help with new build problem please

triggerhappy

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
hey guys,
just put together a new machine a few days ago and it has a bug i can't seem to figure out. did some searching on google but to no avail.
specs are,
gigabyte ga-965p-ds3
6600 core duo
7950 gx2
700 watt ocz power supply
1 gb skill ram
320 gb w.d sata 2 drive
bios revision f4 (don't want to upgrad bios untill my 2 gig's of corsair ddr2 800 come in the mail in case it does not recognise the gskill ram)
the problem is every time i go to boot the machine the first attempt freezes at the windows xp load screen. when i reset it the second time works fine. i don't think it is the bios as the list of fixes dont say anything about this. I did check the voltages for the power supply and they all seem fine. any ideas? thanks.

Look in the Windows Event Viewer to see if there are any error messages. Use MSCONFIG to boot in Safe mode; does that work?
Can you adjust the voltage on the memory in the BIOS? You may need to force it to 2V for your RAM, but someone else here with a -DS3 could be more specific.

AMDThunder

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2006
Go ahead and flash your bios. I have the S3 board with the latest bios. Recognizes the G. Skill ram no prob. Not sure if it'll fix anything, but worth a shot.