login

I have one windows xp machine that can not find the domain controller. I am
sitting at another xp machine and typing this so I do not believe there is a
problem with the domain. If i do an ipconfig/all on the machine that i am
trying to take off a workgroup and add to the domain it comes back wiht the
correct ip address, defaault gateway and dns servers.

Disregard "crouchie1998" You'll likely need to turn off the XP firewall and
bind NetBIOS over tcp/ip to the connection on Windows XP

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"atwork" wrote:
| Thought this was for windows 2000 server EXCUSE ME!

Thanks for the help but XP firewall is not turned on - have a sonicwall
device. How do i bind NetBIOS over tcp/ip to the connection?

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> Disregard "crouchie1998" You'll likely need to turn off the XP firewall and
> bind NetBIOS over tcp/ip to the connection on Windows XP
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "atwork" wrote:
> | Thought this was for windows 2000 server EXCUSE ME!

Control Panel|Network|"connection"|Properties|Internet
Protocol|Properties|Advanced|Wins and radio button for "Enable NetBIOS over
TCP/IP"

--

"atwork" wrote:
| Thanks for the help but XP firewall is not turned on - have a sonicwall
| device. How do i bind NetBIOS over tcp/ip to the connection?

Was afraid of that - Radio button already checked. Thanks for your help, can
you think of anything else to try?

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> Control Panel|Network|"connection"|Properties|Internet
> Protocol|Properties|Advanced|Wins and radio button for "Enable NetBIOS over
> TCP/IP"
>

> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "atwork" wrote:
> | Thanks for the help but XP firewall is not turned on - have a sonicwall
> | device. How do i bind NetBIOS over tcp/ip to the connection?

What exactly is the error message? Any Event Viewer errors?

--

"atwork" wrote:
| Was afraid of that - Radio button already checked. Thanks for your help,
can
| you think of anything else to try?

A domain controller for the domain <domain name> could not be contacted.

there is an event id:2504
the server could not bind to the transport \NetBT_Tcpip_{.......}

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> What exactly is the error message? Any Event Viewer errors?
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "atwork" wrote:
> | Was afraid of that - Radio button already checked. Thanks for your help,
> can
> | you think of anything else to try?

the event was only in there one time. However, I tracked it down and there
are no devices in device manager with a problem. The system has 256 MB of RAM
and the network card has the latest driver.

"atwork" wrote:

> A domain controller for the domain <domain name> could not be contacted.
>
> there is an event id:2504
> the server could not bind to the transport \NetBT_Tcpip_{.......}
>
> "Dave Patrick" wrote:
>
> > What exactly is the error message? Any Event Viewer errors?
> >
> > --
> > Regards,
> >
> > Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
> > Microsoft Certified Professional
> > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
> >
> > "atwork" wrote:
> > | Was afraid of that - Radio button already checked. Thanks for your help,
> > can
> > | you think of anything else to try?

These articles may help.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;331072
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=293403

"atwork" wrote:
|A domain controller for the domain <domain name> could not be contacted.
|
| there is an event id:2504
| the server could not bind to the transport \NetBT_Tcpip_{.......}

Thanks i will look at the articles later

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> These articles may help.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;331072
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=293403

> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "atwork" wrote:
> |A domain controller for the domain <domain name> could not be contacted.
> |
> | there is an event id:2504
> | the server could not bind to the transport \NetBT_Tcpip_{.......}

You're welcome. Hope it helps.