Sign in with
Your question

What happened to my Motherboard and power connector

Last response: in Motherboards
December 19, 2006 6:08:15 PM

Recently my computer started shutting down on its on or crashing when left on screen saver. Then a few days later my graphics card died...and then I noticed that the white plastic on one of the pins of my 20 pin motherboard power connector was black and completely burned through the white plastic to the metal. My old power supply died out 3 months ago and I got a new 400 watt one then.

Please see the following post I made at another site for PICTURES of the motherboard and 20 pin connector. Thanks.

PICTURES

I am running a
p 4 2.4 Ghz system on Ibit IS7 motherboard
1.5 gb memory,
DVDR/W and a CDR/W,
120 gb PATA and 160 gb SATA HD.
32 mb GeForce 2 graphics card
with a 400 W Power supply.

Can anyone else help me as to what could have caused this. Do I need a new motherboard and power supply now? Lastly did my graphics card also burnout because of the powersupply? If anyone can help me out I'll greatly appreciate. Thank You.
a c 435 V Motherboard
a b ) Power supply
December 19, 2006 8:13:56 PM

Take some of the previous advice and get a better power supply first before you buy anything else. Antec, enermax, seasonic, fortron, and pc power and cooling are all decent. Hope you get one of these brands. Some people are so foolish to spend alot on every other component and not have enough left for a quality ps.
December 20, 2006 1:04:32 AM

Quote:
Recently my computer started shutting down on its on or crashing when left on screen saver. Then a few days later my graphics card died...and then I noticed that the white plastic on one of the pins of my 20 pin motherboard power connector was black and completely burned through the white plastic to the metal. My old power supply died out 3 months ago and I got a new 400 watt one then.

Please see the following post I made at another site for PICTURES of the motherboard and 20 pin connector. Thanks.

PICTURES

I am running a
p 4 2.4 Ghz system on Ibit IS7 motherboard
1.5 gb memory,
DVDR/W and a CDR/W,
120 gb PATA and 160 gb SATA HD.
32 mb GeForce 2 graphics card
with a 400 W Power supply.

Can anyone else help me as to what could have caused this. Do I need a new motherboard and power supply now? Lastly did my graphics card also burnout because of the powersupply? If anyone can help me out I'll greatly appreciate. Thank You.

I don't know why your GC burnt out - strange :?

:?: What sign of damage is visible with the GC?

Those mass produced ATX plugs can be faulty from new :( 

Could have been loose/bad connection on pin.

Doesn't mean there is another fault that caused it, though it could be :idea:

:?: Check out what voltage that pin is - interesting to know.

:?: How is the aux 4 pin plug/socket?
Related resources
December 21, 2006 6:29:13 AM

Alrite so now I replaced my motherboard and powersupply and the computer seems to boot fine.

I am not sure if I can boot from my old hard drive. It crashes and resets the computer everytime the windows logo comes up. I can't even get into safe mode.

After replacing the motherboard which has it own videocard/audio drivers/lan drivers do I need to start with a fresh copy of windows or is there any way I can repair the old one. Thank you. I really appreciate your help.
a c 435 V Motherboard
a b ) Power supply
December 21, 2006 9:09:15 AM

I recommend a fresh install if your new board has a different chipset. I just replaced a board, but win 2k booted up fine, and all I had to do was load the motherboard drivers and manually change one usb root device that wouldn't load on it's own.
December 21, 2006 8:24:58 PM

hmmm...Alrite I installed a fresh copy of Windows 2000 sp4 + Rev 1 and 2 in my 160 gb sata drive. Everything was going well. My computer was on for 1 hr+ . Then all I did was shutdown connect a chasis fan and my other IDE 120 gb hd as backup. This was my previous OS HD, but now back up. All I did after that was intall AVG and was in the middle of installing IE-6 that my computer did the same thing it was doing before. It restarted randomly without warning. I thought it was a one time thing and after the restart I kept on installing software and then it restarted spontaneouuly again in 10 min and then again in about 10 min and then last two time it restarted within 1 minute of windows loading up. I removed the chasis fan and the second hd that I added after the computer had been well for 1hr plus and still same results it restarts within 1 min of windows 2000 loading up.

Anyone know what could be causing this? I replaced the mobo and powersupply already. The videocard is also new as I am using the itegrated one from the mobo.

I though the CPU was overheating but my CPU temp was about 30 each time that I checked? What could be causing my system to restart again and again. Is it a software/virus or hardware? Any help will be very much appreciated. Thank you very much. Everyone has been a great support so far. Thanks.
December 21, 2006 11:25:43 PM

Quote:
hmmm...Alrite I installed a fresh copy of Windows 2000 sp4 + Rev 1 and 2 in my 160 gb sata drive. Everything was going well. My computer was on for 1 hr+ . Then all I did was shutdown connect a chasis fan and my other IDE 120 gb hd as backup. This was my previous OS HD, but now back up. All I did after that was intall AVG and was in the middle of installing IE-6 that my computer did the same thing it was doing before. It restarted randomly without warning. I thought it was a one time thing and after the restart I kept on installing software and then it restarted spontaneouuly again in 10 min and then again in about 10 min and then last two time it restarted within 1 minute of windows loading up. I removed the chasis fan and the second hd that I added after the computer had been well for 1hr plus and still same results it restarts within 1 min of windows 2000 loading up.

Anyone know what could be causing this? I replaced the mobo and powersupply already. The videocard is also new as I am using the itegrated one from the mobo.

I though the CPU was overheating but my CPU temp was about 30 each time that I checked? What could be causing my system to restart again and again. Is it a software/virus or hardware? Any help will be very much appreciated. Thank you very much. Everyone has been a great support so far. Thanks.

Check and see 8O what programs are loaded and running in the background.
December 21, 2006 11:38:22 PM

Do you want a list of all program or is there anything in specific you are looking for?
December 22, 2006 6:13:17 AM

Quote:
Do you want a list of all program or is there anything in specific you are looking for?

Just go through them and check to see if any unusual programs that you think should not be there.

You can close them using Ctrl Alt Del.

But don't close the good one's :wink:

There is a website that lists what programs are for.

I will post it next week when I remember the web address :) 
December 23, 2006 10:51:19 AM

Quote:

Don't think that it is your 'puter in anyway check your mains,wall outlet,
see if there could be any other machinery of some kind connected,could even be intermittent,if your home uses fuses chech that it is a slow burn,if not then make sure that the breaker,for your circuit, is seated firmly..
BTW ,,You don't live out in the country,do you,or near any heavy power users???
!