Explorer does not recognize/display drive letter

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
March 27, 2005 6:12:41 PM

I have installed a 250 GB USB hard disk under Windows 2000
Professional SP4.
There are 2 partitions on the disk: 1 Primary (H: 125 GB) and
1 Logical (I: 107,88 GB).
The Primary one (H:)  works w/o any problem.
The Logical one (I:) , however, works only when accessed via
the command level interface i.e. with the usual DOS commands
(DIR, MKDIR, COPY, DEL, ... etc) but is NOT recognised
by Windows Explorer and therefore cannot be used with the
GUI interface.
All application programs - incl. MS's Search and others - using
the CLI work correctly with drive I:, so there is definitely no
addressing problem.
Did anyone else encounter this problem and if so, is there any
way to fix it?
Any help will be much appreciated.
Rolf Erbe.

March 28, 2005 1:37:33 PM

TweakUI hiding the drive letter perhaps?

Rolf Erbe wrote:

> I have installed a 250 GB USB hard disk under Windows 2000
> Professional SP4.
> There are 2 partitions on the disk: 1 Primary (H: 125 GB) and
> 1 Logical (I: 107,88 GB).
> The Primary one (H:)  works w/o any problem.
> The Logical one (I:) , however, works only when accessed via
> the command level interface i.e. with the usual DOS commands
> (DIR, MKDIR, COPY, DEL, ... etc) but is NOT recognised
> by Windows Explorer and therefore cannot be used with the
> GUI interface.
> All application programs - incl. MS's Search and others - using
> the CLI work correctly with drive I:, so there is definitely no
> addressing problem.
> Did anyone else encounter this problem and if so, is there any
> way to fix it?
> Any help will be much appreciated.
> Rolf Erbe.

Anonymous
March 29, 2005 8:21:30 PM

Hi Bob,
hard to believe - but exactly that was it !
Thanks a lot!!
Kind regards Rolf Erbe.

"Bob I" <birelan@yahoo.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> TweakUI hiding the drive letter perhaps?
>
> Rolf Erbe wrote:
>
> > I have installed a 250 GB USB hard disk under Windows 2000
> > Professional SP4.
> > There are 2 partitions on the disk: 1 Primary (H: 125 GB) and
> > 1 Logical (I: 107,88 GB).
> > The Primary one (H:)  works w/o any problem.
> > The Logical one (I:) , however, works only when accessed via
> > the command level interface i.e. with the usual DOS commands
> > (DIR, MKDIR, COPY, DEL, ... etc) but is NOT recognised
> > by Windows Explorer and therefore cannot be used with the
> > GUI interface.
> > All application programs - incl. MS's Search and others - using
> > the CLI work correctly with drive I:, so there is definitely no
> > addressing problem.
> > Did anyone else encounter this problem and if so, is there any
> > way to fix it?
> > Any help will be much appreciated.
> > Rolf Erbe.

Anonymous
March 29, 2005 8:21:31 PM

You're welcome, we try to fit the answer to the symptoms! :-)

!