ASUS or DFI?

sailer

Splendid
I've recently run into some problems with my ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe board. There have been reported problems with the ram, but the ram works fine in a different computer. Memtest86 will report over 600 ram errors, but again, in a different comuter, no problem. Sometimes Prime95 goes all night without error, sometimes it errors out within 30 minutes. I've had e-mail dialogs with Corsiar and they think the board has gone bad.

So my conundrum; do I replace the board with a new ASUS board for $169.00, or venture into a DFI board for about $20.00 less. ASUS has good tech, DFI is reported to have little or no tech backup. I'm familiar with ASUS boards, but have never used a DFI board. Supposedly, the DFI board is better, but it looks weird compared to what I'm used to. Weird doesn't mean bad, just very different.

Any opinions on which way to go, and why? Also, if a DFI SLI type board is suggested, which model? Oh yes, this is for a AMD 939 FX60 cpu and I'm only interested in replacing the mobo at this point. NO C2D Suggestions! I'm planning a complete new build in about 6 months, at which time the present computer gets given to my kid.

crazypyro

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2006
well look at these two companies this way

DFI: Enthusuiasts company, only tech support the people that buy there products should need is BIOS updates, RMA/DOA services or a bad board. There boards are meant for people who know what they're doing.

Asus: Consumer company that offers enthusiast level boards, which is why they have more errors, but incredibly good tech support. They mass produce more boards than DFI so there more prone to errors.

I may have over exaggerated or under exaggerated DFI and Asus, but from my perspective thats how they are. From my past experience with 2 Asus boards for my Barton and my dads experience with his 754 socket, i am somewhat bitter towards them. Mean while my DFI on 939 was flawless till my video card short circuted and fried the PCI-e socket.

For my money DFI is my choice.