xp phoning home to MS, why? 207.46.245.220

I installed SP2 and have all updates turned off, including the error
reporting service. I noticed that heavy traffic was still going through my
modem. I used active ports program to find that I was connecting a the
remote IP of 207.46.245.220, which goes back to Microsoft. The complete IP
info is below. Why is Microsoft taking you my dial up connection and slowing
my data transfer down by having my computer phone home? How can I stop this
without uninstalling SP2?

Result for 207.46.245.220
--> /usr/local/bin/fwhois 207.46.245.220@whois.arin.net
[whois.arin.net]

OrgName: Microsoft Corp
OrgID: MSFT
Address: One Microsoft Way
City: Redmond
StateProv: WA
PostalCode: 98052
Country: US

You probably have automatic updating turned on. This enables MS to push
critical updates to your machine in the background. Your machine is polling
the site to see if there are any new downloads. This should not take much
bandwidth and is a pretty good idea.

"Waheeba" <Waheeba@aol.com> wrote in message
>I installed SP2 and have all updates turned off, including the error
>reporting service. I noticed that heavy traffic was still going through my
>modem. I used active ports program to find that I was connecting a the
>remote IP of 207.46.245.220, which goes back to Microsoft. The complete IP
>info is below. Why is Microsoft taking you my dial up connection and
>slowing my data transfer down by having my computer phone home? How can I
>stop this without uninstalling SP2?
>
> Result for 207.46.245.220
> --> /usr/local/bin/fwhois 207.46.245.220@whois.arin.net
> [whois.arin.net]
>
> OrgName: Microsoft Corp
> OrgID: MSFT
> Address: One Microsoft Way
> City: Redmond
> StateProv: WA
> PostalCode: 98052
> Country: US

No, no. I have all updates turned off. Thanks for the assist though.

> You probably have automatic updating turned on. This enables MS to push
> critical updates to your machine in the background. Your machine is
> polling the site to see if there are any new downloads. This should not
> take much bandwidth and is a pretty good idea.

> "Waheeba" <Waheeba@aol.com> wrote in message
>>I installed SP2 and have all updates turned off, including the error
>>reporting service. I noticed that heavy traffic was still going through my
>>modem. I used active ports program to find that I was connecting a the
>>remote IP of 207.46.245.220, which goes back to Microsoft. The complete IP
>>info is below. Why is Microsoft taking you my dial up connection and
>>slowing my data transfer down by having my computer phone home? How can I
>>stop this without uninstalling SP2?
>>
>> Result for 207.46.245.220
>> --> /usr/local/bin/fwhois 207.46.245.220@whois.arin.net
>> [whois.arin.net]
>>
>> OrgName: Microsoft Corp
>> OrgID: MSFT
>> Address: One Microsoft Way
>> City: Redmond
>> StateProv: WA
>> PostalCode: 98052
>> Country: US

Ok all. I turned this off: "Background Intelligent Transfer Service" and the
problem went away.

> No, no. I have all updates turned off. Thanks for the assist though.

>> You probably have automatic updating turned on. This enables MS to push
>> critical updates to your machine in the background. Your machine is
>> polling the site to see if there are any new downloads. This should not
>> take much bandwidth and is a pretty good idea.
>>
>> --
>> "Waheeba" <Waheeba@aol.com> wrote in message
>>>I installed SP2 and have all updates turned off, including the error
>>>reporting service. I noticed that heavy traffic was still going through
>>>my modem. I used active ports program to find that I was connecting a the
>>>remote IP of 207.46.245.220, which goes back to Microsoft. The complete
>>>IP info is below. Why is Microsoft taking you my dial up connection and
>>>slowing my data transfer down by having my computer phone home? How can I
>>>stop this without uninstalling SP2?
>>>
>>> Result for 207.46.245.220
>>> --> /usr/local/bin/fwhois 207.46.245.220@whois.arin.net
>>> [whois.arin.net]
>>>
>>> OrgName: Microsoft Corp
>>> OrgID: MSFT
>>> Address: One Microsoft Way
>>> City: Redmond
>>> StateProv: WA
>>> PostalCode: 98052
>>> Country: US

Manual updates via Windows Update Version 5 web site requires Cryptographic
Services, Background Intelligent Transfer Service, and Event Log to be
running

Tom