Powersave and No CTRL ALT DELETE need monitor to turn off

Hopefully this is the correct Forum...

Problem = Workstations set to have CTRL-ALT-DELETE disabled, but for network
security reason we need to have a warning Screen to let users know about
inproper use of the network. So between user log-ins the Warning Screen sits
on the screen, for some reason at this screen the monitors will not turn off
(power saving mode) - it will work at the Login Screen and it will work if I
enable the CTRL - ALT - DELETE Screen /// Therefore alot of monitors are
getting burned in and then they will not be covered by warranty. I can not
get the power save feature to work when the computer is sitting at this
screen.

--- I have already tried to overwrite the keys in the .Default user, and I
have already got it to work at one minutes (for some reason this time length
works) --- I can Not enable the Press CTRL-ALT-Delete screen /// If anyone
has everyheard of the problem and has a solution for me I would greatly
appreciate some help...

Sounds like in this case you may want(if BIOS supports it) to set
hardware power management.

GrantRMorgan wrote:

> Hopefully this is the correct Forum...
>
> Problem = Workstations set to have CTRL-ALT-DELETE disabled, but for network
> security reason we need to have a warning Screen to let users know about
> inproper use of the network. So between user log-ins the Warning Screen sits
> on the screen, for some reason at this screen the monitors will not turn off
> (power saving mode) - it will work at the Login Screen and it will work if I
> enable the CTRL - ALT - DELETE Screen /// Therefore alot of monitors are
> getting burned in and then they will not be covered by warranty. I can not
> get the power save feature to work when the computer is sitting at this
> screen.
>
> --- I have already tried to overwrite the keys in the .Default user, and I
> have already got it to work at one minutes (for some reason this time length
> works) --- I can Not enable the Press CTRL-ALT-Delete screen /// If anyone
> has everyheard of the problem and has a solution for me I would greatly
> appreciate some help...

Bob I - I appreciate your help, but with much testing this is what I have
discovered...

If the system has the CTRL-ALT-DELETE dialog box disabled, but has a
Security Warning Dialog box before the user logs in ... here is a work
around...

In HKEY_USERS (in the registry of course) Change the following Keys to these
values:
[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop]
"ScreenSaveActive"="1"
"ScreenSaverIsSecure"="1" --- doesn't really matter not used
"ScreenSaveTimeOut"="60"
"SCRNSAVE.EXE"="logon.scr"

At the Security Warning Dialog Box the .Default settings are used (.Default
is not associated with the Default User Profile) except the (Monitor)
PowerOff Settings

Once the Screen Saver becomes active it will then use the Last user's
Powersave configuration, which will then power down your monitor.

Note - If you set your .Default Screen Saver to 1 minute and the Last_user
has a Power Management - Monitor Off setting at 15 Minutes ---- The screen
saver will kick on at 1 minute and the Monitor will power off 14 minutes
later.

Hopefully this helps someone else out... I only spent about 8 hours figuring
out the relationships

Grant Richard Morgan
gmorgan618@charter.net

Good sleuth job. Thank you for posting your solution.

GrantRMorgan wrote:

> Bob I - I appreciate your help, but with much testing this is what I have
> discovered...
>
> If the system has the CTRL-ALT-DELETE dialog box disabled, but has a
> Security Warning Dialog box before the user logs in ... here is a work
> around...
>
> In HKEY_USERS (in the registry of course) Change the following Keys to these
> values:
> [HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop]
> "ScreenSaveActive"="1"
> "ScreenSaverIsSecure"="1" --- doesn't really matter not used
> "ScreenSaveTimeOut"="60"
> "SCRNSAVE.EXE"="logon.scr"
>
> At the Security Warning Dialog Box the .Default settings are used (.Default
> is not associated with the Default User Profile) except the (Monitor)
> PowerOff Settings
>
> Once the Screen Saver becomes active it will then use the Last user's
> Powersave configuration, which will then power down your monitor.
>
> Note - If you set your .Default Screen Saver to 1 minute and the Last_user
> has a Power Management - Monitor Off setting at 15 Minutes ---- The screen
> saver will kick on at 1 minute and the Monitor will power off 14 minutes
> later.
>
> Hopefully this helps someone else out... I only spent about 8 hours figuring
> out the relationships
>
> Grant Richard Morgan
> gmorgan618@charter.net

TRENDING THREADS