4 slots should be a dream for Physics cards though. Another shortcomming of Ageia to manufacture only PCI, but they are about to pay their tribute to Mr. Darwin anyway.
Networking and Controller cards should work quite nice too.
December 19, 2006 2:32:35 PM

abit are just launching the world's first x1 PCI-E wireless card & you can already get x1 PCI-E TV cards.
No doubt other x1 devices will follow but the 1 that would be genuinely useful would be a decent soundcard
December 20, 2006 3:59:20 AM

Quote:
Ive been looking over the new motherboards looking for a new computer setup and ive come across an issue I still dont understand.

If you dont know what a PCIe x1 slot is, its the little short slots that always seem out of place on motherboards.

Ive dug around and the only thing that I can find that you can buy for those are network cards, which is pointless cause the motherboards come with dual network built in.

Is this just something that is left over from the old days of computers or does it have application in todays day in age?


With newer computers having 3 PCIe x16 slots for video cards (2 for video and 1 for physics), I dont see many people going for this solution since Nvidia/ATI's version of physics is nothing like Ageias' solution.

With motherboards now, you cant go dual video, wireless NIC, sound card, and physic card.

I can understand if they needed it for older computer systems, but with newer "gaming" system, its kinda pointless IMO.

Whats the point also :roll: for 3 PCI slots.

1 or 2 max would be heaps and it would cause less cluter on MB's.
December 20, 2006 4:49:54 AM

Quote:
Those slots don´t make much sense for Soundcards. Creative said so when asked about the x1 slots. It seems the bus system of PCI suits them better than the serial interface.
I suppose the x1 and x4 slots should be a dream for Physics cards though. Another shortcomming of Ageia to manufacture only PCI, but they are about to pay their tribute to Mr. Darwin anyway.
Networking and Controller cards should work quite nice too.


I think Creative think about profit POV, making PCI only is cheaper than making PCIe and PCI, mass production and R&D things will cost them to make PCIe version. while they know that every body on earth ( at least those who will buy Creative SoundCards ) has PCI, and even if he has PCIe mobo, the mobo will have PCI too...

they will do it later when theres something meaningfull of doing this, loss of PCI, more powerfull chip that require more than PCI ( with other things connecting to it ), or just for enth. with higher price range !!


I hope to find PCIe x1 DTV-S Card or HD Video Capture with MPEG1/2/4 Hadware encoding/decoding ofcourse with reasonable price...
December 20, 2006 12:49:53 PM

Aren't there some video cards that have two PCIe slots, one to power the cooling? If so, I always thought that's what a PCIe would be good for. On my machine the PCIe x1 is right next to the PCIe x16 so it would make sense.
December 20, 2006 1:29:58 PM

I can't agree more.

Have to admit though, when we used to lose a PCI (old type) slot I used to complain about it. Now we lose a PCIe-x1 slot usually and I could care less. I'm glad they mobo makers finally decided to make us lose a useless slot now instead of one that was usable so yah! for the mobo makers wising up lately.
December 20, 2006 5:51:39 PM

Quote:

Whats the point also :roll: for 3 PCI slots.
1 or 2 max would be heaps and it would cause less cluter on MB's.


Well lets take for example the Evga 690i motherboard.

This board has:
Two PCIe x16 (for 2 video cards)
One PCIe (the 3rd video card expansion)
Two PCI (standard slots)
Two PCIe x1 (the "pointless" ones)

Plus the motherboard comes with onboard sound, RAID, dual gigabit.

From what I have found the PCIe x1 supports (note this is not a complete list):
Limited video cards, RAID, SATA & e-SATA, and networking.


The issue I have is "some" people will want SLI. So that only leaves you with 1 PCI and 1 PCIe X1.

So where are you suppost to do with your sound card, physix card, wireless networking, or other goodies (like RAM drives).

The only solutions I can see would be if someone came out with a PCIe x1 for wireless networking or I could use a USB version. The sound card could be ignored since it has onboard sound (they still have to fix that realtec/eax driver issue).

It might be possible to free up another PCI slot if you went to a water cooling system for the GPUs. That would remove the oversized fan, but this is something that would have to be tested with materials onhand.

Plus I dont think that Nvidia's plan for the 3rd PCIe slot is all that impressive. I would be more impressed if that was a PCI slot.

Personaly I enjoy the Physics from Ageia, though almost every video card can render non-gameplay physics, I believe that games will get more advanced then just "fluff" graphics.

Or they can make a new standard with motherboards to allow more slots on a motherboard or start making accessores to fit via a eSATA connection. I guess the next year will hopefully give us something to work with.
December 21, 2006 5:56:41 AM

Quote:
So where are you suppost to do with your sound card, physix card, wireless networking, or other goodies (like RAM drives).

sound card goes on PCI slot, physics card goes in the middle physical x16 slot, abit do a x1 PCI-E wireless card or as you say you could go usb/ethernet connected to a wireless adapter.
December 21, 2006 6:31:40 AM

Quote:
So where are you suppost to do with your sound card, physix card, wireless networking, or other goodies (like RAM drives).

sound card goes on PCI slot, physics card goes in the middle physical x16 slot, abit do a x1 PCI-E wireless card or as you say you could go usb/ethernet connected to a wireless adapter.

Well I have to admit that I never noticed that the Ageia card was keyed to go into a PCI or PCIe slot. I always assumed it would only fit into a PCI slot. My bad.

As for the Abit PCIe wireless card, I saw the product info, but no pricing yet. I would assume $75-$100.

I guess I ranted about nothing.. :oops: 

Well live and learn, but thanks for the info. Learn something new every day.
a b V Motherboard
December 21, 2006 7:27:49 AM

This thread reminds me of a conversation I had years ago about why mobos still came with ISA slots...my how times have changed!!!!
December 21, 2006 7:38:28 AM

For now, PCI slots are cheaper than PCIe x1 ones, and parallel PCI hasn't been phased out.
However, it's only a matter of time before PPCI goes the ISA way; by then, whatever you still need to be pugged on the mobo will have shrunk so much that full-size PCI cards will be pointless, and PCIe x1 will look much more interesting.

While mobos integrate more and more controllers, there is still some pieces of hardware that can't be integrated and where an expansion card still makes sense.
December 23, 2006 1:34:55 AM

Quote:
Well I have to admit that I never noticed that the Ageia card was keyed to go into a PCI or PCIe slot. I always assumed it would only fit into a PCI slot.

I'm guessing that you've looked into this more than I have but I assumed that there would be a PCI-E version at some point.
& I deliberately said physics card to allow for however ATi & nVidia implement physics as well as Ageia ...
!