Toms benchmarks

G

How come some of Toms benchmarks can be so hard to understand? I have no idea how to compare his system benhmarks to my own without knowing which settings i will have to run on.

Taking a good example the 7-zip benchmark in this review of the Intel Core i7 990X.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/core-i7-990x-extreme-edition-gulftown,review-32126-8.html

It's free software so of course i would give it a go. However i don't know what he's benchmarking here. It's some sort of syntax command which he measures in seconds which i don't know how to excecute. 7-zip uses it's own benchmark which measures in MIPS but that for some reason he didn't think of it. Then there's the free benhmark Cinebench which the author atleast benchmarked as it should be intended to.

Some sites do a better job posting more exhaustive information about the tests the going to use for benchmarking. I feel Tom's Hardware could do the same. The regular Test Setup page and where Tom post the Application Benchmarks and Settings for the programs should be split up before every benchmark with more throughout settings he's set in them to make it able to make an easier comparison against ones own system.

I regurarely use Toms results against mine but sometimes it's nearly impossible.

Any thoughts of this?

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
Greetings DJ,

We use tools to automate a lot of our tests; this often includes custom workloads and command-line interfaces. Perhaps the CLI syntax is what you're not understanding on the Setup page?

In the case of 7-Zip, it'd be hard to replicate our results unless you were compressing the same files using the same settings. The settings are all laid out very explicitly on the Test Settings page of every story. And, if you wanted the workload file, I'd be happy to send that to you over Skype.

If you're interested, shoot me an email (email and Twitter are the easiest ways to reach me): cangelini at bestofmedia dot com.

All the best,
Chris