First real overclock system, Need some help

Teval

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2006
Hi.

Im planning on buying/upgrading my current system and plan on overclock the new one. Its the first real overclock i have done, so if someone has some hints or comments feel free. I am on a budget that i cant budge to much, so i want the most bang for the buck(dont we always?).

This is what i plan on buying, suggestions of changes are more then welcome:

CPU: Intel Core2Duo E6400
MB: Asus P5B-E
RAM: Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400C4D Dominator 2x1024MB(tot. 2048MB) XMS2-6400 800MHz EPP
CPU Cooling: Tuniq Tower 120 + Silverstone FM121
PSU: Cooltek 600W Modular ATX 2.2

The case im using is a Lian Li PC6070B Silent Miditower with 2xADDA 120mm fans mounted inside.

I will try the lapping thing ive seen guides for, one problem is that it seems really hard to get any paper with higher grit then 1200 locally here, called all the shops and none had any. The only option is to buy from a store from another city and have them ship 2000-3000 grit papers, is it worth the shippingcost for it? Or will i get decent results with 1200 paper?

AMDThunder

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2006
If your budget is that tight, drop to the 6300. Find some less expensive ram as well. Corsair is good, but you're paying for the name.

There's a good guide stickied at the top of the OC/CPU section.

Teval

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2006
If your budget is that tight, drop to the 6300. Find some less expensive ram as well. Corsair is good, but you're paying for the name.

There's a good guide stickied at the top of the OC/CPU section.

This much i can afford to buy now, if i drop to a 6300 and less expensive ram id want to spend the cash saved there on other parts that would be a greater upgrade overall, if you get what i mean. Question then is what would that be :)

Teval

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2006
Be sure to check out the CPU section of OCing. The frist sticky there is a gude for OCing a C2D.

Thanks, and have done that already, the parts i listed seemed like a good deal to me, but i have little experience, hence the thread.

sailer

Splendid
When it comes to lapping, I think its a lot of trouble to go to and doesn't always provide the desired results. If the cpu surface a smooth (it should be) and the heatsink surface is smooth (it ought to be), you shouldn't have any problems. Yes, if the heatsink surface is scratched or warped, then lapping can help, but I haven't personally run into any that were a problem in this reguard.

As to your planned purchases, they look good to me. Buy, build, and enjoy.

Scooby2

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2006
What graphics are you planning on ? If its not some monster SLI combo then you could shave a little of the cost by going ofr a less powerful PSU.

Teval

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2006
That was mostly due to what they had in stock atm, was looking for 4-4-4-12 6400 memory, and they were roughly 300$.

Teval

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2006
What graphics are you planning on ? If its not some monster SLI combo then you could shave a little of the cost by going ofr a less powerful PSU.

8800GTX or GTS solo. Will run with a 7800GT for a month or so before i upgrade. 4xSATA2 HDs also.

Teval

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2006
Ok, bought some of the stuff some days ago, and im pleased with the results so far. Changed some parts after some input:

CPU: Intel Core2Duo E6400
MB: Abit AB9
RAM: A-Data Extreme Edition DDR2 800+

Still running with stock cooling, and got the system prime95 24h stable with 3280MHz without changing voltage in the bios, and running the memory at 4-4-4-12. Anyone have an idea how far i will be able to go with a Tuniq Tower and upping the voltage?

tomhole

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
Take a read through this thread on cooling:

Case airflow study

I have a Lian Li case. The big problem with my case (and yours) is the only source of fresh air are those two fans up front. They suck air in and over the hard drives. This quite effectively preheats the air to 38C or higher. Not good for cooling. I made some simple mods and got my MB temp down12C and CPU temps down 8C. Just a simple change can make all the difference.

Because of the lower temps, I am now confortable and stable at 3.6GHz where before it was 3.2GHz.

Take great care when installing the new HSF. A mistake here will cost you a lot of heat.

Have fun.