More about where quick launch settings stored

    From: "Fran >" <<fran>

    | I want to create a "All User" type of Quick Launch bar for our
    | Telemarketing group. Each time we get a new user I have to manually
    | add all these icons to frequently accessed apps. Is there a way I can
    | create this as a GPO and push it to any computer in the group?
    |
    | I haven't found settings for this yet. Any help is appreciated.
    |
    | -Fran-

    Copy the LNK file to each user's folder....

    C:\Documents and Settings\LOGIN_NAME\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick
    Launch

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    I tried that already...didn't work :( But truly I'm looking for a more
    global solution

    From: "Fran >" <<fran>

    | I tried that already...didn't work :( But truly I'm looking for a more
    | global solution
    |
    >> Copy the LNK file to each user's folder....
    >>
    >> C:\Documents and Settings\LOGIN_NAME\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick
    >> Launch

    That's what I did.
    I pushed .LNK files via a Kixtart Login Script into the User's profile.

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    Can you paste a sample of the script? (please?)

    That sounds like a plan. I tried that copy approach manually but to
    the All Users account and that did nothing :( But to be fair I didn't
    try that using a script to the logon user's account. Does this just
    fire once? If so, how do you control when it fires?

    -Fran-

    On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 18:52:08 -0500, "David H. Lipman"
    <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

    >From: "Fran >" <<fran>
    >
    >| I tried that already...didn't work :( But truly I'm looking for a more
    >| global solution
    >|
    >>> Copy the LNK file to each user's folder....
    >>>
    >>> C:\Documents and Settings\LOGIN_NAME\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick
    >>> Launch
    >
    >That's what I did.
    >I pushed .LNK files via a Kixtart Login Script into the User's profile.

    Putting links in the All Users account doesn't do anything. You have to
    do each account individually.

    Fran < <fran>> wrote:
    > Can you paste a sample of the script? (please?)

    > That sounds like a plan. I tried that copy approach manually but to
    > the All Users account and that did nothing :( But to be fair I didn't
    > try that using a script to the logon user's account. Does this just
    > fire once? If so, how do you control when it fires?

    > -Fran-

    > On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 18:52:08 -0500, "David H. Lipman"
    > <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

    >>From: "Fran >" <<fran>
    >>
    >>| I tried that already...didn't work :( But truly I'm looking for a more
    >>| global solution

    >>That's what I did.
    >>I pushed .LNK files via a Kixtart Login Script into the User's profile.

    --
    Gary L. Smith gls432@yahoo.com
    Columbus, Ohio

    From: "Fran >" <<fran>

    | Can you paste a sample of the script? (please?)
    |
    | That sounds like a plan. I tried that copy approach manually but to
    | the All Users account and that did nothing :( But to be fair I didn't
    | try that using a script to the logon user's account. Does this just
    | fire once? If so, how do you control when it fires?
    |
    | -Fran-

    The idea of a Logon Script is that it is executed each time the user logs onto the Domain
    (NT4 or AD). Since every user has to login to the server to map drive letters, to push
    software HotFixes and to update anti virus software signatures, it is also a good place to
    update user profiles.

    The following script snippet uses the Kixtart script interpreter [ http://kixtart.org,
    Kixtart is CareWare ]

    Note: The News Client will wrap script lines !

    ;Update Counters
    ;----------------------------------------
    ;$rev11 = Certificate Store updates
    ;$rev12 = User registry Updates
    ;$rev13 = Profile Icon updates
    ;----------------------------------------
    $rev11=10
    $rev12=12
    $rev13=7

    ;-------------------------------------------------------
    ; Update User Certificate store
    ;-------------------------------------------------------
    if exist ("%USERPROFILE%\PMO_CERT.$rev11")=0 and ($CALSMACHINE="Y")=1
    ;Command(s) to install *.CER Certificates
    shell 'x:\certmgr -add -c "N:\SWPC\Sym-Root.cer" -s -r localMachine root'
    shell 'x:\certmgr -add -c "N:\SWPC\JDSCA.cer" -s -r localMachine root'
    shell '"N:\SWPC\Corp Certificate\InstallRoot.exe" -s'
    del "%USERPROFILE%\PMO_CERT.*"
    shell '%comspec% /c ipconfig >"%USERPROFILE%\PMO_CERT.$rev11"'
    endif
    ;-------------------------------------------------------
    ; XP User Registry FX
    ;-------------------------------------------------------
    if exist (" %USERPROFILE%\XP-USERREG.$rev12 ")=0 and ($OS="WINNT51")=1
    shell 'regedit /s "$update\XP.reg"'
    del "%USERPROFILE%\XP-USERREG.*"
    shell '%comspec% /c ipconfig >"%USERPROFILE%\XP-USERREG.$rev12"'
    endif
    ;-------------------------------------------
    ; Associate .SWF to IE
    ;-------------------------------------------
    if exist ("%windir%\Flash-to-IE1.txt")=0
    shell 'regedit /s "$update\SWF-Flash.reg"'
    shell '%comspec% /c ipconfig >"%windir%\Flash-to-IE1.txt"'
    endif
    ;-------------------------------------------
    ; Update User Profile
    ;-------------------------------------------
    if exist ("%USERPROFILE%\USR_ICONS.$rev13")=0
    copy "n:\user updates\icons\desktop\*.lnk" "%USERPROFILE%\desktop"
    copy "n:\user updates\icons\QL\Form Flow Filler.lnk" "%USERPROFILE%\Application
    Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch"
    copy "n:\user updates\icons\QL\Adobe Acrobat 7.lnk" "%USERPROFILE%\Application
    Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch"
    del "%USERPROFILE%\USR_ICONS.*"
    shell '%comspec% /c ipconfig >"%USERPROFILE%\USR_ICONS.$rev13"
    endif

    So an update is ONLY perforned once when required, a counter is used such as $rev13=7 The
    script looks for the presence of a "USR_ICONS.xxx" { where xxx is the current revision
    number. }, [see the below script example line #1] in this example; USR_ICONS.7 in the user's
    profile. If the file exists then the update has already has been performed. If the file
    does not exist such as; USR_ICONS.6 then the update will be performed. After the update is
    perforned the update file is deleted by the below script example line #3
    Then a new update file is created with the counter number of the revision. For simplicity I
    use file redirection. I'll call the Command Prompt Interpreter (CMD.EXE) and run the
    IPCONFIG command and redirect its output to the update counter file using the below script
    example line #4

    The next time an update needs to be performed, one would edit the script and increment the
    counter such as; $rev13=8

    If the admin. needs to force the update, just delete the counter file as in the exmple below
    deleting the file
    USR_ICONS.xxx { where xxx is the current revision number. }

    1 -if exist ("%USERPROFILE%\USR_ICONS.$rev13")=0
    2 - ;do function
    3 - del "%USERPROFILE%\USR_ICONS.*"
    4 - shell '%comspec% /c ipconfig >" %USERPROFILE%\USR_ICONS.$rev13"
    5 -endif

    This is how I check to see if an update has been done. Another way is to create a Registry
    key either in HKLM or HKCU and set a number then check the number in that Registry key when
    performing the next update. I prefer writing a disk file with the extension being the
    counter number because it is easier to find and delete a file than work with the Registry.

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    Thanks David. I gather I need this interpreter as well?
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    From: "Fran >" <<fran>

    | Thanks David. I gather I need this interpreter as well?

    http://kixtart.org as a I stated it is CareWare.

    It is also distributed in the NT Resource Kits albeit the Kixtart web server has the latest
    version.

    It is my favourite scripting language and I use it for all sorts of purposes, not just for
    Login Scripts.

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm