What's the highest GHz you can get? Socket 478

chewster77

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
The motherboard i have is an Asus P4C800-E Deluxe.

What is the highest speed you can get for the 478 Socket? I currently have a 2.8E and it seems that these processors have come down in price tremendously and i'm hoping i can get something faster for it faily cheap.

The highest i've seen is 3.4 but i can't find anywhere to purchase it. Newegg and Monarch don't have it.

Any ideas?

chewster77

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
If they don't have the CPU at Newegg or Tiger Dirsect then you may be hard pressed to find it. They havn't made socket 478 P4s in a while. So what you do find has been on the shelf for a while. Your best bet will probably be E-bay. Though there is no gerentee that the CPU will be any good.

Instead of trying to upgrade a much outdated system why not save up for a new build instead?

so was 3.4 the highest they made for socket 478?

i agree with saving money for a new build, i just have too much money into this one, i've got 2x10,000 rpm raptor hd's in raid, 2GB memory, 256mb Radeon 9800XT, P4C800-E Deluxe... I'd hate to part away with all that

chewster77

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
i found a 3.4 prescott that i think will work

the only thing i see is my old processor says "PGA-478 Pkg" and the one i found says 478 pin PPGA

what is the second P in PPGA for? i just want to make sure it will work with my setup

cpudv8.png

hella-d

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
Id Reccomend A Pentium 4 Extreme Edition With 2MB L3 Cache Can Be Had For Round $350.00 On E-Bay Should Do The Job, Id Also Upgrade Your GPU

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
Id Reccomend A Pentium 4 Extreme Edition With 2MB L3 Cache Can Be Had For Round $350.00 On E-Bay Should Do The Job, Id Also Upgrade Your GPU
Don't spend all that money on an EE. You're still left with(what is fast becoming) and outdated system. A 3.4GHz Northwood would be best, and much more affordable....check this out. GL :)

http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=P3.4_800

PS. Don't buy a Northwood P4 from eBay, as it may have been overvolted...and ready to croak from Northwood Sudden Death Syndrome.

quantumsheep

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
The motherboard i have is an Asus P4C800-E Deluxe.

What is the highest speed you can get for the 478 Socket? I currently have a 2.8E and it seems that these processors have come down in price tremendously and i'm hoping i can get something faster for it faily cheap.

The highest i've seen is 3.4 but i can't find anywhere to purchase it. Newegg and Monarch don't have it.

Any ideas?

Try and find the 2.8 Northwood with 400FSB. I have one and with the stock cooler and a case that has pretty bad air flow i managed to get 3.6ghz out of it with the stock cooler! I reckon with better RAM and a case with better airflow and a better cooler i could get 3.8, possibly 4.0 out of it. Brilliant chip which is faster clock for clock than a Prescott.

chewster77

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
Don't spend all that money on an EE. You're still left with(what is fast becoming) and outdated system. A 3.4GHz Northwood would be best, and much more affordable....check this out. GL :)

PS. Don't buy a Northwood P4 from eBay, as it may have been overvolted...and ready to croak from Northwood Sudden Death Syndrome.

funny, i was just on their website, lol

i found this one thou http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?p=3.4E_8001M&c=pw

about $16 more that what you send a link to plus its 1MB Cache

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006

funny, i was just on their website, lol

i found this one thou http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?p=3.4E_8001M&c=pw

about $16 more that what you send a link to plus its 1MB CacheThat's a Prescott. Seriously, you're better to get the Northwood. The Prescott will likely overclock a little higher, but the Northwood performs better/clock and runs ~ 10C cooler @ idle and more at load.

chewster77

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
That's a Prescott. Seriously, you're better to get the Northwood. The Prescott will likely overclock a little higher, but the Northwood performs better/clock and runs ~ 10C cooler @ idle and more at load.

mmm, i don't know much about Cache, i just figured the more the better :D

i won't be overclocking and all i really do is play games like FEAR, Diablo2, Half Life, etc.

so you really think the Northwood is better/faster than the Prescott?

i don't know how cache affects gameplay but if you think i'll be better off with the Northwood i'll take your word for it...

rmicro1

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
Since no one else has mentioned this yet, you have to check your motherboard manual to see what the fastest CPU it can take is. You'll also want to go online to Asus's website, see if there are any BIOS updates and that may add support for more CPU's. But check these first before buying anything faster.
I have an Asus mobo with socket 478 but the fastest CPU it can handle with the newest BIOS is 3.06GHz. It would really suck if you bought a new CPU and couldn't use it.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
That's a Prescott. Seriously, you're better to get the Northwood. The Prescott will likely overclock a little higher, but the Northwood performs better/clock and runs ~ 10C cooler @ idle and more at load.

mmm, i don't know much about Cache, i just figured the more the better :D

i won't be overclocking and all i really do is play games like FEAR, Diablo2, Half Life, etc.

so you really think the Northwood is better/faster than the Prescott?

i don't know how cache affects gameplay but if you think i'll be better off with the Northwood i'll take your word for it...They're fairly close in most apps. The extra cache is to make up for the longer pipelines(Prescott=31, Northwood=20...lower is better). The Prescott will positively run much hotter and will use ~25% more electricity to run. Cooling the Northwood is fairly easy, Prescott needs good HS/F and good case-flow. So, why pay $16 more for a CPU that doesn't perform any better, runs hotter, and uses more electricity? I have the same motherboard as you, and i switch between a Prescott and Northwood. The Prescott also causes the components on your motherboard to run hotter(although this board can handle it).It's your choice. Just don't be reeled in by the extra cache of the Prescott.(That's the only thing it has going for it, and can help slightly in encoding). GL :)

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
Since no one else has mentioned this yet, you have to check your motherboard manual to see what the fastest CPU it can take is. You'll also want to go online to Asus's website, see if there are any BIOS updates and that may add support for more CPU's. But check these first before buying anything faster.
I have an Asus mobo with socket 478 but the fastest CPU it can handle with the newest BIOS is 3.06GHz. It would really suck if you bought a new CPU and couldn't use it.
BIOS won't be a problem. I'm still using an older BIOS on mine, and the board handles 3.4's no problem. If it weren't for the vDroop on this board, it would be the best s478 board going...no contest.

chewster77

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
ok, i'm gonna go with the Northwood

hey, thanks to all of you for posting, you've been a great deal of help and i really appreciate it :D

Happy Holidays!

the_taker

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006
I agree with the others' assessments that it would be better to attempt to upgrade to a new platform. If that is not an option right now, which is true for most people on a budget, then I would agree to get a 3.4 or so P4.

For the record, the highest clocked P4's were 3.8Ghz, but were short-lived as far as how long they were sold by Intel because they just ran too hot.

http://indigo.intel.com/compare_cpu/default.aspx?familyID=1

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
I agree with the others' assessments that it would be better to attempt to upgrade to a new platform. If that is not an option right now, which is true for most people on a budget, then I would agree to get a 3.4 or so P4.

For the record, the highest clocked P4's were 3.8Ghz, but were short-lived as far as how long they were sold by Intel because they just ran too hot.

http://indigo.intel.com/compare_cpu/default.aspx?familyID=1
They were LGA775 though. 3.4E, 3.4C, and 3.4EE were the fastest s478 chips released.

quantumsheep

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
Asus made a 4.8ghz socket 428 p4. Those are on e-bay for $30-$40. That is your best bet.
Smoke another one!! :roll:

I want some of what he's smoking :p

I want to try getting this Northwood to 4ghz (currently at stock volts + cooling with an emachines case @ 3.6), it does seem very possible with a better case, better ram (currently using PC2700 @ 169mhz, FSB is at 130). Just need some spare cash. Saving to get a new QX6700 for my Pentium D system :-\

EDIT!

According to that Intel data base thingie my CPU doesn't exist LOL. 100FSB 2.8ghz FTW!

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
And what's the name of that ASUS board so that we may find it?
s428....a secret publically unreleased mobo socket that automatically overclocks the CPU to twice it's original speed. Only government agencies,and Google get them. :)

quantumsheep

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
And what's the name of that ASUS board so that we may find it?
s428....a secret publically unreleased mobo socket that automatically overclocks the CPU to twice it's original speed. Only government agencies,and Google get them. :)

I wish i was google :(

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

minty

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
Theoretically, for that Asus board he has, he could get a CT-479 Pentium M adapter and a Dothan, then overclock it. In games, this will beat even a P4ee and an Athlon 64 4000+.

http://anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2382&p=12

I'm not sure if that adapter is still available though, or if you really want to spend $250+ on such a setup when you can just buy a Pentium D 805 for $90 and a $140 p965 or 650i board. The real loss here is going from DDR->overpriced DDR2.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
Theoretically, for that Asus board he has, he could get a CT-479 Pentium M adapter and a Dothan, then overclock it. In games, this will beat even a P4ee and an Athlon 64 4000+.

http://anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2382&p=12

I'm not sure if that adapter is still available though, or if you really want to spend $250+ on such a setup when you can just buy a Pentium D 805 for $90 and a $140 p965 or 650i board. The real loss here is going from DDR->overpriced DDR2.
Yeah, the Dothan's are still fetching big bucks....at least in Canada.

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=14944&vpn=BX80536GE1733FJ
&manufacture=Intel :eek:

darious00777

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
eBay

That chip is the last version of that particular model of chip. Should be compatible with your board. $63, not a bad price for maxing out your CPU, I would think. Though it might be hard to get it at that price. Most are going for a bit over $140.