Connect to XP share from Win 98

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I am stumped. Here is what I have:

Remote lab. All (only 3) computers were replaced with new XP Pro computers.
Computers were joined to the domain locally then sent to the remote lab. The
machines are all set to log on to the local machine (machine\user versus
domain\user). One XP workstation is used as a server for file sharing. Being
logged on to the machine instead of the domain allows the other XP
workstations to access the shared folder.

I have users with Windows 98 laptops that need to jack into the network and
access the shared folders. I am not able to because XP needs a user name as
well as a password. The "NET USE" statement in Windows 98 does not allow for
a user name to be passed, only a password.

Is there any way I can work around this? The remote machines cannot connect
to our domain to verify rights.

I have tried "everyone" full control on the share and NTFS permissions and I
have tried "Anonymous Logon" with full control. Neither helped. I cannot
have the users log on with the domain on the XP machines because they can't
access a domain controller from there.

Suggestions?

Steve Gould wrote:
> I am stumped. Here is what I have:
>
> Remote lab. All (only 3) computers were replaced with new XP Pro computers.
> Computers were joined to the domain locally then sent to the remote lab. The
> machines are all set to log on to the local machine (machine\user versus
> domain\user). One XP workstation is used as a server for file sharing. Being
> logged on to the machine instead of the domain allows the other XP
> workstations to access the shared folder.
>
> I have users with Windows 98 laptops that need to jack into the network and
> access the shared folders. I am not able to because XP needs a user name as
> well as a password. The "NET USE" statement in Windows 98 does not allow for
> a user name to be passed, only a password.
>
> Is there any way I can work around this? The remote machines cannot connect
> to our domain to verify rights.
>
> I have tried "everyone" full control on the share and NTFS permissions and I
> have tried "Anonymous Logon" with full control. Neither helped. I cannot
> have the users log on with the domain on the XP machines because they can't
> access a domain controller from there.
>
> Suggestions?

On all three WinXP computers, create local user account(s), with
non-blank password(s), that have the desired access privileges to the
desired shares. Log on to the other PCs using those account(s), and you
will be able to access the designated shares, provided your network is
configured properly. Also, if running WinXP SP1 or lower, make sure
that WinXP's built-in firewall is disabled on the internal LAN
connection. If using WinXP SP2, make sure that you've either disabled
the built-in firewall, or set the firewall to allow file and print sharing.

Usually, WinXP's Networking Wizard makes it simple and painless --
almost entirely automatic, in fact. There's a lot of useful,
easy-to-follow information in WinXP's Help & Support files, and here:

Home Networking
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/using/howto/homenet/default.asp

Networking Information
http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking.htm

PracticallyNetworked Home
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/index.htm

Steve Winograd's Networking FAQ

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/filesharing.htm
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/troubleshoot/
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/cableguy/cg0204.mspx

--
Jonah
"Steve Gould" <steve.gould(at)apawood.org> wrote in message
>I am stumped. Here is what I have:
>
> Remote lab. All (only 3) computers were replaced with new XP Pro
> computers. Computers were joined to the domain locally then sent to the
> remote lab. The machines are all set to log on to the local machine
> (machine\user versus domain\user). One XP workstation is used as a server
> for file sharing. Being logged on to the machine instead of the domain
> allows the other XP workstations to access the shared folder.
>
> I have users with Windows 98 laptops that need to jack into the network
> and access the shared folders. I am not able to because XP needs a user
> name as well as a password. The "NET USE" statement in Windows 98 does not
> allow for a user name to be passed, only a password.
>
> Is there any way I can work around this? The remote machines cannot
> connect to our domain to verify rights.
>
> I have tried "everyone" full control on the share and NTFS permissions and
> I have tried "Anonymous Logon" with full control. Neither helped. I cannot
> have the users log on with the domain on the XP machines because they
> can't access a domain controller from there.
>
> Suggestions?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Thank you guys for the suggestions, but that doesn't help in this situation.
The XP computers belong to a domain, not a workgroup. When a Win 98 client
tries to connect the error is: "The logon server cannot be found". The Win
98 machines need a DC to pass logon permissions and can't because one
doesn't exist on this network. I have even tried using client and server
VPN, but still the 98 computers won't connect because they need a logon
server. I am beginning to think this isn't going to work.

TRENDING THREADS