Looking for reasons not to rename administrator password

We are running server 2000. My supervisor wants to rename the administrators
login and he wants to keep the administrator account but give it zero access.
I really do not want to do this. I think the administrator account is too
important to mess with. I feel if you have a good enogh password policy and
change the password often enough then there will not be a problem. He wants
reasons why we should not make this change. I am looking for reasons as to
why we should not make this change. Any help is greatly appreciated.
2 answers Last reply
More about looking reasons rename administrator password

    "cleb1" <cleb1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > We are running server 2000. My supervisor wants to rename the
    administrators
    > login and he wants to keep the administrator account but give it zero
    access.
    > I really do not want to do this. I think the administrator account is too
    > important to mess with. I feel if you have a good enogh password policy
    and
    > change the password often enough then there will not be a problem. He
    wants
    > reasons why we should not make this change. I am looking for reasons as
    > why we should not make this change. Any help is greatly appreciated.

    As long as there is at least 1other account that has administrator access
    then changing the name and setting the rights to zero is a good idea,
    most hackers know the account "Administrator" and therefore only have to
    guess the password, removing or renaming the admin account
    doubles the work the hacker has.

    As your supervisor and someone higher up the company I would trust his
    judgement.

    Jud

    The only thing I can think of to be aware of when messing with the
    administrator account is services, make sure no services have been assigned
    to logon with the Administrator account specifically.

    Nick

    "Jud" wrote:

    > "cleb1" <cleb1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > We are running server 2000. My supervisor wants to rename the
    > administrators
    > > login and he wants to keep the administrator account but give it zero
    > access.
    > > I really do not want to do this. I think the administrator account is too
    > > important to mess with. I feel if you have a good enogh password policy
    > and
    > > change the password often enough then there will not be a problem. He
    > wants
    > > reasons why we should not make this change. I am looking for reasons as
    > > why we should not make this change. Any help is greatly appreciated.
    >
    > As long as there is at least 1other account that has administrator access
    > then changing the name and setting the rights to zero is a good idea,
    > most hackers know the account "Administrator" and therefore only have to
    > guess the password, removing or renaming the admin account
    > doubles the work the hacker has.
    >
    > As your supervisor and someone higher up the company I would trust his
    > judgement.
    >
    > Jud

Microsoft Windows