Why are experts here?

Usenet help type newsgroups have rescued me many times and I am very
grateful. It is the best support I have ever found anywhere on the net.
I was wondering, do experts get paid for dispensing their advice? Why
do they do it? Is it like an apprenticeship? (Some of us would be lost
without you people helping.)

To my knowledge none of them are paid. Some like to help. Sometimes
they need a bit of help themselves on an issue or two. But can help
with others.

"Frank W." <reply_to_newsgroup@please.ccom> wrote in message
> Usenet help type newsgroups have rescued me many times and I am very
> grateful. It is the best support I have ever found anywhere on the net.
> I was wondering, do experts get paid for dispensing their advice? Why
> do they do it? Is it like an apprenticeship? (Some of us would be lost
> without you people helping.)

Nope, none of us get paid. On the other hand, assisting
other people in this forum is a terrific way at honing one's
trouble-shooting skills. I have also picked up numerous
pieces of knowledge that are not usually found in one
specific place.

Rick

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003

"Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message news:OE3z8HpMFHA.3420@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...

> "Frank W." <reply_to_newsgroup@please.ccom> wrote in message
> > Usenet help type newsgroups have rescued me many times and I am very
> > grateful. It is the best support I have ever found anywhere on the net.
> > I was wondering, do experts get paid for dispensing their advice? Why
> > do they do it? Is it like an apprenticeship? (Some of us would be lost
> > without you people helping.)
>
> Nope, none of us get paid. On the other hand, assisting
> other people in this forum is a terrific way at honing one's
> trouble-shooting skills. I have also picked up numerous
> pieces of knowledge that are not usually found in one
> specific place.

Ditto that. Also, I think a few of us believe free help amounts
to cash deposits into our accounts at the Universal Bank of
Karma. Usenet is a pretty thankless place, but generosity is
rewarded in other ways.

Probably because we at one time had the same type of issues. Since humans are naturally magnanimous we do it. Plus it's a learning expereience for a lot of us and so there you go.

--
George Hester
_________________________________
"Frank W." <reply_to_newsgroup@please.ccom> wrote in message news:3amos6F694htbU1@individual.net...
> Usenet help type newsgroups have rescued me many times and I am very
> grateful. It is the best support I have ever found anywhere on the net.
> I was wondering, do experts get paid for dispensing their advice? Why
> do they do it? Is it like an apprenticeship? (Some of us would be lost
> without you people helping.)

>> Usenet help type newsgroups have rescued me many times and I am very
>> grateful. It is the best support I have ever found anywhere on the
>> net. I was wondering, do experts get paid for dispensing their
>> advice? Why do they do it? Is it like an apprenticeship? (Some of
>> us would be lost without you people helping.)
>>
> Probably because we at one time had the same type of issues. Since
> humans are naturally magnanimous we do it. Plus it's a learning
> expereience for a lot of us and so there you go.

Well it sure is great. Without you people, most of us would be lost
long ago. Or would have to call Microsoft...........shudder.........:)

TRENDING THREADS