recommend anti spyware

I am currently using Ad-Aware but have heard that other anti-spyware
programs can pick up problems that Ad-Aware might miss.

What do you think of Spybot S&D? Or is there something even better?
11 answers Last reply
More about recommend anti spyware

    Spybot Search and Destroy is very good. I use it, as well as Ad-Aware and
    Pest Patrol, in combination with my AVG Anti-Virus and Zone Alarm Pro
    firewall.

    richard wrote:
    > I am currently using Ad-Aware but have heard that other anti-spyware
    > programs can pick up problems that Ad-Aware might miss.
    >
    > What do you think of Spybot S&D? Or is there something even better?

    To deal with issues caused by any sort of "adware" and/or
    "spyware,"such as Gator, Comet Cursors, Xupiter, Bonzai Buddy, or KaZaA,
    and their remnants, that you've deliberately (but without understanding
    the consequences) installed, two products that are quite effective (at
    finding and removing this type of scumware) are Ad-Aware from
    www.lavasoft.de and SpyBot Search & Destroy from
    www.safer-networking.org/. Both have free versions. It's even possible
    to use SpyBot Search & Destroy to "immunize" your system against most
    future intrusions. I use both and generally perform manual scans every
    week or so to clean out cookies, etc.

    Additionally, manual removal instructions for the most common
    varieties of scumware are available here:

    PC Hell Spyware and Adware Removal Help
    http://www.pchell.com/support/spyware.shtml

    More information and assistance is available at these sites:

    Blocking Ads, Parasites, and Hijackers with a Hosts File
    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

    The Parasite Fight
    http://www.aumha.org/a/parasite.htm

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    In news:u7S0n4r%23EHA.3820@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl,
    richard <rmk@wonderland.net> typed:

    >I am currently using Ad-Aware but have heard that other
    >anti-spyware
    > programs can pick up problems that Ad-Aware might miss.
    >
    > What do you think of Spybot S&D? Or is there something even
    > better?

    The combination of the two is good. You might also consider
    adding Spyware Blaster and Spyware Guard.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    Kevin wrote:
    > Spybot Search and Destroy is very good. I use it, as well as Ad-Aware and
    > Pest Patrol, in combination with my AVG Anti-Virus and Zone Alarm Pro
    > firewall.
    >
    > "richard" <rmk@wonderland.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>I am currently using Ad-Aware but have heard that other anti-spyware
    >>programs can pick up problems that Ad-Aware might miss.
    >>
    >>What do you think of Spybot S&D? Or is there something even better?

    Thanks for the advice. Here's a question: I installed and ran Spybot
    several times and it got rid of several problems, but one set of
    problems (in red) returns each time--five registry files listed under
    DSO Exploit. I can't read the entire entries but each begins with a User
    key, software, Microsoft Windows.....

    Any idea about this or where I could go to find out?
    Thanks

    richard wrote:
    > Kevin wrote:
    >
    >> Spybot Search and Destroy is very good. I use it, as well as Ad-Aware
    >> and
    >> Pest Patrol, in combination with my AVG Anti-Virus and Zone Alarm Pro
    >> firewall.
    >>
    >> "richard" <rmk@wonderland.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> I am currently using Ad-Aware but have heard that other anti-spyware
    >>> programs can pick up problems that Ad-Aware might miss.
    >>>
    >>> What do you think of Spybot S&D? Or is there something even better?
    >>

    > Thanks for the advice. Here's a question: I installed and ran Spybot
    > several times and it got rid of several problems, but one set of
    > problems (in red) returns each time--five registry files listed under
    > DSO Exploit. I can't read the entire entries but each begins with a User
    > key, software, Microsoft Windows.....
    >
    > Any idea about this or where I could go to find out?
    > Thanks

    The DSO exploit thing is a known bug in SS&D. Go here to download the
    fix: http://tinyurl.com/683qm

    richard wrote:

    > Thanks for the advice. Here's a question: I installed and ran Spybot
    > several times and it got rid of several problems, but one set of
    > problems (in red) returns each time--five registry files listed under
    > DSO Exploit. I can't read the entire entries but each begins with a User
    > key, software, Microsoft Windows.....

    The DSO exploit was patched long ago by IE Cumulative Update
    MS02-015, in March of 2002. If you've installed this specific patch,
    or any subsequent IE Cumulative Updates, IE Service Pack 1, or WinXP
    SP2, you're safe. It would appear that the latest version of SpyBot
    S&D is only checking for Internet zone settings in the registry that
    could be used as work-around protection, and not for the presence of
    any corrective patches. Hopefully, the makers of SpyBot will soon fix
    this bug.

    MS02-015 March 28, 2002 Cumulative Patch for Internet Explorer
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;319182

    If you like, you can test your system for this particular
    vulnerability at this web site:
    http://www.grey.com/security/advisories/gm001-ie/

    The makers of SpyBot S&D have acknowledged the problem and will
    fix it on their next update:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?page=paragraphs&detail=currentfaqs

    In the meantime, in SpyBot S&D, click Mode > Advanced > Settings >
    Ignore Products > Security > DSO Exploit, to turn off the false alarm.

    Some people have reported that the SpyBot Detection rules dated 30
    Aug 04, or newer, when used with SpyBot S&D 1.3.1TX, will fix this
    problem. However, I've had inconsistent results with that particular
    detection update; sometimes it reads clean, then later it will once
    again find the DSO problem, and then it will read clean again, all on
    the same machine, with no other changes made.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Ad-Aware desn't detect Spyware, just Adware. Follow Kevin's advice.

    --

    johnf

    >I am currently using Ad-Aware but have heard that other anti-spyware
    > programs can pick up problems that Ad-Aware might miss.
    >
    > What do you think of Spybot S&D? Or is there something even better?

    They are frequently the same thing, unless you are referring to spyware in
    the sense of a trojan - in which case no ad/spy program is going to help.
    For that type of "spyware", you need an updated antivirus program, and often
    times a bit of system editing skills.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    In news:OE7UfPs%23EHA.2156@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    johnf <john_f@bigREMOVEpond.net.au> typed:

    > Ad-Aware desn't detect Spyware, just Adware. Follow Kevin's
    > advice.

    Most people use the terms "spware" and "adware" interchangeably,
    as synonyms. Both Ad-Aware and SS&D detect and eliminate malware
    of this category.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    >>I am currently using Ad-Aware but have heard that other
    >>anti-spyware
    >> programs can pick up problems that Ad-Aware might miss.
    >>
    >> What do you think of Spybot S&D? Or is there something even
    >> better?

    "johnf" <john_f@bigREMOVEpond.net.au> wrote in message
    > Ad-Aware desn't detect Spyware, just Adware.

    Wrong.

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

    Bruce Chambers wrote:
    > The DSO exploit was patched long ago by IE Cumulative Update
    > MS02-015, in March of 2002. If you've installed this specific patch,
    [snip]
    > Some people have reported that the SpyBot Detection rules dated 30
    > Aug 04, or newer, when used with SpyBot S&D 1.3.1TX, will fix this
    > problem. However, I've had inconsistent results with that particular
    > detection update; sometimes it reads clean, then later it will once
    > again find the DSO problem, and then it will read clean again, all on
    > the same machine, with no other changes made.

    I don't think I have ever once made a run with Spybot on an XP system and
    _not_ seen the DSO exploit "detected". My latest run was made yesterday with
    updated signatures on the computer belonging to an old lady who had some
    malware installed on her computer.

Spybot Anti Spyware Microsoft Windows XP